Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Jun 17 2011
By: leukoplast Last Guardian 12345 posts
Offline

Why inFAMOUS 2 fails compared to inFAMOUS

19 replies 7323 views Edited Jun 17, 2011

Before you start reading, please note that there are spoilers in this post, not so much of the story but of Cole's powers and abilities.

...

First off, don't get me wrong I am enjoying the game for the most part, but there is several things I2 does (or doesn't do) that makes playing more of an annoyance than fun. 

I am almost finished with I2 (only 2 more blast cores) and have come to a solid conclusion, Sucker Punch created this game with the intention to make Cole less 'powerful' than he was in Infamous, IE they wanted to make the game 'harder'. Seems crazy right?  Especially with all his new and awesome powers?  Please hear me out.

Lets begin:

  • Abysmal power drain abilities - I have collected all the blast shards for increasing my power meter, and I have also maxed out my power draining abilities.  Yet in order to fill my meter I have to find about a half dozen electrical objects in order to fill my meter fully.  Even things like power poles and other electric-heavy objects only fill up my meter 1/2 to 1/3rd the way.  So during most of my fights and battles, pretty much most of the time is spent looking for new power sources which is incredibly annoying and takes me out of the action. And it seems the entire game is shoot a few times, then go and find something to recharge Cole, then rinse and repeat.

  • Reduced power drain sources - In infamous you could recharge Cole from numerous sources, in I2 they took away a lot of those sources.  One being the ability to recharge from grinding power lines/wires.  This is no longer possible in I2. Another loss was the ability in Infamous to hit any metal object with your lighting bolt and recharge off of it.  This still can be done in I2, but the available objects for self-recharging is extremely minimal, and even when you do find an object it takes numerous charges to get you fully recharged. Whereas in Infamous if I hit a metal object for say, 5 seconds, I could recharge fully.  In I2, even with the automatic lighting bolt, it takes several attempts to get a decent amount of juice.   Also as mentioned in the above point, while there is plenty of power sources around the city, most of them only give you a minuscule amount of energy. So you have to find about 5 or 6 different power sources just to get juiced up all the way.

  • Standard lighting bolt uses power -In Infamous your lighting bolt did not use power, so if you were in a pinch you could still use something to get the enemies off of you or to recharge off some metal object.  In I2 once you run out of power you are SOOL until you recharge.

  • Lightning bolt recharge ability is abysmal - In Infamous no matter what enemy you shot with your lightning bolt you would recharge your power meter (once you unlocked that ability of course).  In I2 you only recharge slightly when hitting human sized targets, so fighting a massively sized enemy is a constant battle of finding energy to so you can recharge and start shooting again, which is unbelievably repetitive and annoying.  Every big enemy I fight in I2 takes forever because I am CONSTANTLY running out of energy. Basically I shoot a few missiles or thrown a few grenades, then I run around trying not to get killed while I try and find a power source so I can keep dishing out damage. This is especially annoying when fighting the ice behemoth, who can recharge his health. So while I am out trying to find a decent supply of energy, all my hard work is going to waste as he recharges his health.

  • Ultra finisher is practically useless - I was really excited when I unlocked this power, but it has been nothing but a major letdown.  Sure if you can pull off a ultra finisher you can refill your energy bar all the way, but there is some major drawbacks.  1) This only refills your energy but not your health, so while you are being shot up and near death, a ultra finisher is completely useless. 2) The window for using a ultra finisher attack is very slim, and if you don't use it the melee power level gets reset. 3) Most of my ultra attacks are misses, even though I should have hit the person.. but of course they manage to run away at the last split second as I hit the triangle button.

  • Ionic powers are standalone - In infamous your ionic powers (d-pad down super powers) were linked to your energy levels.  So as long as you had energy you could perform one of these massive attacks.  With I2 they are standalone and require 'special' ionic cores to use.  At first glimpse this may seem better as they don't consume your already limited power supply in I2, but it also makes them a last-last resort and I personally usually forget to use them because I don't want to waste my cores. In my mind they are far to 'valuable' to just use on a few enemies, so in turn I typically never use them because there is never a perfect moment to use one. 

