Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
663 posts

Re: Why is everyone hating on MP??

Apr 25, 2009

It's not because they hate multiplayer in every game, it's because they don't think it's necessary for this game.  I was initially against it, but not cause I suck at playing online (I'm mediocre to decent), but because I wanted a fantastic single player experience without a tacked on MP.  But whatever, I'm sure Naughty Dog will do right by us.  As long as we don't have some ridiculously unattainable online trophies (I'm looking at you, Killzone 2).

Also, don't try to blanket everyone by saying they suck at multiplayer which is why they don't want it.  That just sounds stupid.

PSN ID: Asher13

Suit up!
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 87 (2 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1069 posts

Apr 25, 2009

jpd1408 wrote:

I believe that if U2 has an amazing single player wether it has MP or not shouldnt matter.... and if it does have MP it should def. be a perk that everyone on these boards shouldnt shun out just yet because its just an extra feature that will make the overal experience enjoyable...my only concern is that if the MP ends up being bad even if the single player is amazing it will cause reviewers to str8 up bash it... and i want this game to excell because the first one was AMAZING!!

What do you guys think?

and for the people that do not like MP you dont have to play it just play the sp mode which im pretty sure will be awsome

like I said,if you are having a great time slaughtering others online,there's no way you will hate playing it.

I am sure the reason why Naughty Dog decides to add multiplayer into this game is that they've already completed the SP.

So instead of spending the remaining months to polish the SP,they make a wise decision,which is to make a multiplayer.

You can never say a multiplayer mode is unnecessary  for any game as long as it brings the company more customers.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 87 (2 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24688 posts

Apr 25, 2009

Multiplayer can indeed and has before ruined a great single player game.

Case in point; Have any of you ever played Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain. Syphon Filter was one of my favorite games on the original Playstation. It had a great main character in Gabe Logan, good storylines, excellent gameplay and very well constructed environments and decent graphics for the PS1 era. After three Playstation games the series made the leap to the PS2. The gameplay was specifically designed for multiplayer online games. It was possible to play as a solo agent, yet the game was increasingly difficult. Certain areas were inaccessable without a second player, unlockables were impossible to get because you could never complete a mission within the defined parameters, you were ALWAYS out manned and out gunned forcing numerous restarts, and you could never achieve 100% completion because of the nature of the game's design. The Omega Strain's servers were shut down about before the launch of the PS3 because nobody was playing the game. The Omega Strain essentially killed the series on the PS2, and we're still uncertain about it's return on the PS3.

If multiplayer is a seperate mode then I won't complain. If it's a "forced" mode then I'm not going to be happy in the least. No matter how you try to dress it up or laud it's virtues, the nano-second I see "Area Inaccessable. Second Player Required" I'm going to be PISSED. 

Message Edited by CaptainAlbator on 04-25-2009 01:24 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 87 (2 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1069 posts

Apr 25, 2009

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Case in point; Have any of you ever played Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain. Syphon Filter was one of my favorite games on the original Playstation. It had a great main character in Gabe Logan, good storylines, excellent gameplay and very well constructed environments and decent graphics for the PS1 era. After three Playstation games the series made the leap to the PS2. The gameplay was specifically designed for multiplayer online games. It was possible to play as a solo agent, yet the game was increasingly difficult. Certain areas were inaccessable without a second player, unlockables were impossible to get because you could never complete a mission within the defined parameters, you were ALWAYS out manned and out gunned forcing numerous restarts, and you could never achieve 100% completion because of the nature of the game's design. The Omega Strain's servers were shut down about before the launch of the PS3 because nobody was playing the game. 

If multiplayer is a seperate mode then I won't complain. If it's a "forced" mode then I'm not going to be happy in the least. No matter how you try to dress it up or laud it's virtues, the nano-second I see "Area Inaccessable. Second Player Required" I'm going to be PISSED. 

So your comparing Uncharted 2 to a bunch of games that probably most gamers have never heard about.

Uncharted 2 is a big PS3 exclusive and is developed by NG.

Do you think they will let the things you described happen in Uncharted 2?

The most funny thing is your example is actually a PS2 game. Time to move forward. The generation of PS2 passed a long long time ago.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 87 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2322 posts

Apr 25, 2009

I doubt Naughty Dog is going to stray away from Uncharted's core gameplay just to make multiplayer feel better and screw up the single player. That's not going to happen. Naughty Dog does not want to srew up one of their great franchises right now, especially if they plan on making a trilogy. I think multiplayer will be a fun and new experience for Uncharted, what I see it as is being Gears Of War but faster paced(and you can jump:smileyhappy:). I can understand how people don't want to include multiplayer as they think it will take time away from making a awesome single player experience, but just trust Naughty Dog in what they are planning. I'm positive that they don't want to dissapoint their fans.

Photobucket
"
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 87 (2 Views)
PlayStation MVP
24688 posts

Apr 25, 2009

Doletskaya wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Case in point; Have any of you ever played Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain. Syphon Filter was one of my favorite games on the original Playstation. It had a great main character in Gabe Logan, good storylines, excellent gameplay and very well constructed environments and decent graphics for the PS1 era. After three Playstation games the series made the leap to the PS2. The gameplay was specifically designed for multiplayer online games. It was possible to play as a solo agent, yet the game was increasingly difficult. Certain areas were inaccessable without a second player, unlockables were impossible to get because you could never complete a mission within the defined parameters, you were ALWAYS out manned and out gunned forcing numerous restarts, and you could never achieve 100% completion because of the nature of the game's design. The Omega Strain's servers were shut down about before the launch of the PS3 because nobody was playing the game. 

