Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 06 2011
By: as12365b Hekseville Citizen 355 posts

Review of Resistance 3 multiplayer beta

11 replies 612 views Edited Aug 6, 2011

Around midnight on August 4, the Reisstance 3 multiplayer beta went live for people with a code from SOCOM 4. After entering my code, the download started and was about 1527MB. After it downloaded and installed, it prompted for a 1417MB update that replaces all of the previously downloaded code completely. After starting it up, the normal liscense terms showed up just like any other title, not an NDA typical of betas so writing a review here is okay. So after waiting a few hours due to broken matchmaking, I finally got to experience some of the greatest gameplay I seen out of a FPS so with futher delays, here is my review of the Resistance 3 multiplayer beta:

Gameplay:

The controls are easy to learn quickly just like previous installemnts of Resistance. About every battle is tense and is often so close and action packed that you need to keep an eye on your corners and back to avoid a surprise shotgun spray. Team Deathmatch takes great running and gunning skills so don't expect to last long if you stay in one area. why limit yourself to running, you can also choose to use a sniper rifle and kill from a distance while remaining cloaked if you want to handle this like Killzone 3. The class customization allows for custom classes and upgrades to weapons and skills as you rank up to the max rank of 20 in the beta so there should be a loadout for everyone. Even killstreaks are introduced, but you have no control of selecting them, yet they can still be a match changer.

Graphics:

While great graphics don't make a game great, Resistance 3 has some of the most impresive graphics for an FPS that are near that of Battlefield 3. The colors are vibrant and lighting gives a sense of realism and fear which is a plus, The interface is organized well, you'll find ammo information at the bottom right,skills in the bottom middle, health at the bottom left, the minimap is at the top left, and the score,objectives, and timer is found at teh top right.

Game Modes:

Even though the beta has only team deathmatch and chain reaction, each are impresive modes that require different stratgies for each game mode. Team deathmatch is depent on your ability to kill and stay alive as you will often find enemy fire from about anywhere, matches often go down to the final minute and are a best of 3. Chain reaction has you capturing an objective at the middle of the map, an objective at the enemy side of the map, and finaly at the final objective that most be activated manualy. Flushing out enemies and capturing the objective is a good stragety to try and so is camping at an objective. Even though all matches are 8 vs 8, each match will feel like you are at war. when the full game hits September 6.

Known issues:

Just like any other beta, it has its fair share of issues. As of posting this review, the worst issues is that matchmaking is broken and oftens results in getting in lobbies by yourself withot anyone coming. After a few minutes of trying, you will eventually reach a match, but you might get error code 20000013 or everyone is kicked out of the match and it results in a win being counted for you. sometimes when you clock yourself, you are immune from any damage, resulting in the match getting out of hand quickly is that player racks up cheap kills. also, I spotted a player who got stuck in a wall, resulting in an easy target. The beta may shutter from time to time, but it is not lag. These issues will be fixed in a future patch so don't worry about it.

Conclusions:

+Smooth controls

+Thrill rush

+Killstreaks

+Deep customization options

+Gorgous graphics

+Each mode is a blast

-Broken matchmaking

-Overpowered shotguns

-Other  unresolved issues

Score: 9.5

I may consider raising the score if matchmaking improves. If you got an early access code, redeem it now to experience the multiplayer of Resistance 3. If you are a PS+ member or just an average PSN user, when you wait for your dates, the beta will be polished by the time you download it.

as12365b Trophy Card
Message 1 of 12 (612 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
355 posts

Re: Review of Resistance 3 multiplayer beta

Aug 6, 2011

As of this post, matchmaking is disabled due to the issue I described in my review. it will be reenabled in the next patch. Until that patch comes, organize private lobbies.

as12365b Trophy Card
Message 2 of 12 (612 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
355 posts

Aug 14, 2011

In the 2.01 patch, matchmaking is reenabled so start playing today if you haven't already.

as12365b Trophy Card
Message 3 of 12 (612 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1043 posts

Aug 14, 2011

anyone who has a code they arent using please pm it to me

[Edited}
Message 4 of 12 (612 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48860 posts

Aug 16, 2011

I like the beta too.

However Im nervous about posting information about it as we agree to an NDA when we first sign into the beta (Non Disclosure Agreement)

However, if we are allowed to talk about it in public I want to try to set up something so a bunch of us can get in our own private game since the servers and matchmaking are down still

Message 5 of 12 (612 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
355 posts

Aug 18, 2011

I carefully read the trerms, it is the everyday terms for games that are released, not an NDA. Same deal with the KZ3 multiplayer beta.

@whyaskdouknow: I don't have any extra codes just wait for August 30, the day that players who were not elgible for early access will get in.

as12365b Trophy Card
Message 6 of 12 (612 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48860 posts

Aug 18, 2011

as12365b wrote:

I carefully read the trerms, it is the everyday terms for games that are released, not an NDA. Same deal with the KZ3 multiplayer beta.

@whyaskdouknow: I don't have any extra codes just wait for August 30, the day that players who were not elgible for early access will get in.

as12365b Trophy Card

cool man

So, we should have an R3 beta night for the community then or something along those lines!

Message 7 of 12 (612 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3512 posts

Aug 18, 2011

Friend of mine said I would be a FOOL if I don't download the beta.He just played it.

Message 8 of 12 (612 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48860 posts

Aug 18, 2011

yeah i think its good.

i have a few things i dont like but overall its pretty awesome so far

Message 9 of 12 (612 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6993 posts

Jan 8, 2012

yeap i'd give Resistance 3 the full game a 9.5/10 , it was my second favorite ps3 game in 2011 , my goty was Motorstorm Apocalypse 9.6/10

Message 10 of 12 (612 Views)
0 Likes