  • Power selection not so straight forward - With Infamous when you gained new powers you always used those new powers because they were the most powerful since they were upgrades, well in I2 it's not so cut-and-dry.  Sure there is power' plateaus' in I2, but you have to constantly change your power selection in order to meet the demand of whatever enemy you are fighting.  I find this annoying. I just want to use the most powerful thing I have unlocked to decimate everything, I don't want to have to change my entire setup just to take out a few enemies and than have to switch it back seconds later.  And since there is no cut-and-dry power setup with this game, all the powers you do get are typically non-upgradable. They are what they are and are as powerful as they get. With infamous you were always upgrading powers to make them better, in I2 you just have a wide assortment of 'average' powers to use. And you have to constantly change them based on the situation.

  • No special maxed out karma powers - in Infamous when you reached full karma for either hero evil you had the option for an 'overload' of powers, which meant you had an unlimited amount of energy for a short period of time once you activated this power.  So far in I2 there is absolutely no incentive whatsoever for reaching full karma status.  There is really no reason to keep filling to karma bar to full (although I do it anyway since I am obsessive about that kind of thing).

  • Too many misc abilities - I know this sounds crazy, but there is just too many random powers for each slot.  In my experience playing, there is numerous abilities that I have barely ever used since I would much rather use another power in that same slot. So while it may be useful during certain times, I typically forget I have a particular ability when I am playing the game. And only after I get done beating a boss of a heavy firefight do I think "You know, I could have used that ability!".  Thus meaning the ability goes to waste.  This is also a failure on the non-power upgrade part of the game, where you get new powers instead of upgrading old ones.  So instead of mastering one power than moving on to its more powerful brother, you have multiple choices for powers that are all about the same strength.

  • I2 demo false representation - I'm sure you all played the demo, and in the demo there is one main ability/power that is not in the full game.  And that would be the automatic power regeneration.  From what I remember infamous had this ability, to recharge your powers automatically if you weren't using them.  The I2 demo had this and is something I was really looking forward to. But as it turns out, there is no such ability in the game even though it was in the demo.  This is one of the biggest letdowns for me, as I have noted in the above points, I have to CONSTANTLY look for power sources to regenerate, and the game because more annoying to play then fun like Infamous was.

  • Too many big enemies/bosses - I for one find big and powerful enemies annoying in games. Not sure if any of you played Vanquish, but I found the big enemies (IE bosses) to be one of the most annoying parts of that game.  I like shooting human sized targets and taking them out easily out with all the cool powers I have, but apparently Sucker Punch wanted to widen the scope of this game to include a ton of annoying giant enemies that take way too long to take down and ones that are far too powerful and agile.

I'm sure everybody will disagree with me on these points and call me a loon for even thinking that I2 isnt superior to Infamous in every way, but I am finding the game to be a major letdown when comparing to the original. Mainly because the obvious intent from the developers to make Cole less of an 'unstoppable force' like he was in infamous.  In infamous I could take down anything and everything with relative ease, and it was fun doing so. In I2 it's always a constant battle to keep myself recharged, so I cannot even enjoy all the powers and abilities that are given to me to their full extent like in infamous.

I will update my list as I remember more things I find annoying or do not like about I2.  cause I know there is more.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (7,323 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 11/09/2010
Offline
199 posts
 

Re: Why inFAMOUS 2 fails compared to inFAMOUS

Jun 17, 2011

With all the hype about inFamous 2 I thought it would be a good game.

Well I have inFamous 1 and after playing the inFamous 2 demo it just turned me off rite away.

The main reason was when I started the demo it looked just the same as inFamous1! lol.

Same city setting. Did they even change it? I'm sure theres probably different looking levels but just by starting off like that I don't think I'll be playing this game again. Seems like they just added some new moves and layered it onto i1.

Definitely didn't have that wow factor when I first started playing i2.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (7,323 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 09/02/2008
Offline
1087 posts
 

Re: Why inFAMOUS 2 fails compared to inFAMOUS

Jun 17, 2011

Hmm... well overall I like I2 more than I1, but I see some of your points. I too miss being able to recharge by grinding, that was something I noticed right away. I agree with some of your points but not with all; some of the changes they made are for the better and even though I may not like the change in terms of making the game easier (ie, items to recharge from are not as abundant) I still see why they did what they did.

