Welcoming Committee
13851 posts

Re: How many customers will Sony lose because of Pay to Play?

Jul 29, 2013

They will lose customers.

But they wont be losing them to MS.

If anything it'll be Nintendo and PC gamers that gain the most from Sony and MS charging.

and possibly the players, laggy countries can't afford decent internet, who says they can afford PS+

Message 91 of 197 (309 Views)
Wastelander
804 posts

Jul 30, 2013

They most definitely will lose some customers over making PS Plus mandatory for online play. Will it be enough for them to change their policies is another question.

My gaming history - NES, PS1, PS2, GBA SP, NDS, PS3, WP8.1, Win 8.1 PC, Xbox 360
Message 92 of 197 (285 Views)
First Son
25 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 30, 2013

See there is backwards thinking here because of fan boys. They think that going subsription is going to give Sony more money to make it better.

Really Sony does not have enough money to make it better already and if so why didnt they?

See here, make it good to begin with and people will want to join. Dont force people to pay for garbage and then make ity better. Make it great and people will join because they want too. The other way just makes people mad and is a Microsoft move. Lets cram something down peoples throat.

It not really all that bad but it is an example. It does have a ways to go to catch up to xbox live even though xbox live is not perfect either but it is probably the only thing microsoft has done right with the Xbox. Lets hope with the ps4 it gets better and sound like some of the new options are already sounding good.

Message 93 of 197 (272 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Jul 30, 2013

Excellent point. Well said! I think the best and yet most improabable solution would be for a third party to enter the arena and offer free online gaming. The reasons kids are "okay" with paying is because Mommy and Daddy are the ones paying for it and they have no idea what it mens to be charged at every turn. 

Message 94 of 197 (252 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Jul 30, 2013

Sony isn't hurting at all for not getting a cut of the internet money, and they don't deserve that money because they do not provide that service. If you want to empathize with the multi-million/billion dollar corporation instead of the gamer you go right ahead. 

Message 95 of 197 (249 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Jul 30, 2013

I agree. I think people have no idea how much gamers are hanging on by a thread. Not out of lost passion, but out of financial burden. The majority of families in the United States cannot afford a Playstation or to even pay the bills they already have, much less afford an extra internet fee. Living with people who are at the poverty level means there are people who have yet to even buy the PS3 because they can't afford it. 

Message 96 of 197 (247 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2629 posts

Jul 30, 2013

JarJackJohn wrote:

I agree. I think people have no idea how much gamers are hanging on by a thread. Not out of lost passion, but out of financial burden. The majority of families in the United States cannot afford a Playstation or to even pay the bills they already have, much less afford an extra internet fee. Living with people who are at the poverty level means there are people who have yet to even buy the PS3 because they can't afford it. 

For the last time, if a family is having trouble paying there bills, they should NOT be buying a $400 gaming system. 

Message 97 of 197 (245 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jul 30, 2013

ExMimic wrote:

JarJackJohn wrote:

For the last time, if a family is having trouble paying there bills, they should NOT be buying a $400 gaming system.

But allot of them still do.... 
Message 98 of 197 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Jul 30, 2013

ExMimic wrote:

JarJackJohn wrote:

Yeah, maybe a soccer ball would be more appropriate, instead of a PS4. Buy a soccer/basket/baseball, and you'll have hours of entertainment. It can be used for Single, Coop and Vs. modes of play.

When I was a kid, I had to go to my friends house if I wanted to play a game. Maybe I should have told the government they owed me an atari because I can't afford it.

It's not like there isn't local coop, vs. available in sports games and Free 2 Play titles (that are multiplayer without PS+ attached from what I've heard) coming out. Make some RL friends and play couch multiplayer. I'd personally much rather have someone within arms reach to punch or high five while playing. Diablo 3 is going to be great to play with my kids.

Message 99 of 197 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1581 posts

Jul 30, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

People who claim that paying for Plus is too much of an issue will get over it. It may be a hassle for some, but it is necessary at this point for the service to get better. 

This is the biggest issue.  Will the service improve?  PSN downloads and overall speed is lacking at best.  Xbox Live doesn't suffer from speeds issue at the same level that PSN does.  I am a current plus member and will continue to be regardless.  If sony expects people to pony up money for a previously free service to be able to do something that we are already doing for free, there better be huge improvements and benefits for the end user.

doc shady signature
Message 100 of 197 (231 Views)