Last Guardian
11832 posts

Re: PS Plus on PS4

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013
These companies find other ways to make their money, like the f2p games, they rely on micro transactions to make their income.
Most fps games rely on a individual or a website to run the servers for the players to play on. So those companies are not really affected by costs of running a server for a game.

Ps.. You should understand there was an uproar when Microsoft announced it will cost money to access Xbox live when they first announced the service... And look at them now... Still going strong.. People got over it.. After realizing how it made the service better. Honestly I feel that was one thing Microsoft done right.. The online experience was much better on the 360 than it was on the ps3.

>

Message 21 of 83 (314 Views)
Wastelander
809 posts

Jul 8, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:

• Many people hate this - Vocal minority on the PlayStation Community forums which is not a representative sample of all prospective PS4 owners
  • The majority of gamers do think it's absurd to pay to play online, that's why the PS2 & PS3 outsold the competition that charged for online play
  • The PS4 won't sell because of this - False. If the amount pre-orders over the past few weeks have told you nothing just look around the internet. Most people do not care or happily embrace this gift
  • Mostly becuase of MS's stumbling with it's DRM policies that were recently abolished.
  • I can't pay for it - At $50 for a year ($4.17 per month) it isn't out of anyone's reach that is able to purchase a PS4. How do you expect to pay for games if $50 is an astronomical figure?
  • If competing companies can offer the same services for free, why can't Sony anymore?
  • I'd pay for a more expensive console in order - You. Not the average consumer that must be considered. Not to mention the fact that keeping the network online is a recurring fee whereas the PS4 purchase is a one time payment.
  • The main reason why the PS4 is cheaper than the Xbox one is becuase it no longer includes the PS4 Camera
  • don't want to pay for it - E-n-t-i-t-l-e-m-e-n-t. Entitlement
  • Again, competing services available for free
  • My principles - Are not to be considered when buying a console. If it bothers you that you, fully capable, must pay consider the poor soul that made the clothes you're wearing before you even mention principles.
  • But you are forgetting there are other options besides the PS4 out there including the Xbox One
  • PSN has been free forever, why change / Bait and switch - Yes, Sony has been graceful enough to pay the costs for free online play since the PS2. Now they want to cover some of those costs and improve the network. Your already flaky loyalty doesn't pay anything.
  • The PSN is already self-sustaining, Sony has been able to recoup the cost of maintaing the PSN for    a few years now
  • Sony said PSN will alway be free, liars - PSN will remain free on the PS3 and PS Vita.
  • They did say the PSN would remain for free forever.
  • What is to stop Sony from asking us to pay for other stuff - Oh the horror. Unless you worry about Siri paving the way for Skynet's self awareness I don't think that is a valid concern.
  • Yes what is to stop Sony from raising the price of PS Plus in the future?
  • Why should I pay for services (Cloud/Free Games/Discounts/etc.) that I won't touch just to play online - When I had cable I didn't pick and choose the ten channels I would watch and just pay for those.
  • Last time I checked those features are available with a PS Plus sub, like I said before I have nothing against PS Plus and I personlly think that it's a fantastic service, but putting online play behind a PS Plus sub is ridiculous.
  • PC gaming is free - Not the same thing
  • How is it not the same thing?
  • I need to know how many servers are going to be added before I pay (somone actually said this) - Why? That is a ludicrous request. Once you have the number then what?
  • I'm not even sure how to respond to that

My gaming history - NES, PS1, PS2, GBA SP, NDS, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One
Message 22 of 83 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jul 8, 2013

cross12095 wrote:

• What a load of BS, servers are servers, there's no such thing as better or worse servers, they are all the same. Also I don't see ppl complaing about the security on Steam.

Yes, actually, Steam has been hacked, and it was not a small deal:

SOURCE: http://kotaku.com/5858473/steam-hacked-valve-investigating-possible-credit-card-theft

Here's all the rack-mounted servers available on TigerDirect right now.  They're different.

ISPs offer different bandwidth.  The cost varies with service.

There is a difference.

Good. Day. To. You. Sir.

*drops mic*

Grindhead_Jim

Message 23 of 83 (293 Views)
Last Guardian
11832 posts

Jul 8, 2013
Competing services..? Most online games, not including memos and free to play memos, depends on mostly the users to provide the servers to play on.. But I bet if activist on where to make a call of duty game for the PC and provides the servers themselves for the public to use, I bet they would charge for it..