- About the recharging, you do get less juice and the things to recharge from are fewer and farther between. This makes the game more difficult, lets be honest Infamous on hard mode was a cakewalk, especially if you waited for your 2nd playthrough to bump it up to hard. Having less areas to charge and getting less of a charge from them makes you more careful in how you use the power you've got. Also about shooting enemies for power, I never noticed much of a recharge from this either, waste of a buy; but I also don't remember ever getting/using it in I1? I mean, if it was in the first one, I totally forgot about it cuz it didn't work well either.

- Yes the basic lightning bolt didn't take energy in I1, but if you think about it, that is what doesn't make any sense. If you're out of juice, you're out of juice, you shouldn't be able to fire off anything. Makes sense to me.

- Ultra finishers are extremely useful because they recharge your power, you just have to know when to use them. This isn't Devil May Cry, you can't just run into a huge group of enemies (with guns, mind you) and start swinging your amp and expect to live, that's just being careless. Now if you take out some guys, start to run out of juice, get out of sight of most enemies, corner a guy and beat him down and get a recharge, that's just good planning.

- The ionic powers are awesome, though I wonder why the didn't give you back your lightning storm till the end of the game. I personally liked the move from DRAINING the crap out of your power to the pink orbs. I used this frequently and typically got one if not two back throughout a mission. Great gameplay move that I personally enjoy and you don't: to each his own I guess.

- I also liked the fact they gave you so many different powers, and whether you like it or hate it you have to admit that adding in the quick menu by pressing left on the d-pad is the only way it is acceptable in gameplay. In I1 you got a power then upgraded it which changed it for the better. In I2, you unlock cool/different powers that you can switch between based on your preference of gameplay or situation. For example, the magnum bolt is awesome because of it's power, yet when I need to snipe I switch to the artillery bolt. Then I get bolt stream and hardly ever go back to the others but, and this is the difference between I1 and I2, I can switch BACK to the others if I want to. That kind of freedom with that many different abilities and the quick ease of switching between them is unheard of in a game, as far as I know.

- No overload, sure it's missing. Maybe in a downloadable update?

- I played the demo and I didn't notice what you are talking about so I doubt it makes much of a difference, bummer it kind of tainted your view of the actual game though.

- Reavers, Crushers, Titans oh my! I must say I support the decision to add more big enemies since there are so many more conduits in New Marais, it makes sense from a story point of view; but I agree with you completely! After fighting an ice titan for the 4th time you pretty have it down to shoot him rockets, go recharge, shoot, recharge, shoot, expose weakpoint, recharge, throw grenades, recharge, throw more and then he dies.

All in all Infamous 2 shapes up to be a pretty awesome game and a bragable exclusive. Even the changes and additions I don't like I can see why SuckerPunch did what they did, and that makes it easier to accept. Personally this game is an 11 out of 10 for me and I've only played the good story; I start being evil tonight.... mmmwwhahaha.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (7,323 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 02/07/2011
Offline
989 posts
 

Re: Why inFAMOUS 2 fails compared to inFAMOUS

Jun 17, 2011

inFamous fails because it's not Prototype


I'm no troll, I just dont like you.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (7,323 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/13/2010
Offline
214 posts
 

Re: Why inFAMOUS 2 fails compared to inFAMOUS

Jun 17, 2011

I agree with a lot of this was at a freinds playing 2  much prefered 1

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (7,323 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 09/09/2005
Offline
8923 posts
 

Re: Why inFAMOUS 2 fails compared to inFAMOUS

Jun 17, 2011

leukoplast wrote:

Before you start reading, please note that there are spoilers in this post, not so much of the story but of Cole's powers and abilities.

...

First off, don't get me wrong I am enjoying the game for the most part, but there is several things I2 does (or doesn't do) that makes playing more of an annoyance than fun. 

I am almost finished with I2 (only 2 more blast cores) and have come to a solid conclusion, Sucker Punch created this game with the intention to make Cole less 'powerful' than he was in Infamous, IE they wanted to make the game 'harder'. Seems crazy right?  Especially with all his new and awesome powers?  Please hear me out.

Lets begin:

  • Abysmal power drain abilities - I have collected all the blast shards for increasing my power meter, and I have also maxed out my power draining abilities.  Yet in order to fill my meter I have to find about a half dozen electrical objects in order to fill my meter fully.  Even things like power poles and other electric-heavy objects only fill up my meter 1/2 to 1/3rd the way.  So during most of my fights and battles, pretty much most of the time is spent looking for new power sources which is incredibly annoying and takes me out of the action. And it seems the entire game is shoot a few times, then go and find something to recharge Cole, then rinse and repeat.

  • Reduced power drain sources - In infamous you could recharge Cole from numerous sources, in I2 they took away a lot of those sources.  One being the ability to recharge from grinding power lines/wires.  This is no longer possible in I2. Another loss was the ability in Infamous to hit any metal object with your lighting bolt and recharge off of it.  This still can be done in I2, but the available objects for self-recharging is extremely minimal, and even when you do find an object it takes numerous charges to get you fully recharged. Whereas in Infamous if I hit a metal object for say, 5 seconds, I could recharge fully.  In I2, even with the automatic lighting bolt, it takes several attempts to get a decent amount of juice.   Also as mentioned in the above point, while there is plenty of power sources around the city, most of them only give you a minuscule amount of energy. So you have to find about 5 or 6 different power sources just to get juiced up all the way.


  • Standard lighting bolt uses power -In Infamous your lighting bolt did not use power, so if you were in a pinch you could still use something to get the enemies off of you or to recharge off some metal object.  In I2 once you run out of power you are SOOL until you recharge.


  • Lightning bolt recharge ability is abysmal - In Infamous no matter what enemy you shot with your lightning bolt you would recharge your power meter (once you unlocked that ability of course).  In I2 you only recharge slightly when hitting human sized targets, so fighting a massively sized enemy is a constant battle of finding energy to so you can recharge and start shooting again, which is unbelievably repetitive and annoying.  Every big enemy I fight in I2 takes forever because I am CONSTANTLY running out of energy. Basically I shoot a few missiles or thrown a few grenades, then I run around trying not to get killed while I try and find a power source so I can keep dishing out damage. This is especially annoying when fighting the ice behemoth, who can recharge his health. So while I am out trying to find a decent supply of energy, all my hard work is going to waste as he recharges his health.

  • Ultra finisher is practically useless - I was really excited when I unlocked this power, but it has been nothing but a major letdown.  Sure if you can pull off a ultra finisher you can refill your energy bar all the way, but there is some major drawbacks.  1) This only refills your energy but not your health, so while you are being shot up and near death, a ultra finisher is completely useless. 2) The window for using a ultra finisher attack is very slim, and if you don't use it the melee power level gets reset. 3) Most of my ultra attacks are misses, even though I should have hit the person.. but of course they manage to run away at the last split second as I hit the triangle button.

  • Ionic powers are standalone - In infamous your ionic powers (d-pad down super powers) were linked to your energy levels.  So as long as you had energy you could perform one of these massive attacks.  With I2 they are standalone and require 'special' ionic cores to use.  At first glimpse this may seem better as they don't consume your already limited power supply in I2, but it also makes them a last-last resort and I personally usually forget to use them because I don't want to waste my cores. In my mind they are far to 'valuable' to just use on a few enemies, so in turn I typically never use them because there is never a perfect moment to use one. 

  • Power selection not so straight forward - With Infamous when you gained new powers you always used those new powers because they were the most powerful since they were upgrades, well in I2 it's not so cut-and-dry.  Sure there is power' plateaus' in I2, but you have to constantly change your power selection in order to meet the demand of whatever enemy you are fighting.  I find this annoying. I just want to use the most powerful thing I have unlocked to decimate everything, I don't want to have to change my entire setup just to take out a few enemies and than have to switch it back seconds later.  And since there is no cut-and-dry power setup with this game, all the powers you do get are typically non-upgradable. They are what they are and are as powerful as they get. With infamous you were always upgrading powers to make them better, in I2 you just have a wide assortment of 'average' powers to use. And you have to constantly change them based on the situation.

  • No special maxed out karma powers - in Infamous when you reached full karma for either hero evil you had the option for an 'overload' of powers, which meant you had an unlimited amount of energy for a short period of time once you activated this power.  So far in I2 there is absolutely no incentive whatsoever for reaching full karma status.  There is really no reason to keep filling to karma bar to full (although I do it anyway since I am obsessive about that kind of thing).


  • Too many misc abilities - I know this sounds crazy, but there is just too many random powers for each slot.  In my experience playing, there is numerous abilities that I have barely ever used since I would much rather use another power in that same slot. So while it may be useful during certain times, I typically forget I have a particular ability when I am playing the game. And only after I get done beating a boss of a heavy firefight do I think "You know, I could have used that ability!".  Thus meaning the ability goes to waste.  This is also a failure on the non-power upgrade part of the game, where you get new powers instead of upgrading old ones.  So instead of mastering one power than moving on to its more powerful brother, you have multiple choices for powers that are all about the same strength.


  • I2 demo false representation - I'm sure you all played the demo, and in the demo there is one main ability/power that is not in the full game.  And that would be the automatic power regeneration.  From what I remember infamous had this ability, to recharge your powers automatically if you weren't using them.  The I2 demo had this and is something I was really looking forward to. But as it turns out, there is no such ability in the game even though it was in the demo.  This is one of the biggest letdowns for me, as I have noted in the above points, I have to CONSTANTLY look for power sources to regenerate, and the game because more annoying to play then fun like Infamous was.

  • Too many big enemies/bosses - I for one find big and powerful enemies annoying in games. Not sure if any of you played Vanquish, but I found the big enemies (IE bosses) to be one of the most annoying parts of that game.  I like shooting human sized targets and taking them out easily out with all the cool powers I have, but apparently Sucker Punch wanted to widen the scope of this game to include a ton of annoying giant enemies that take way too long to take down and ones that are far too powerful and agile.

I'm sure everybody will disagree with me on these points and call me a loon for even thinking that I2 isnt superior to Infamous in every way, but I am finding the game to be a major letdown when comparing to the original. Mainly because the obvious intent from the developers to make Cole less of an 'unstoppable force' like he was in infamous.  In infamous I could take down anything and everything with relative ease, and it was fun doing so. In I2 it's always a constant battle to keep myself recharged, so I cannot even enjoy all the powers and abilities that are given to me to their full extent like in infamous.

I will update my list as I remember more things I find annoying or do not like about I2.  cause I know there is more.

  • Abysmal power drain abilities
    I actually like it. It forces me to use a lil strategy to my powers rather then spamming them.... however, I still spam them from time to time, but I've figured out how to manage my powers without running bone dry, but in the event I do run dry, there are ways to getting juice back and it's not that hard.

  • Reduced power drain sources 
    It does seem that way in the later islands, but it's not too bad. You don't need a whole lot since you can get power back via spamming your R1 bolts at enemies (With max good karma) and you only need to drain a small amount from objects to restore your health. Not to mention, your melee and bioleech give you max charge upon completion.


Standard lighting bolt uses power.
Yeah, this one is a downer, but again, it does force you to use some strategy. Again, there are many ways to get power back, so it's not too big of a deal breaker. Also, if you are out of juice, you have that R2 levitate ability to throw objects which uses no power.

  • Lightning bolt recharge ability is abysmal
    It's not that bad. Granted, fighting a boss may seem tough at first, but you can kill them in one full energy meter if done right. a well precise grenade (sticky/cluster) can flat out demolish bosses.

  • Ultra finisher is practically useless
    WHATTTTT??? Square, Square, Triangle = Full energy meter.... how is THAT useless?????

  • Ionic powers are standalone
    I spam the heck out of my Ionic powers because enemies tend to drop an ionic charge quite often. However, enemies killed by an ionic attack won't (from what I have seen) But still, I use them quite often to thin the crowds.

  • Power selection not so straight forward
    It's called options, and options are good! They all have their pro's and cons, plus they some are better suited vs certain enemies. It adds strategy to the game and I love it!

  • No special maxed out karma powers
    Civillians take almost no damage from your attacks... heal massive crowds in one pulse... recharge energy by blasting others... causing chain lightening attacks.... Using civillians as another means to gain XP...doing bioleech on people and overcharging yourself so you can spam your moves to your hearts content are not special karma powers???