So your comparing Uncharted 2 to a bunch of games that probably most gamers have never heard about.

The most funny thing is your example is actually a PS2 game. Time to move forward. The generation of PS2 passed a long long time ago.

Let me get this straight, you're on a Playstation.com message board and you're saying that the Syphon Filter series is something that "gamers have never heard about"? You really haven't been playing video games for very long have you? Talk about a short memory.

Message Edited by CaptainAlbator on 04-25-2009 01:31 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 87 (2 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1069 posts

Apr 25, 2009

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Doletskaya wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Let me get this straight, you're on a Playstation.com message board and you're saying that the Syphon Filter series is something that "gamers have never heard about"? You really haven't been playing video games for very long have you? Talk about a short memory.

as if the game you mentioned was just released lately.......

I might not play as many games as you did during the PS2 generation,but all I know is the multiplayer mode in many games this generation has given me a tons of fun.

I don't know if you can feel it,but im sure many gamers do love multiplayer a lot.

And if you look at GeOW2,Halo3,KZ2 and R2,does the addition of multiplayer literally screw up the SP of any of these games?

Uncharted 2 is just as big as these games,so I don't think a multiplayer mode can easily blow up the whole game.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 87 (2 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1069 posts

Apr 25, 2009

valicvlast wrote:

I doubt Naughty Dog is going to stray away from Uncharted's core gameplay just to make multiplayer feel better and screw up the single player. That's not going to happen. Naughty Dog does not want to srew up one of their great franchises right now, especially if they plan on making a trilogy. I think multiplayer will be a fun and new experience for Uncharted, what I see it as is being Gears Of War but faster paced(and you can jump:smileyhappy:). I can understand how people don't want to include multiplayer as they think it will take time away from making a awesome single player experience, but just trust Naughty Dog in what they are planning. I'm positive that they don't want to dissapoint their fans.

exactly !! they said that the SP was their priority,so they've probably finished making the story mode by now and started polishing it.

Even if the MP does not exist in Uncharted 2,gamers won't see a big difference in its SP.

The multiplayer is simply a bonus feature NG got extra time to make.I don't know why people are so mad about it. 

Message Edited by Doletskaya on 04-25-2009 10:40 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 87 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2750 posts

Apr 25, 2009
Simply put multiplayer is a drain of resources on the project.  Every man hour Naughty Dog puts into multiplayer is an hour lost to making the single player game better or even workable.  Naughty Dog has the clock ticking on finishing this game and now they have to worry about this part too?  That is why this hurts the single player game, it’s about allocation of resources and multiplayer is a drain on resources only. 

Ironic that two years ago Naughty Dog was adamant that they didn’t put multiplayer in because Uncharted was about story and that special focus on single player. 

Wow, talk about catering to the low end of the audience.  They don’t listen to the people who understood and appreciated the story and experience; no they listen to the people who blindly spew ideas like everything needs multiplayer or this is how you get GOTY.

Message Edited by MonkeyKing1969 on 04-25-2009 01:54 PM
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face" - George Orwell

"A word and a blow -- And the blow first!" - Scottish Reiver Saying
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 87 (2 Views)
PlayStation MVP
24688 posts

Apr 25, 2009

Doletskaya wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Doletskaya wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

as if the game you mentioned was just released lately.......

I might not play as many games as you did during the PS2 generation,but all I know is the multiplayer mode in many games this generation has given me a tons of fun.

I don't know if you can feel it,but im sure many gamers do love multiplayer a lot.

And if you look at GeOW2,Halo3,KZ2 and R2,does the addition of multiplayer literally screw up the SP of any of these games?

Uncharted 2 is just as big as these games,so I don't think a multiplayer mode can easily blow up the whole game.

Oh yeah I forgot, according to the young people "old= bad". I guess I should throw out all my Beatle records now, they don't fit in with the gamer aesthetic. Then again I don't buy into that propaganda. Never had, never will.

They love multiplayer because it's EASIER. Who doesn't like things that are "easy"? Think about it. No characters, no plot, no objectives, no subplot to keep track of, no puzzles, just KILL, KILL, KIIIIIIIIIIIIIL!!! All the  game modes are structurally the same, and there's little variation in the gameplay. 

It seems like nobody has the attention span to actually sit through a decent story. How many times have we heard complaints about Metal Gear Solid 4's cutscenes that are "too long"? Quite a few actually. It's indicative of the youth today and the ADD generation. They're used to instant gratification. Instant messaging, instant downloads, instant oatmeal, entertainment on demand, instant pop stars, American Idol, instant movie sequels, microwave ovens, overnight delivery, etc.

I find it ironic that in light of all this gamers actually want LONGER games and complain about short ones. There's no appreciation for "the adventure" any more. And that's what Uncharted did, it harkened back to a time where it wasn't about being there, but GETTING there. It seems however, that's too abstract a concept for many younger gamers to grasp these days. Maybe Uncharted asks too much of gamers to actually immerse themselves in this reality that they felt no choice but to add multiplayer. 

Message Edited by CaptainAlbator on 04-25-2009 01:55 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 87 (2 Views)