Cross bottom line is you are speaking for the minority,

Hey, oh on a side note. I like your user icon, it looks like a squirrel that is about to be run over by a train
>

Message 24 of 83 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
464 posts

Jul 8, 2013

It's only MULTIPLAYER online you have to have PS+ for. Regular online should still be free (I think).

photo giphydgd.gif
"Hey look a PS4 for sale! Quick someone get it before it's sold!!"
Message 25 of 83 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

SOURCE: http://kotaku.com/5858473/steam-hacked-valve-investigating-possible-credit-card-theft

Here's all the rack-mounted servers available on TigerDirect right now.  They're different.

There is a difference.

Good. Day. To. You. Sir.

*drops mic*

Do you honestly believe that Sony buys it's servers from TigerDirect, yes there is always an initial investment in building an online infastructure up but companies always come up with a way to recoup their costs just like what Sony did with the PSN in its current state

Also hackers always find a way to steal information, it doesn't matter if the service is free or not.

prime example - http://www.businessinsider.com/china-hacked-us-military-weapons-systems-2013-5

Message 26 of 83 (277 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jul 8, 2013

cross12095 wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

There is a difference.

Good. Day. To. You. Sir.

*drops mic*

Do you honestly believe that Sony buys it's servers from TigerDirect, yes there is always an initial investment in building an online infrastructure up but companies always come up with a way to recoup their costs just like what Sony did with the PSN in its current state

Also hackers always find a way to steal information, it doesn't matter if the service is free or not.

prime example - http://www.businessinsider.com/china-hacked-us-military-weapons-systems-2013-5

You're not defending your point.  You're attempting to make new ones that hold even less water, and are even less relevant.

Hackers exist and hack whatever they want - irrelevant.  You said no one complained about Steam ever getting hacked.  They got hacked, and people complained.

Sony can buy servers from wherever they want - irrelevant.  Different server configurations exist, and they cost different amounts of money.

Neither of these assertions change the fact that you made assertions that were wrong.  Not opinions, assertions that you stated as fact, when they are false. 

Try again, if you enjoy being made a fool.  I'll be here.  Your frustration entertains me.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 27 of 83 (267 Views)
Wastelander
809 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

Teus wrote:
Competing services..? Most online games, not including memos and free to play memos, depends on mostly the users to provide the servers to play on.. But I bet if activist on where to make a call of duty game for the PC and provides the servers themselves for the public to use, I bet they would charge for it..

Cross bottom line is you are speaking for the minority,

Hey, oh on a side note. I like your user icon, it looks like a squirrel that is about to be run over by a train - Thnx got it from awhile back from a PS Plus sub

Again Free Online from competing companies

Sony - PSN_logo.png PS3, PSP, PSVITA

Microsoft - GFWL_transparent.png PC

Valve - Square_Steam_Logo.png PC, PS3

EA - origin_logo.jpeg PS3, PC

Ubisoft - Uplay_logo.jpg PS3, Wii U, PC

Nintendo -  Wii U, 3DS

Message 28 of 83 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Grind5

You're not defending your point.  You're attempting to make new ones that hold even less water, and are even less relevant.

Hackers exist and hack whatever they want - irrelevant.  You said no one complained about Steam ever getting hacked.  They got hacked, and people complained. - I never said Steam was never hacked

Sony can buy servers from wherever they want - irrelevant.  Different server configurations exist, and they cost different amounts of money. - Like I said there is always an initial investment when building up a new service infrastructure and it is the companies responsibility to make the service they are providing profitable. Also it's not like Sony is building the PSN for the PS4 up from scratch the already have the foundation laid out.

Message 29 of 83 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11832 posts

Jul 8, 2013
You realize none of those platforms prevents a developer form charging to use their game online...

Not even steam...
And you have to realize things change.. Just like the ps4 dropping the multi a/v out port, (yes it's confirmed that it will be Hdmi only)
You just can't always expect things to go the way it always went,

it's either you embrace the change or you don't, that is your choice but don't go crying to mommy when you suddenly find yourself no longer able to play online.. Because it is always possible things may also change on the PC side
>

Message 30 of 83 (247 Views)