  • Too many misc abilities
    Again, it's called having options.


  • I2 demo false representation
    Didn't play demo....

  • Too many big enemies/bosses
    I love a good challange.


So yes, I have to disagree with you.
I am only 2 more blast cores away myself, but I am still loving this game.

To the person saying this looks like InFamous, you are nuts. This game has WAY more polish and the cities look WAAAAYYY better and actually have life to them.

But to each his own I guess.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (7,323 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/28/2006
Online
32191 posts
 

Re: Why inFAMOUS 2 fails compared to inFAMOUS

Jun 17, 2011

leukoplast wrote:

Before you start reading, please note that there are spoilers in this post, not so much of the story but of Cole's powers and abilities.

...

First off, don't get me wrong I am enjoying the game for the most part, but there is several things I2 does (or doesn't do) that makes playing more of an annoyance than fun. 

I am almost finished with I2 (only 2 more blast cores) and have come to a solid conclusion, Sucker Punch created this game with the intention to make Cole less 'powerful' than he was in Infamous, IE they wanted to make the game 'harder'. Seems crazy right?  Especially with all his new and awesome powers?  Please hear me out.

Lets begin:

  • Abysmal power drain abilities
one or two of any major electrical device(poles, transformers, large lights, those launch pole things) recharges my bar all the way. :\

  • Reduced power drain sources

i disagree, theres mass amounts of recharge areas.

however i am also sad that they removed the ability to recharge while grinding.

  • Standard lighting bolt uses power

i dont see this as a big deal. it adds more challenge and is more logical. why should Cole be able to shoot lightning bolts if hes out of energy anyway?

  • Lightning bolt recharge ability is abysmal
i never found this to be an issue. the recharge from hitting an enemy is fine for me. plys as i stated before, theres plenty of recharge areas that will give you a big boost.

  • Ultra finisher is practically useless

i have to agree, the Untra Finisher is pretty useless. not just because of what you said, but also because it does the same thing as a regular finisher, its just more fancy.

  • Ionic powers are standalone 

i like what they did with the Ionic powers. being able to use Ionic powers via your energy wouldnt be logical in inFamous 2; mainly due to the Ionic Drain and Bioleech Overload, which would render Cole invincible and capable of destroying masses of enemies over and over with the push of a button.

  • Power selection not so straight forward
aside from switching the L2 power a couple of times, i never had to switch powers to beat enemies. i always had the best/strongest i had equiped and went on my way.

  • No special maxed out karma powers

theres a couple of decent karma specific powers. but aside from the Bioleech Overload for the inFamous karma, there really isnt a need to achieve full karma(aside from the trophies)

  • Too many misc abilities

sounds like a personal gripe to me

  • I2 demo false representation

they did that so the demo wouldnt be hard for people. having Cole automatical recharge would make the game to easy, and wouldnt make sense story wise.

  • Too many big enemies/bosses

once again, sounds like a personal gripe; its not the games fault.

I'm sure everybody will disagree with me on these points and call me a loon for even thinking that I2 isnt superior to Infamous in every way, but I am finding the game to be a major letdown when comparing to the original. Mainly because the obvious intent from the developers to make Cole less of an 'unstoppable force' like he was in infamous.  In infamous I could take down anything and everything with relative ease, and it was fun doing so. In I2 it's always a constant battle to keep myself recharged, so I cannot even enjoy all the powers and abilities that are given to me to their full extent like in infamous.

I will update my list as I remember more things I find annoying or do not like about I2.  cause I know there is more.


Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (7,323 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 01/04/2010
Offline
2810 posts
 

Re: Why inFAMOUS 2 fails compared to inFAMOUS

Jun 17, 2011

Leukoplast strikes again

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (7,323 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 07/02/2008
Offline
337 posts
 

Re: Why inFAMOUS 2 fails compared to inFAMOUS

Jun 17, 2011

Well i agree on the regular lightning attack shouldnt drain. MAJOR SPOILER MAJOR SPOILER

In the Thunderstorm event he gets infinite recharge. So why is it in the entire time he is in New Marais there is only one thunderstorm? Second kinda loophole. If he runs out of energy and hasnt even got enough to use a flashlight how come he still electrifry's opponents in water? Also one of the things i love in I1 was shooting a generator or light with lectricity and the recharging myself.   

