Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 17 2012
By: MMAtt702 Lombax Warrior 117 posts
Accepted Solution

blast shards vs. dead drops

8 replies 104 views Edited Jun 17, 2012

I got all the blast shards last night on my first playthrough in infamous2. i only had 15 left once i got the shard sense and lightning tether which made getting them super easy! however now i'm having an issue i didnt see coming, getting the last dead drop! now, i havent completed the story yet so i'm not sure if that's the issue but i can't find the last one anywhere. i was hoping i would come across it while obtaining the last blast shards, but no luck. the question i have then is first, do i have to complete the whole story before the last one will appear, and if not will it be in a set location or are they randomly generated throughout the map? any advice or insight would be appreciated

"do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one"

Get your Portable ID!
Message 1 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11130 posts

Re: blast shards vs. dead drops

Jun 17, 2012

After tracking down all the blast shards I went to work on digging up the last few dead drops. Unlike the blast shards there's no sensor that's going to tell you where they are. In fact you don't even need to click down on L3 or L2 to find where they are, as you'll randomly come across the image of a blue bird on the mini-map. These have probably been easy to miss, as if you're like me you were constantly clicking the L3 button every step on the way. When that happens all the light-blue electricity fills the mini-map. The bird icons being the same color is then submerged and might be harder to spot.

Gas Works is the surrounding where I believe had the last few birdies to blast out of the sky. If you're doing this simultaneously as you go about your business unlocking the map 100%, then you might have a better chance at this as it gives you more time to explore every facet of the map for those last few random baddies who show up in the edges of the map not yet taken over. Or just doing a quick run through the map anywhere you feel like, it could turn up something. It'd be hard to say where to go exactly if you don't know which ones you have or haven't received yourself yet. Just keep exploring and they'll show up on the radar sooner than you can say "Is it Cole in here or is it just Kuo?"

Message 2 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Jun 17, 2012

haha thanks for the advice, thats a good idea because i was hitting the scan button like every 5 seconds. i think i'll start at the gas works area tonight, thats where i got the last dead drop. i wanted to get as many trophies as possible on my first playthrough so i would have less to worry about when i played through the game on hard mode.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 3 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11130 posts

Jun 18, 2012

I had the same idea in mind. In fact, already being on my second playthrough I just need one more trophy to go before another Platinum is reached.

One thing you'll have to keep in mind for your next playthrough is that like with the first game you're going to have to collect dead drops and blast shards all over again. That is if you're looking for the extra 50 XP in each dead drop or want to power up your health meter as much as possible. The only thing I've been skipping more of along the way sometimes (once the trophies are all there) is either the quickies that make you more good/evil or the side missions. If you've already gotten the 100% trophies for both islands, it's not a major concern to unlock those missions unless you feel you need to reacquire certain powers or the hospitals again for respawn points.

Message 4 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Jun 18, 2012

yeah that could be a problem especially since i'll be doing it on hard mode the second time through and i'll be missing out on alot of extra energy not going after the shards. i was hoping it might be a little easier doing it on evil since im doing it on good now.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 5 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11130 posts

Jun 18, 2012

In that case you better invest time in collecting as many shards as you can get the second time too. My first playthrough was also on the "good" side, and being tougher I set the difficulty to Hard. Knowing not to aim at the innocents running in the way of Cole's blasts can be tricky at times, but it's manageable.

Even playing through the game at the Easy setting, it's not that different from Hard. Enemies still line up in groups of threes and fours or more, and can still severely damage Cole with grenades, RPGs, and those pesky shotgun blasts. Though the pain might not be raining down as severely (and it definitely helps that being able to shoot in any preferred direction no matter who gets hit), you're still going to require enough energy to be able to survive tougher opponents as you progress in the game.

Message 6 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Jun 19, 2012

i got it! it was on that island that you have to get to from the first district, i believe it's where the game started because i got a hidden tropy called back to the bayou so that was a bonus. once i got that i beat the game and the good ending was awesome! can't wait to start it again as evil just to see how different the story goes

Get your Portable ID!
Message 7 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11130 posts

Jun 19, 2012

Nice work! Returning to the bayou was actually not one of the trophies marked as "hidden" (since it doesn't spoil story), but getting back there isn't obviously a task that every player will think about. Having tried for it from the very start, this evidentially was a feat that could only be accomplished once you had the improved static thrusters - which I did return there for the trophy once those were unlocked.

Message 8 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Jun 19, 2012

oh lol guess i never noticed it before. im playing with the move and navigation controller now and hard mode is pretty difficult cuz im not used to the new controls yet

Get your Portable ID!
Message 9 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes