Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/09/2007
Offline
5542 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 17, 2008

CaptainHarlock wrote:

Michelasso wrote:

Cyro wrote:
That's the thing about Uncharted, its no that 'long' but its certainly very faced-paced with constant action. I don't think there are any dull moments in the whole game, I'd much rather have am immersive 6 hour experience then a boring 10 hour one...
Sorry, but I want at least 30 hours, as I am used to with his sister (TR).

 


And I want a solid gold toilet but some things just aren't in the cards now are they.


If I pay the price for a solid gold toilet they can't give me a iron one. I am a customer, I have the right to state what I expect from a product in order to buy it. 10 hours or less gameplay? No more than $20. Otherwise I won't buy it until it's platinum. It's that simple. Would you pay a full price ticket for a movie 20 minutes long? I wouldn't. That's it. 

 

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Message 21 of 53 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 06/30/2006
Offline
69 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 17, 2008

I agree. If i knew i was going to finish the game in and around 6 hours, i would just wait for the price to go down. Again Im not saying i want the game to be 30 hrs or 6 hours. Something thats moderate like 10-12 hours.

 

This is just a suggestion so don't grill me. I would have liked it a little better if before the whole story of the plane crash started there was a little prequel in that we find the map for the treasure on another hunt and then go after the main treasure in which the whole story was based around. Anyone agree or disagree

 




Message me with either Psns : K I N G O F T H E B R E E Z E (all one word) or ALMEDMAT
Message 22 of 53 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 03/24/2005
Offline
78 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 17, 2008
Like it or not, the game's length is fairly typical of modern single player games.    FWIW, the game took me around 10 hrs or so the first time through.  But I played over a period of about a week and took my time while finding all but a few of the treasures the first time through.
Message 23 of 53 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28537 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 18, 2008

Michelasso wrote:

CaptainHarlock wrote:

Michelasso wrote:

Cyro wrote:
That's the thing about Uncharted, its no that 'long' but its certainly very faced-paced with constant action. I don't think there are any dull moments in the whole game, I'd much rather have am immersive 6 hour experience then a boring 10 hour one...
Sorry, but I want at least 30 hours, as I am used to with his sister (TR).

 


And I want a solid gold toilet but some things just aren't in the cards now are they.


If I pay the price for a solid gold toilet they can't give me a iron one. I am a customer, I have the right to state what I expect from a product in order to buy it. 10 hours or less gameplay? No more than $20. Otherwise I won't buy it until it's platinum. It's that simple. Would you pay a full price ticket for a movie 20 minutes long? I wouldn't. That's it. 

 


 And I have a right to say to you that your reasoning is flawed.

 

That's a poor comparison and here's why. Beacause a movie would not be released if it were only twenty minutes long as a stand alone film. There are short films that are shown in theaters as part of festivals and with other short films. Woody Allen has made one which was actually very good. Tim Burton has made one as well. And I have paid full price for movies that were one hour and twenty minutes in length. Woody Allen's Hannah And Her Sisters was one so was Crimes and Misdemeanors. Many Diseny films clock in at under 90 minutes. But I suppose all these films are now considered "bad" by your standards because they are not the same length as Heaven's Gate or Gone With The Wind

 

You conveniently left out the rest of my comment. Which was by your standards the United States Tax Code at 12,000 pages would then be considered the greatest literary work in history. Longer is not better by default. By your standard nobody should have bought the original Metal Gear Solid because there's only found and a half hours of total gameplay. Metal Gear Solid 2 only had around maybe six hours of total gameplay. God of War only had about ten hours of gameplay. Are all those "bad games"? Are they all "not worth it"? 

 

You have a right to state what you want as a consumer. However, creative people and artists have a right to create as they see fit. Do you think I should start emaling Cheap Trick and tell them "I'm a customer and I demand that your next album should be a three record set. If not I'm not paying full price for it". You know what they'd tell me? They'd say "We're making the best album we can and if you don't like it, we're sorry but we're not forcing you to buy it". Creative people create, and the public evaluates that work. And if your only yardstick to evaluate is running time then you're not seeing the bigger picture. 

