MVP Support
12918 posts

Re: How many customers will Sony lose because of Pay to Play?

Jul 17, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

People who claim that paying for Plus is too much of an issue will get over it. It may be a hassle for some, but it is necessary at this point for the service to get better. 

They are either kids without a constant income or stubborn adults. Both will cave if they enjoy gaming. Kids will save up and buy a bunch at once. Adults will decide that they want to play with their friends.

To a point. I might look into getting it... but for the most part I play off line anyways. So it wouldn't be a huge deal there.

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 11 of 197 (444 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
415 posts

Jul 17, 2013

None. You can still play the Ps4 offline.

photo 241cbbb8-c0fa-4ff8-92f5-868a50a26232.jpg
Message 12 of 197 (439 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 17, 2013

Litsa_Kardassis wrote:
As I've always felt, if you cant afford $50-$60 a year to play online, you should probably not play so many games and get a better paying job. Cruel, maybe, but the honest truth.

It's not about what one can afford.  I could afford $10,000 a year to play online, but is that ethical?  It's about drawing the line in the sand.  I only have internet for the games.  I'm paying over $600 a year to play online.  That's where I draw the line.  Anyone who thinks I'm not paying enough has a mental disorder.

Plus seems nice at first, you get a lot of free stuff.  But that's how they entice you and once everyone's on board all that free stuff is gonna go away. 

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 13 of 197 (429 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7867 posts

Jul 17, 2013
Honestly, from a business stand point.

Users lost to ps+ mandatory < users gained from xbox defectors.
Hey That Chris signature
Message 14 of 197 (423 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
392 posts

Jul 17, 2013
I paid $10 more for Xbox live, and recieved nothing but the ability to use Netflix, and game online. At least I get the instant game collection with PS+, and it doesn't block me using thingslike Netflix if my membership lapses. I believe the revenue generated will be put to good use improving infrastructure on the PSN so I don't mind. I really don't think it will affect the customer base as far as numbers go. I believe that the Playstation community will actually grow with this generation, especially with all the Xbox 360 users jumping ship, and I haven't heard one person say they are a long time Playstation user switching to the Xbox One.
Baptism's of Fire
Photobucket
Message 15 of 197 (418 Views)
Sackboy
469 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 17, 2013

People should come to terms with the fact that society nowadays can and will make us pay for almost everything. Deal with it. If you can't afford to play online, get a job.

As for moving to PC, have fun upgrading your PC every 6 months to play games. I'm sure PS+ would be about the same cost in the long run.

Punfisher wrote:

It's not about what one can afford.  I could afford $10,000 a year to play online, but is that ethical?  It's about drawing the line in the sand.  I only have internet for the games.  I'm paying over $600 a year to play online.  That's where I draw the line.  Anyone who thinks I'm not paying enough has a mental disorder.

Plus seems nice at first, you get a lot of free stuff.  But that's how they entice you and once everyone's on board all that free stuff is gonna go away. 

I'm pretty sure mankind has been babied their way passed the point of standing up to money-hungry companies. The only way we could change anything is if we boycott them, sign petetions, send mass e-mails, etc. But, of course, the majority of people are too lazy/don't care enough to do such things, so we're left to suffer the consequences. 

------------------------------------------------
Message 16 of 197 (415 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
2943 posts

Jul 17, 2013

I'd say none. I've been paying for PS+ for quite some time now and will continue to do so. Xbox Live Gold is 60 bucks a month and to my knowledge you need to pay to access features like Netflix, Free to Play games, etc. but on the PS4 without a payed subscription you can still access those features + play free to play games without one. I'm not sure if those were just murmurs or fact. It'd be counter intuitive for someone to go from Sony to Xbox for subscription due to the fact that Xbox Live is 10 bucks more expensive yearly. 

Message 17 of 197 (401 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Jul 17, 2013

I think we're gonna see more gamers just hang up their hat and call it quits.  Older gamers like myself have just about reached our limits with all the BS.  This young generation has been desensitized and groomed to eat fecal matter on a dinner plate and smile.  They're gonna go wherever Sony wants to take 'em.  Used to be, the industry listened to consumers and gave them what they wanted.  But times are changing and the customer is always wrong anymore.  This younger generation is ok with that.

I've got almost 40 PS3 games on my shelf, and once my PS3 dies I won't be able to play them anymore.  No backwards compatibility.  Not because of any new technology, but it's all about $$$$.  And I'm already paying $600 a year to play online and now they want to add more fees.  Games aren't even finished when they're released like they used to be.  Now days you have to download the rest of the game and pay extra money for it.  It goes on and on.  This younger generation doesn't have a problem with anything.  The industry has been grooming these kids for a long time.  Many of them are just becoming adults now and the industry has got 'em right where they want 'em.

I'm thinking about calling it quits myself.  But it's for a lot reasons other than just making Plus mandatory to play online.

Don't forget, you watch.  All that free stuff is gonna go away.  They're just using it to get everyone on the thing.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 18 of 197 (399 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
367 posts

Jul 17, 2013
Sony will lose any one to a playstation plus subscription for online. It is a fantastic program and thousands of people currently have it. You get a lot out of it for 5 dollars.
Enjoy life, enjoy gaming.
Message 19 of 197 (385 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Jul 17, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

Litsa_Kardassis wrote:
As I've always felt, if you cant afford $50-$60 a year to play online, you should probably not play so many games and get a better paying job. Cruel, maybe, but the honest truth.

The thing is you pay your internet provider $600/year, not Sony. Sony is charging you for their service (they have to pay rent, power, employee's, etc to maintain their network and hopefully improve it), the same as Netflix ($7.99/month streaming) does for theirs.

I'm sure nobody would say, "You aren't paying enough." Unfortunately, Sony isn't getting a cut of that money.

Draw the line if you must, that's your choice and you're entitled.

Personally, I was an XBL customer for 9 years and just recently didn't renew, because I've been playing single player games. I've been hesitant to subscribe to Plus for my Vita, but decided I would pay the $50/year (vs. XBL's $100/year family plan I was paying) after seeing a few games on it's list that I thought I might like to play on my Vita and watching Sony's E3 conference and Plus being used for PS4.

I'm sure if I don't play online my boys will take advantage of it. Cheaper than the $100/year family plan I was paying on XBL.

Message 20 of 197 (425 Views)