This game was good, but it would've been much better if:
1) I hadn't played inFAMOUS 1 and gone in expecting meaningful choice. Four choices, with one being a repeat and basically just asking if you're good or evil? The karma has practically no effect on the story of this game (Literally, one minor side character's survival is all that would be different for a sequel). The karma bombs were a nice gameplay touch, but other than that, this was a serious step down from past games (On the subject of karma's effect on gameplay, a return of the karmic overload would've been nice. It made sure that players kept following their alignment, even after maxing it out, and would complement the bombs well).
2) I hadn't played inFAMOUS 2 and gone in expecting an amazing story. Seriously, besides being about 2/3 as long as inFAMOUS 2, the story's about half as good, and probably less enjoyable than 1.
3) I hadn't played inFAMOUS 2 and been hoping for some kind of deep creator like the UGC, or at least something similar to it (I spent hours making missions and stories for fun long after I'd finished the story. Given that this story is shorter, it would've been nice to see something like that). Maybe this complaint would be alleviated if there were side quests instead of tasks, but after completing the game twice and Paper Trail, there's pretty much nothing to do.
4) I hadn't been expecting a "next-gen" game. The gameplay and graphics are amazing, but this open world is one of the most dead that I've ever seen. I get that SP didn't want to make driving mechanics (But I heavily disagree with the reasons, as it would make the sandbox so much nicer), but were sidequests that difficult? Even just having a single questline for good and evil would've done wonders, especially if they involved Fetch or Eugene somehow. I would've been fine with even just one Cole's Legacy-esque hour long series for each side; it doesn't all need to be as long as Paper Trail.
Heck, the game was practically setting itself up for some interesting cop relationships. I liked seeing my standings with the police change throughout inFAMOUS 1, and with Delsin being a delinquent and having a brother on the force, a pretty interesting sidequest could've been designed taking advantage of this.
5) Paper Trail was handled better. I loved Paper Trail's website puzzles, but many people couldn't experience it because of them. Worse, there was nothing to break them up--The whole benefit of this should've been that you keep solving puzzles to unlock new and rewarding fights/confrontations/story in the game. Instead, you would just run across the city or pursue the White Rabbit (A fight was included early on, but those were bizarrely later dropped). The puzzles were a blast, but could be tiring with nothing between them (Especially considering how good the gameplay of Second Son is).
But the worst part is that it practically only sets up a sequel. There's no conclusion, so players are left unsatisfied, and how will it be followed up? Is everyone suppposed to just know who the White Rabbit is if she shows up again? The vast majority of players skipped Paper Trail after finding out it lacked a meaningful reward, sadly. If it was a self-contained adventure that tantalized players with paper powers, then I think it would've been far better.
I loved this game and my time spent solving Paper Trail. But now that that's over, there's only a pretty, dead Seattle left. There were only two real sidequests, one being pre-order only and the other requiring hours of careful puzzle solving, and the gameplay, however stellar, gets tiresome when only fighting D.U.P.
Thankfully, this was partially amended in First Light with the addition of races and arenas. Please remember these and how Second Son could've used them when making your next game, Sucker Punch.
Are there any plans for an inFAMOUS sequel? If so, I'd like to request that you completely scrap the Second Son continuity.
I believe it was a mistake to kill off Cole MacGrath and no longer use him as a main character. Neither Delsin, nor Fetch came close to Cole's charisma and backstory. I know, I know, you wanted to honor players' choices of the good ending on inFAMOUS 2, but in a story that deals with time traveling and alternate realities, it's no stretch to bring Cole back.
Let's face it, Second Son's reception was just meh, compared to the first 2 games overall. It was an impressive technological feat, you all deserve commendation on that front. But the first 2 games (including Festival of Blood), we're not only innovative technologically, but also story-wise. Not to mention the use of UGC! There are still people that to this day (almost 5 years later) are still playing and creating user generated content missions and stories. Myself (navalmarco) included. On that note, thank you for keeping those particular servers alive. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I created and published 51 UGC missions on both i2 and festival of blood. They are part of a series called: The Heart of Darkness . Seasons 1 and 3 on Festival of Blood. Seasons 2 and 4 on inFAMOUS 2..
I also started a new mini series, recently (yes, really, I'm one of those UGC whales). It's called The Kessler Chronicles. Feel free to steal my idea, I will not sue you guys.
Kessler is an amazing character you could still use for an alternative reality story. Just my two cents. Thank you for your time and creativity, and all the wonderful hours of fun you have provided us.
Sincerely, one of your biggest fans,
Someone please help!!!!!!
I just bought Infamous Second Son and was really excited about playing it, but for some reason, the game would progress to the initial loading screen and then freeze with an orange screen and then crash to an error message about the game. HELP!!!!!!!!
disc version of game
ample storage (300 GB)