Reply
Sackboy
Registered: 07/22/2008
Offline
501 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 20, 2008

Michelasso wrote:

MalachiRuffy wrote:
most games are like that. Hell you can finish many RPG's in 12 hours or so if you rush through it. Side stories/quest is what takes up mass ammounts of time. Go "Finish" the game like everyone else is saying.
You can finish what in 12 hours? Try to finish any FF game in 12 hours. I dare you. With Uncharted in 12 hours I've got 54% of trophies, 45 treasures out of 60. The big guys missing are the 2 gold medals for hard and crushing, plus obviously the platinum one (probably 40% only those three). Now I am playing it in crushing mode and I am **bleep**ing all the times.Still I am in the middle of episode 4 and I spent 2 hours and 19 minutes. Well, yes, on crushing it gets much longer. But much more tedious as well.
Anyhow, if you like to pay more for shorter games, be my guest. I've bought Uncharted platinum for 21 euro. Recevied it last week. There was no way I was going to pay full price a game that short. 

 


Actually ff9 can be completed in under 12 hours and you are actually rewarded with a unique weapon if you do so. That said I think last time I finished it I played around 60-70 hours.  MalachiRuffy said it all.

Message 41 of 53 (4 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/09/2007
Offline
5552 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 20, 2008

CaptainHarlock wrote: 
No, you left out the rest of my comment because you had to place your's into a context that it would be more viable.

 

You've just contradicted yourself. You claim you don't judge by quantity but by length. What is "length"? Length is QUANTITY of gameplay. Pure and simple.

 

The whole argument of "If a game is shorter is should be priced lower" is inherently flawed and I will tell you why right now. Because if developers would not make any money. AND furthermore, if a game is longer you would just as easily pay MORE. A developer could turn around and say "Well there's over 60 hours of gameplay, we can charge $120 for it!'. After all you are getting much more gameplay, so wouldn't that warrant a higher price? There's more development time involved and more man hours to make it. So a higer price would be necessary. And then how do you price an online game with seemingly limitless gameplay? What is then the standard? Games are priced at what the market will bear. And the market is currently bearing the $60 price tag. Yes a few people will have a problem, however, like you, they seem to be in the minority.

 

There is not "right or wrong" in this matter really. It's a matter of economics and practicality. By your standards the business model would be far too convoluted to ever be practical. "Oh but I don't want to pay $60 for a short game". Well that's your right to object. I don't want to pay $70,000 for a BMW but you don't see me complaining to the Bavarian Mortor Works that they should lower the price for me and for me only because I'm a consumer and what I say goes.

 

And thus this will be my final post on this topic as this conversation has seemingly run it's course. It's best to end this discussion because it appears to be turning into the Contradiction Sketch.

 

So you I say peace be with you my friend. 

Message Edited by CaptainHarlock on 08-20-2008 01:23 AM

I left it out because we are writing too much crap. Now I go straight:
In another thread i was saying the TR gameplay is much more advanced than Uncharted one (fact) and you answered comparing the scripts (?!)
Here I say that a shorter game should have a lower price (as it is the policy for PSN games, anyway) and you told me that I said "quantity = quality". I never even thought of that. I know how many people that waited for the price drop  to buy Uncharted (and AC, and R&C and others). Still Uncharted sold a good number of copies, so you're right as well.
Thus, as you rightly say, let's forget about this. It's a useless debate.

 

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I despise MS. It's different.
Message 42 of 53 (4 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/24/2004
Offline
282 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 20, 2008
Because the game is awesome.
Message 43 of 53 (4 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 06/27/2008
Offline
235 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 28, 2008

PlaySkippy3 wrote:
You guys also need to keep in mind that most of the people here that claim to have "easily" beaten "Uncharted" in a few hours are probably 13 year old kids with no lives. Those of us who are married with children and work fulltime don't have the time to blow through a video game in one sitting, LOL!

 

Hmm, i have a job and all, heck i even go to college classes nearly everyday.

 

So saying BS like that makes you look like an idiot, i beat the game in 3 sits, it didn't take very long, it depends on how good you are, some people are naturals at picking up things fast, so thats how people beat the game so fast.

 

You need to stop insulting people, all people have a life, if not they wouldn't be alive, choose your words carefully.