OH AND BTW is it just me or did the demo have a lightning attacked from head shots that chained? And if so where is it in I2?

"You're not gonna like it...Jaufree doesn't like it...The Countess of Bruma certainly won't like it.."

"I said you're not gonna like it....."
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (7,323 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 12/03/2004
Offline
12345 posts
 

Re: Why inFAMOUS 2 fails compared to inFAMOUS

Jun 18, 2011

SabinKenobi wrote:

- About the recharging, you do get less juice and the things to recharge from are fewer and farther between. This makes the game more difficult, lets be honest Infamous on hard mode was a cakewalk, especially if you waited for your 2nd playthrough to bump it up to hard. Having less areas to charge and getting less of a charge from them makes you more careful in how you use the power you've got. Also about shooting enemies for power, I never noticed much of a recharge from this either, waste of a buy; but I also don't remember ever getting/using it in I1? I mean, if it was in the first one, I totally forgot about it cuz it didn't work well either.


Yeah when I first played Infamous it put my on the hard difficulty during the first mission and I stuck with it throughout the game on all my playthroughs.  I will agree it was pretty easy for the most part, but I am not the type of gamer that enjoys dying all the time.  Stressing out in a video game is no good!  I like to have fun!  In infamous I always had a ton fo fun wiping out masses of enemies, in I2 when i come across 100 enemies and 5 different big enemies I just find it mostly annoying having to comb through all of them due to the lack of recharging in this game.

And yes Infamous had the lightning recharge bolt, which also recharged on the bosses too.  It was very useful IMO, because since the lightning bolt didn't drain energy you could pop a few enemies and be up to full strength again without having to go find electric source after electric source to re-juice.  You probably didn't notice it because it worked too well.. I mean you ever wonder why the game was so easy?

SabinKenobi wrote:

- Yes the basic lightning bolt didn't take energy in I1, but if you think about it, that is what doesn't make any sense. If you're out of juice, you're out of juice, you shouldn't be able to fire off anything. Makes sense to me.

Sure it makes sense, but I don't play games like this to immerse myself in realism.  I play game with a superhero character and super-abilities so I can simply destroy the world and wreak havoc on enemies.  I mean if we want to take about making sense, this entire game makes no sense in terms of realism.

This is the biggest problem I have with the direction the devs took I2, they tried to make it more 'realistic' (within the infamous world of course).  And that has hurt the experience for me.  In a game like this I don't want to worry about constantly having to recharge myself, I just want to recklessly and irresponsibly destroy tons of enemies with my cool powers.  But since they made the game more realistic and 'difficult', I can no longer have fun using my powers because I know it uses up my precious energy which is way too scarce in this game.

SabinKenobi wrote:

- Ultra finishers are extremely useful because they recharge your power, you just have to know when to use them. This isn't Devil May Cry, you can't just run into a huge group of enemies (with guns, mind you) and start swinging your amp and expect to live, that's just being careless. Now if you take out some guys, start to run out of juice, get out of sight of most enemies, corner a guy and beat him down and get a recharge, that's just good planning.

I agree one can't be completely reckless with the amp and expect to live, but from my experience the ultra finisher hasn't been very useful to me.  Cause even going 1 on 1 with a enemy, who has a gun, he can drop my health VERY quickly as I run up to him for the melee attack.  So typically my health is usually near it's limit even after attacking just one person, it would have been much more useful if my health got restored along with my energy. Because risking my health just for full energy doesn't mean much if I die a few seconds later from one bullet from some other enemy.

Think about it, melee attacks in video games are typically last resort tactics.  If I could take my time to wonder around to find a enemy all by his lonesome, whats the point of maxing out my energy when I could have done so safely prior to the melee attack?  if I am melee attacking somebody it means I am out of options, and having it not restore health was a mistake on SP's part.

SabinKenobi wrote:


- The ionic powers are awesome, though I wonder why the didn't give you back your lightning storm till the end of the game. I personally liked the move from DRAINING the crap out of your power to the pink orbs. I used this frequently and typically got one if not two back throughout a mission. Great gameplay move that I personally enjoy and you don't: to each his own I guess.

