Jul 29 2013
By: Arkthur_us I Only Post Everything 1042 posts

Video Games Best Superhero Isn't Coming Back

5 replies 223 views Edited Jul 29, 2013

Source: http://kotaku.com/video-games-best-superhero-isnt-coming-back-from-the-912967293

Earlier this year, I asked Fox about which Infamous ending figures into the timeline leading up to Second Son. He really couldn't answer me then. But, last week he told me that it's the good ending—with Cole surrendering his life for the greater good—that’s now official Infamouscontinuity.

How'd Sucker Punch make that decision? They looked at how people played. “We decided to work on the new game and we were trying decide which ending was canon,” Fox told me.“We looked at trophy data and 78 percent of our users went good. They made this choice, this heroic sacrifice to end Cole’s life. We thought, ‘Well, this is awesome.’ In a game about choices with consequences, why not have the whole franchise move along with what players think is right?”

The move to PS4 also dovetailed with Sucker Punch’s creative desires. “We were eager to tell a new story with a new hero,” Fox said. Transitioning to that was always part of the dev team’s goals. “The multiple endings of Infamous 2 kind of set the world up to be very filled with Conduits [the game’s term for superpowered humans] and other kinds of intricacies. And that [good] ending was very much written to be kind of an open door for a sequel that would have a lot of embedded tension and action in it.”

“We were good either way, though. The fact that people decided to sacrifice Cole, that’s cool. We just rolled with it. We’ve got a new character with a new origin story, new powers, new city. That’s a great fresh new experience as well.”

But, really, no resurrection for Cole? “Cole is dead and he’s not going to be appearing in Second Son. Period.” That’s Sucker Punch co-founder Brian Fleming stating definitively that players won’t be seeing the former bike messenger in the upcoming Infamous game. “I get that in comic books the only person that’s ever really dead is Uncle Ben,” said Fox in response. “People come back all the time. Even though [resurrection is] totally a convention in comic books, we want to make a game that feels like it has its foundation in reality. And that, when you make a choice, there’s a consequence and that consequence will genuinely change things. We don’t really want to play fast and loose with claiming somebody’s gone and then trotting them out in the next game, like we didn’t mean it. It cheapens the choices unless you stick to your guns.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buuu =/

Message 1 of 6 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
100 posts

Re: Video Games Best Superhero Isn't Coming Back

Jul 30, 2013

I thought Cole was a great character, and thought I wish he was the center of another game, I understand why they are not bringing him back.  The ending of 2 was a great ending and a great conclusion for the character.

"Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
-Lord Tennyson "Ulysses"

Message 2 of 6 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Aug 6, 2013

Gamings best superhero? Lolwut

Message 3 of 6 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Aug 18, 2013

It's a shame that he is gone.

Message 4 of 6 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

Aug 18, 2013

LAST_REAL_GAMER wrote:

if he's not it, who is? Cole McGrath is awesome in every way, I don't know any character being better, perhaps Batman from the Batman Arkham Series, but that's unfair, because he's around for way longer before the games :smileyhappy:

Message 5 of 6 (159 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Aug 18, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

LAST_REAL_GAMER wrote:

if he's not it, who is? Cole McGrath is awesome in every way, I don't know any character being better, perhaps Batman from the Batman Arkham Series, but that's unfair, because he's around for way longer before the games :smileyhappy:

Cole is the best, nobody can deny that. Although a match between him and Bats would be interesting lol.

Message 6 of 6 (156 Views)
0 Likes