Message 44 of 53 (4 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 08/27/2008
Offline
99 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 28, 2008
Well, I got my ps3 right when I got Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Resistance and MGS4 so I didn't find it short at all. It's a good 8-10 hours if you're on the right difficulty and don't rush through.
Message 45 of 53 (4 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 08/22/2007
Offline
1468 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 29, 2008

 

There will always be a percentage of gamers that prefer to RACE thru the game, caring more for the goal, then the road travelled.  This will ALWAYS be the case and we will NEVER be rid of them.  A game developed strictly for them would have to TRIPLE the story-line of a game like Drakes, or more.  That way it's a guaranteed 20 hour game no matter how fast you race through it.  ... skipping every cutscene, then complaining about how the storyline was "weak" ...

 

Meanwhile, the larger percentage gamers that like to enjoy the travel as well as the goal, would grow sick and tired of having to take months and months to complete a game, instead of a few weeks.

 

You can't please all the people, all the time. 

 

I liked Uncharted's duration.  Good pacing between platforming and firefights.  Transitions from inside to outside.  Story progressed strongly from the start to a great climax.

 

2 thumbs up for Uncharted's Length.

 

----
There are 10 types of people. Those that understand binary, and those that do not.

PlayStation.Blog | PS3-System-Updates |
Message 46 of 53 (4 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 01/17/2009
Offline
1 posts
 

nEED hELP

Jan 17, 2009
i AM playing this game and I am stuck in the dungeon . The map states North east south and west. I climb up top to turn the statues and nothing happens. I look at the map and luke and mark are backwards. I am stumped! what do I do to move on to the next level? please help me.... marc
Message 47 of 53 (4 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/15/2008
Offline
116 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Jan 17, 2009
Yeh, you rushed through it. Take your time, try to get all the trophies. You'll end up throwing in 3 times as that more hours in the gameplay.
Message 48 of 53 (4 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/26/2008
Offline
3152 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Jan 17, 2009

Personally I would much prefer a game like this for my £40. I don't buy games to fill time, I buy them for the experience. Personally I don't have time to play a six hour session on any game and If I did I don't think I would enjoy gaming as much. The last game I blitzed was Ratchet and Clank and really did regret it. Im used to spending 20 hours playing those games looking for all the gold bolts and stuff but this time I finished it in 10 hours. After finishing it I was really irritable and had forgotten most of the great parts and it left me without the great experience I got when I replayed it recently.

 

I played Uncharted in 1 or 2 hour bits over the course of a fortnight and I really gave me time to explore and enjoy all of it aswell as discuss it with my friends and wonder about the plot points. A 'wow' moment comes to uncharted every hour or so and that was when I would finish the section and go to bed. That meant I had time to think about how damn cool it was finding a U-boat in the middle of the amazon and blowing it up etc. If I had played it all at once I would have been too busy concentrating on the fights than on appreciating stuff like that. When you rush you don't notice half the stuff or hints because ND didn'tm tell all the story through cutscenes, alot of it was environment and battle dialouge. I must have spent a good 5 minutes looking out at the environment from above the U-boat and again from the top of the fortress, just incredible. If I had been racing through it I wouldn't have seen that stuff. 

 

Next time, try spacing out you're game sessions and see what the experience is like. If you still think it is too short, rent it or wait for the price to drop.

Message 49 of 53 (4 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 09/07/2008
Offline
4583 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Jan 17, 2009

Michelasso wrote:

PlaySkippy3 wrote:
You guys also need to keep in mind that most of the people here that claim to have "easily" beaten "Uncharted" in a few hours are probably 13 year old kids with no lives. Those of us who are married with children and work fulltime don't have the time to blow through a video game in one sitting, LOL!
Exactly. That's why Uncharted is a stupid game for brainless kids. Period. Oh yeah, in the case you wonder... ask some of them what's 8x8- most of them do not even know the answer. But they want to program videoagems, duh?

 


You just crossed the ***bleep***ing line. Uncharted is a great game. I played this game without breaking and it was ***bleep***ing long. Then I went back and got all medals, all trophies and beat it on every difficulty. FYI im not a brainless kid. I happen to be 29 and beat the game on my day off then did all the other crap.

18V Sig
Message 50 of 53 (4 Views)
Reply
0 Likes