Draining energy in infamous was no big deal because there was so many ways to get it back, but in I2 I will agree it makes more sense to have them standalone, since if they drained energy in this game then nobody would ever use them because energy in I2 is like platinum in real life... very rare!   Although it would have been better if the ionic powers recharged by themselves.

I haven't got my lightning back but I am glad they at least give us that power back eventually.  Although it wouldn't have surprised me if we never got it back, it would have made sense based on all the other things we lost from infamous.

SabinKenobi wrote:


- I also liked the fact they gave you so many different powers, and whether you like it or hate it you have to admit that adding in the quick menu by pressing left on the d-pad is the only way it is acceptable in gameplay. In I1 you got a power then upgraded it which changed it for the better. In I2, you unlock cool/different powers that you can switch between based on your preference of gameplay or situation. For example, the magnum bolt is awesome because of it's power, yet when I need to snipe I switch to the artillery bolt. Then I get bolt stream and hardly ever go back to the others but, and this is the difference between I1 and I2, I can switch BACK to the others if I want to. That kind of freedom with that many different abilities and the quick ease of switching between them is unheard of in a game, as far as I know.

I agree the new powers are great, but there was just something better about having a more simplistic approach like infamous had.  Along with everything SuckerP changed from Infamous, having a lot of random powers changes the entire scope of how this game is played.  With infamous you learned to master each power as you used them throughout the game, with I2 you have so many to choose from most of them often get neglected and goto waste.  And IMO the d-pad menu makes no difference with how frequently I use different powers, I very rarely use the d-pad power change while in a heated battle, that is just something that doesn't cross my mind.  This isn't a RPG game, and SuckerP went a little overboard with all the power selections.

I liked the infamous power setup because you got to use every power in every situation, and as the game progressed the powers you were very familiar with got even stronger and more fun.  In I2 all the powers are the same throughout the entire game, you just unlock different ones as you progress, which isn't nearly as fun as upgrading existing ones.

Infamous, for the most part, was very simplistic with it's powers, I2 is just too convoluted. I don't want to have to constantly switch my powers based on the situation, I just want to go in with my most powerful setup and decimate everything and everybody.

SabinKenobi wrote:

- I played the demo and I didn't notice what you are talking about so I doubt it makes much of a difference, bummer it kind of tainted your view of the actual game though.

No offense, but I find it baffling you could miss such a thing.  No only did your powers recharge at a fairly quick rate, but you could also keep firing missiles and rockets even if you were completely depleted.

I went into the I2 demo with the expectations of how the Infamous demo was presented.  The Infamous demo started off by giving you powers and abilities gained from later parts of the game.  So naturally when I played the I2 demo I figured the powers and abilities I was using I would eventually get in the full I2 version.  However this was not the case with the energy recharge ability, which I now know was simply put in the demo to try and lure people into buying the game using false pretenses.   I guess even SuckerP realized that if they showed the game for how it really was, less people would have bought it.

SabinKenobi wrote:

- Reavers, Crushers, Titans oh my! I must say I support the decision to add more big enemies since there are so many more conduits in New Marais, it makes sense from a story point of view; but I agree with you completely! After fighting an ice titan for the 4th time you pretty have it down to shoot him rockets, go recharge, shoot, recharge, shoot, expose weakpoint, recharge, throw grenades, recharge, throw more and then he dies.

LOL, yeah that pretty much describes exactly what I do

SabinKenobi wrote:

All in all Infamous 2 shapes up to be a pretty awesome game and a bragable exclusive. Even the changes and additions I don't like I can see why SuckerPunch did what they did, and that makes it easier to accept. Personally this game is an 11 out of 10 for me and I've only played the good story; I start being evil tonight.... mmmwwhahaha.

As I said previously, it is still a good game, but I personally hate it when developers completely overhaul and change their games from how the previous versions played.   I have always been a firm believer of keeping everything from the first game except add onto it with new stuff... but never get rid of things that were in a previous game unless they were generally disliked by the community.

I would say I2 is a solid 8 for me, while Infamous was a 9.5.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (7,323 Views)
Reply
0 Likes