 

There's certain things we don't like in this world. But you know what, we deal. That's all we can do. Going around placing demands on things that are out of your control isn't going to get you anywhere.  

Message 24 of 53 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/30/2007
Offline
1739 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 18, 2008

CaptainHarlock wrote:

Michelasso wrote:

CaptainHarlock wrote:

Michelasso wrote:

Cyro wrote:
That's the thing about Uncharted, its no that 'long' but its certainly very faced-paced with constant action. I don't think there are any dull moments in the whole game, I'd much rather have am immersive 6 hour experience then a boring 10 hour one...
Sorry, but I want at least 30 hours, as I am used to with his sister (TR).

 


And I want a solid gold toilet but some things just aren't in the cards now are they.


If I pay the price for a solid gold toilet they can't give me a iron one. I am a customer, I have the right to state what I expect from a product in order to buy it. 10 hours or less gameplay? No more than $20. Otherwise I won't buy it until it's platinum. It's that simple. Would you pay a full price ticket for a movie 20 minutes long? I wouldn't. That's it. 

 


 And I have a right to say to you that your reasoning is flawed.

 

That's a poor comparison and here's why. Beacause a movie would not be released if it were only twenty minutes long as a stand alone film. There are short films that are shown in theaters as part of festivals and with other short films. Woody Allen has made one which was actually very good. Tim Burton has made one as well. And I have paid full price for movies that were one hour and twenty minutes in length. Woody Allen's Hannah And Her Sisters was one so was Crimes and Misdemeanors. Many Diseny films clock in at under 90 minutes. But I suppose all these films are now considered "bad" by your standards because they are not the same length as Heaven's Gate or Gone With The Wind

 

You conveniently left out the rest of my comment. Which was by your standards the United States Tax Code at 12,000 pages would then be considered the greatest literary work in history. Longer is not better by default. By your standard nobody should have bought the original Metal Gear Solid because there's only found and a half hours of total gameplay. Metal Gear Solid 2 only had around maybe six hours of total gameplay. God of War only had about ten hours of gameplay. Are all those "bad games"? Are they all "not worth it"? 

 

You have a right to state what you want as a consumer. However, creative people and artists have a right to create as they see fit. Do you think I should start emaling Cheap Trick and tell them "I'm a customer and I demand that your next album should be a three record set. If not I'm not paying full price for it". You know what they'd tell me? They'd say "We're making the best album we can and if you don't like it, we're sorry but we're not forcing you to buy it". Creative people create, and the public evaluates that work. And if your only yardstick to evaluate is running time then you're not seeing the bigger picture. 

 

There's certain things we don't like in this world. But you know what, we deal. That's all we can do. Going around placing demands on things that are out of your control isn't going to get you anywhere.  


I dont think anyone can beat CaptainHarlock lol.

Message 25 of 53 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 01/19/2008
Offline
770 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 18, 2008
most games are like that. Hell you can finish many RPG's in 12 hours or so if you rush through it. Side stories/quest is what takes up mass ammounts of time. Go "Finish" the game like everyone else is saying.
Message 26 of 53 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 01/19/2008
Offline
770 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 18, 2008

 

oh and uncharted WAS the perfect length. Not too long. no real boring parts. Fast action paced throughout all of it. I get bored of most games quickly because it becomes the same thing over and over again. Especially FPS's.

Message 27 of 53 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 07/24/2007
Offline
717 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 18, 2008
Cause it's fun to play through multiple times.
Message 28 of 53 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/09/2007
Offline
5542 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 18, 2008

MalachiRuffy wrote:
most games are like that. Hell you can finish many RPG's in 12 hours or so if you rush through it. Side stories/quest is what takes up mass ammounts of time. Go "Finish" the game like everyone else is saying.
You can finish what in 12 hours? Try to finish any FF game in 12 hours. I dare you. With Uncharted in 12 hours I've got 54% of trophies, 45 treasures out of 60. The big guys missing are the 2 gold medals for hard and crushing, plus obviously the platinum one (probably 40% only those three). Now I am playing it in crushing mode and I am **bleep**ing all the times.Still I am in the middle of episode 4 and I spent 2 hours and 19 minutes. Well, yes, on crushing it gets much longer. But much more tedious as well.
Anyhow, if you like to pay more for shorter games, be my guest. I've bought Uncharted platinum for 21 euro. Recevied it last week. There was no way I was going to pay full price a game that short. 

 

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Message 29 of 53 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/09/2007
Offline
5542 posts
 

Re: Why was Drake's Fortune soo Short?

Aug 18, 2008

CaptainHarlock wrote:

Michelasso wrote:
If I pay the price for a solid gold toilet they can't give me a iron one. I am a customer, I have the right to state what I expect from a product in order to buy it. 10 hours or less gameplay? No more than $20. Otherwise I won't buy it until it's platinum. It's that simple. Would you pay a full price ticket for a movie 20 minutes long? I wouldn't. That's it. 

 


 And I have a right to say to you that your reasoning is flawed.

 

That's a poor comparison and here's why. Beacause a movie would not be released if it were only twenty minutes long as a stand alone film. There are short films that are shown in theaters as part of festivals and with other short films. Woody Allen has made one which was actually very good. Tim Burton has made one as well. And I have paid full price for movies that were one hour and twenty minutes in length. Woody Allen's Hannah And Her Sisters was one so was Crimes and Misdemeanors. Many Diseny films clock in at under 90 minutes. But I suppose all these films are now considered "bad" by your standards because they are not the same length as Heaven's Gate or Gone With The Wind

 

You conveniently left out the rest of my comment. Which was by your standards the United States Tax Code at 12,000 pages would then be considered the greatest literary work in history. Longer is not better by default. By your standard nobody should have bought the original Metal Gear Solid because there's only found and a half hours of total gameplay. Metal Gear Solid 2 only had around maybe six hours of total gameplay. God of War only had about ten hours of gameplay. Are all those "bad games"? Are they all "not worth it"? 

 

You have a right to state what you want as a consumer. However, creative people and artists have a right to create as they see fit. Do you think I should start emaling Cheap Trick and tell them "I'm a customer and I demand that your next album should be a three record set. If not I'm not paying full price for it". You know what they'd tell me? They'd say "We're making the best album we can and if you don't like it, we're sorry but we're not forcing you to buy it". Creative people create, and the public evaluates that work. And if your only yardstick to evaluate is running time then you're not seeing the bigger picture. 

 

There's certain things we don't like in this world. But you know what, we deal. That's all we can do. Going around placing demands on things that are out of your control isn't going to get you anywhere.  


I left the rest of your argument off for the simple reason that it was plain stupid. I am not saying that quantity = quality.  But I am saying that, out of two great games, if one goes for 1/3 of the playing time, that one should cost 1/3 - 1/2 of the price. Like they will do with Ratchet & Clank for PSN, they did with GT5P, Siren Blood Shoot and many others. TR usualy had 4 chapters. If the next TR will have a Chapter only with some episodes, like more or less is uncharted now, its right price will be about $15-$30. Is it so hard to understand?
I don't judge games by quantity, but I judge their price by lenght and variety. If Uncharted had 3 or 4 chapters, all as good as the first (only) one we've got, wouldn't it be a much better value for money? My hope is That Sony/Naughty Dog rushed the development of the game, making it short, because they wanted immediately a good exclusive for the PS3.
Then try to buy a book of law, and let's see how much you do spend. You must make a loan for it. Thus, even in your example I was right, because I was talking about prices and NOT quality.  

 

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Message 30 of 53 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes