Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 16 2009
By: msstatedawg Survivor 2865 posts

Improving Warhawk Network Performance

223 replies 115 views Edited Jul 16, 2009
If this helps you, please KUDO me. Thanks in advance. >>>

Preface

If you apply only a portion of these instructions and continue to incur freezes or network errors, DO NOT post messages in this forum about the problems until you have applied ALL of these instructions and the issues remain.

Introduction

Out of the box, I could create a game in Warhawk with a max of 8 players. After most games, the console would freeze, requiring a hard-down. After speaking with some knowlegeable people in this forum, I performed the steps listed below. As a result, I can now host games with up to 24 players and very seldom (once every 3 months) experience a freeze. Stability confirmed post system update v. 2.80.

Configuration (assumes cable modem and router present)
  1. Assign a static IP address to the PS3. Click here for instructions.
  2. For that IP address, setup port forwarding in your router for the following ports: TCP: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070-10080; UDP: 3478, 3479, 3658, 10070, and 50100 (see Notes below).
    1. Click here to go to the Playstation Network page at PortForward.com.
    2. In the list, locate your router brand name and click the appropriate model number in that section (assuming you're console is not patched directly into the cable/DSL modem). This should provide full instructions for opening the ports above on your specific router.
  3. Switch from a wireless to a wired connection. You can get long CAT5e pretty dang cheap. If you must use wireless, try turning off encryption (e.g. WEP, WPA) and use MAC filtering instead. This is much less secure (and not recommended), but will increase transmission rates but, incrementally at best.
  4. Upgrade your cable modem. Google your old cable modem to determine within which DOCSIS specification your modem falls. I had a 2-year-old modem which was DOCSIS 1.1 spec. The visited my ISP (who conveniently neglected to tell me that newer, faster equipment was available) and swapped it out for a DOCSIS 2.0 modem at no extra cost. My downstream bandwidth increased 4-fold and my upstream increased 9-fold. This was almost certainly the modification which had the greatest impact on Warhawk performance.
Speed Test

This was hitting a Dallas server from my home in Cordova (suburb of Memphis).

Notes

• What it all boils down to....DOCSIS spec and upstream bandwidth. Upgrade your cable modem and get a better broadband plan. If you have a great plan already and these suggestions don't help, you may need to have your ISP come out and test your connection.
  • Full listing - all your port are belong to PSN.
  • Speed tests can be performed at http://www.speedtest.net or at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest. System Update 2.50 added Flash Player 9 support and should ease the process of performing these test directly from the PS3 browser.
  • In one case a user applied all these suggestions to no avail. They replaced their problematic router with a new D-Link DGL-4500 gaming router and their problems were solved. This does not mean their problem couldn't be solved with the original router, but thought I'd note it here anyway.

Bandwidth/Max Player Relationships

Below is a list of upload kb/s values and the users' reported maximum number of players they can host in a game. These values were gleaned from two of the threads listed above. To get a general idea of how many players you should be able to host, perform a speed test and compare your upload speed to those in this list. Based on this list, if it appears you are not able to host the number of players reported by other users with similar upload bandwidth, then perhaps some attention to your configuration will help.

Related Threads/Messages/Articles

Testimonials
Message Edited by msstatedawg on 07-16-2009 04:20 PM
Message 221 of 224 (115 Views)
Fender Bender
3737 posts

Re: Unofficial Guide for Improving Warhawk Performance

Jan 21, 2008

msstatedawg wrote:

5. Upgrade your cable modem. Google your old cable modem to determine within which DOCSIS specification your modem falls. I had a 2-year-old modem which was DOCSIS 1.1 specification. I visited my ISP and swapped it out for a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. My downstream bandwidth increased 4-fold and my upstream increased 9-fold. This was almost certainly the modification which had the greatest impact on PS3 performance.

That is the only thing you mentioned that resulted in your ability to host more players.  It's the upstream bandwidth that limits the number of players you can host.  None of the points you mentioned prior to this would result in an upstream data transmission bandwidth boost.
Message 1 of 224 (115 Views)
Survivor
2865 posts

Jan 21, 2008
Agreed. The other points were included because they served to help reduce freeze issues.

What have you done to improve your PS3 performance? Please, add to the list.
Message 2 of 224 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3737 posts

Jan 21, 2008
Nothing really special actually.  I'm running Wireless-G in my house from a Linksys WRT54g (v5.0).  I've got 64 bit WEP and MAC filtering enabled.  SSID broadcast is diabled.  I have not opened any special ports.  I've got UPnP enabled.  I'm running Mixed Mode because my Wireless-G gaming adapter (originally used for the PS2 and now connected to my Slingbox) freezes if I try setting it to "G" only, and it doesn't work correctly with my router if I set the router to "G" only.  On the PS3 I have the Media Server Connection disabled (since I don't have a media server PC) and instead use a USB 2.0 Western Digital 120 GB external HDD for all multi-media content played on the PS3. 

My high-speed internet provider is AT&T and their fastest DSL package maxes out at 6 mbps downstream and 512 kbps upstream, so I'm pretty much stuck at 8 player matches unless I switch to Comcast and a cable modem (the only other provider available in my neighborhood).

With the above settings, I did have the occassional freeze on Warhawk 1.0, but after the Warhawk 1.1 and 1.2 patches, I have rarely had a freeze up.
Message 3 of 224 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2865 posts

Jan 25, 2008
Something else I will add......

If you host a game with the max number (24, in my case) permitted by Warhawk for your configuration and bandwidth, your game will almost certainly crash if folks start getting in with really high pings (folks in other countries and such). So, I usually set mine to 20 and have no issues.

I really wish you could put a ping max on your game creation options. *sigh*

Message Edited by msstatedawg on 01-25-2008 12:33 PM

Message Edited by msstatedawg on 01-25-2008 12:34 PM
Message 4 of 224 (115 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 29, 2008

o_town_racer wrote:
Nothing really special actually.  I'm running Wireless-G in my house from a Linksys WRT54g (v5.0).  I've got 64 bit WEP and MAC filtering enabled.  SSID broadcast is diabled.  I have not opened any special ports.  I've got UPnP enabled.  I'm running Mixed Mode because my Wireless-G gaming adapter (originally used for the PS2 and now connected to my Slingbox) freezes if I try setting it to "G" only, and it doesn't work correctly with my router if I set the router to "G" only.  On the PS3 I have the Media Server Connection disabled (since I don't have a media server PC) and instead use a USB 2.0 Western Digital 120 GB external HDD for all multi-media content played on the PS3. 

My high-speed internet provider is AT&T and their fastest DSL package maxes out at 6 mbps downstream and 512 kbps upstream, so I'm pretty much stuck at 8 player matches unless I switch to Comcast and a cable modem (the only other provider available in my neighborhood).

With the above settings, I did have the occassional freeze on Warhawk 1.0, but after the Warhawk 1.1 and 1.2 patches, I have rarely had a freeze up.

Same here

My Modem is old   ... will that mess up my ping? I have crappy ping
Got a good router
Message 5 of 224 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2865 posts

Jan 29, 2008
Huh? Go below it? Did you mean to say it would auto-kick folks that go OVER the value you set? That's the way it'd need to work, anyway.

I've created many a game and have never seen that option. Where's it located?
Message 6 of 224 (115 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1090 posts

Jan 29, 2008

msstatedawg wrote:
Something else I will add......

If you host a game with the max number (24, in my case) permitted by Warhawk for your configuration and bandwidth, your game will almost certainly crash if folks start getting in with really high pings (folks in other countries and such). So, I usually set mine to 20 and have no issues.

I really wish you could put a ping max on your game creation options. *sigh*

Message Edited by msstatedawg on 01-25-2008 12:33 PM

Message Edited by msstatedawg on 01-25-2008 12:34 PM

I thought you could. You put it as people with a ping of # or less. It will auto kick people who go below it (meaning people's connections who go below the required speed...thus have a higher ping).

Message Edited by Floppy on 01-28-2008 09:34 PM
Welcome to Craibwoud

LBP2: U.S.S. OK
Message 7 of 224 (115 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1090 posts

Jan 29, 2008
I specified what i was saying..the go below was not a direct link to the prior sentence. But I know in the filter you can set the ping values to only find pings of # or less, and I swear the times I set one up there was an option for pings, I will check tonight.
Welcome to Craibwoud

LBP2: U.S.S. OK
Message 8 of 224 (115 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 29, 2008

LEVTHEBIGGUY wrote:

o_town_racer wrote:

Same here

My Modem is old   ... will that mess up my ping? I have crappy ping
Got a good router

The above is me, not Lev

POS comp at work..... I was on  my account.... cookie crap or something *shrugs*
Message 9 of 224 (115 Views)
0 Likes