Apr 13 2012
By: GreySun369 First Son 6 posts

Uncharted or Tomb Raider?

8 replies 5120 views Edited Apr 13, 2012

Which series do you perfer more and why?

I had gotten a Playstation 3 for X-mas last year and had purchased all three Uncharted games for the system as well as the Tomb Raider Trilogy which contains TR: Anniversary (I think it's a remake of the first game), TR: Legend, & TR: Underworld. I have beaten the first two Uncharted games and started on the third game, and I also played a little of Tomb Raider Anniversary but didn't get very far in it. So far I like the Uncharted games more, and my reason for it may seem kind of lame but I like it because it has better graphics than Tomb Raider. I know Tomb Raider games are older games but they just felt too cartoon-like to me, but I'm going to try and beat all three games on the collection because what little bit I played of Anniversary did seem fun and I'm curious about the other games.

On a side note I was a little disappointed with Uncharted 3 because it doesn't feature unlockable extras like the first two games had, so it'll probably be my least favorite in the series.

Message 1 of 9 (5,120 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
780 posts

Re: Uncharted or Tomb Raider?

May 11, 2012

In general I really love action adventure style games so I enjoy both Uncharted and Tomb Raider, but overall I prefer the Uncharted series.

If graphics are your main concern with the TR titles wait until you get to Tomb Raider Underworld, there's some really gorgeous environments.

I can't wait for the new Tomb Raider game, I love the redesigned Lara, I just hope it doesn't fall flat in the gameplay department.

Message 2 of 9 (5,120 Views)
Last Guardian
11297 posts

May 28, 2012

Haha, where's P00pZIeE when you need him?

Message 3 of 9 (5,120 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9693 posts

May 31, 2012
Message 4 of 9 (5,120 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11752 posts

May 31, 2012

In my opinion, both series have their ups and downs. I was playing the Tomb Raider games long before Uncharted. Buying each one year after year, the quality of the games started feeling repetitive around the time of the third entry. Critics blabbed about this truth, though I didn't care so much: after all, I was a fan.

Then came along Tomb Raider Chronicles in 2000, which was noticeably not quite as groovy as the rest of the series. And once again in 2003 the Tomb Raider franchise hit rock bottom. Core developed the first PlayStation 2 edition of the franchise, which gave off a Superman 64 effect. Everyone who played this game hated it with a passion. Hyped to be the next evolution of Tomb Raider, fans felt removed from whatever spell Tomb Raider had on them.

Still, even though Crystal Dynamics would replace the original development team at Core, my favorite game in the franchise to this day remains their fourth legacy, Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. Fitting name. By comparison, in 2007 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune threw me for a loop. This I think is one game at the top of its class. While Lara's fourth venture is admirable, the first time with Drake outmatches it at least in terms of technical polish.

Meanwhile, Uncharted's own future crept away from stardom in the follow-ups. Nowadays I'm probably not as lenient as I was with regurgitation. The second and third Uncharted games, both great, hardly manage to differentiate themselves in any major fashion. I'd probably put Lara's fourth entry above them, have the first Uncharted out in front, and all together point out that there was a time when both games were at the top, as there are also times when they're not as hot as they might think.

Message 5 of 9 (5,120 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4797 posts

Jun 7, 2012

GreySun369 wrote:

I had gotten a Playstation 3 for X-mas last year and had purchased all three Uncharted games for the system as well as the Tomb Raider Trilogy which contains TR: Anniversary (I think it's a remake of the first game), TR: Legend, & TR: Underworld. I have beaten the first two Uncharted games and started on the third game, and I also played a little of Tomb Raider Anniversary but didn't get very far in it. So far I like the Uncharted games more, and my reason for it may seem kind of lame but I like it because it has better graphics than Tomb Raider. I know Tomb Raider games are older games but they just felt too cartoon-like to me, but I'm going to try and beat all three games on the collection because what little bit I played of Anniversary did seem fun and I'm curious about the other games.

On a side note I was a little disappointed with Uncharted 3 because it doesn't feature unlockable extras like the first two games had, so it'll probably be my least favorite in the series.

You see comparising Tomb Raider and Uncharted is really disservice. Tomb Raider started way before Uncharted came into play, Uncharted was born on the PS3. Tomb Raider was born on the Sega Saturn but took off on the PS1. Imagine if Uncharted started off on the PS1?

Now I think Tomb Raider coming out next year will be Awesome but I am not making any comparisons because I don't need to. It's Lara Croft and not Nathan Drake! End of story.  Why do gamers compare Tomb Raider with Uncharted anyway?

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 6 of 9 (5,120 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12492 posts

Jun 7, 2012

GreySun369 wrote:

Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception is my favorite video game in the series because of its incredibly fun multiplayer component and its interesting characters. With that being said, I prefer Uncharted to Tomb Raider because of its colorful cast of characters but I have nothing against Lara Croft. It’s unfortunate that graphics are the deciding factor for you here. I really hope that the new installment to the Tomb Raider series will have something to offer you graphics-wise.

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 7 of 9 (5,120 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 6, 2013

I've never replied on any of the message boards, but I had to sign in and say kudos to you for such a thoughtful and fair response. I have become very frustrated with this debate and people polarizing the series into "which is better" and unfortunately I feel that most people forget to weigh the factors fairly. Thank you.

Message 8 of 9 (3,620 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 11, 2013

like others on here, I first started playing Tomb Raider before playing Uncharted. that was one of the first games that my Dad bought for the psx when it first came out. loved the game a lot too. tried the second and third game, but just found them rather stale. and then the movies came out and kinda reignited my interest in the franchise and sat down to play the inevitable PS2 Angel of Darkness. the controls were hard and just kinda gave up on it. but then ended up buying Legend when that came out and loved it a lot. had a great story to it and such. 

then I bought a PS3 this year, i had played the Uncharted games before a little bit. rented them to see if I liked them first before buying them. and i have to say that each of these franchises have their ups and downs. and I kinda can't say one is better than the other. finished the second Uncharted today actually. and loved it. they have a great story to them. and they kinda make me wish that we had an Indiana Jones pS3 game. but at the same time, I'm glad that we don't. cause Uncharted fills that niche for it. 

and also picked up Tomb Raider for Ps3. the reboot is awesome. definitely puts the franchise back on track, imo. and they are both equal to me. 

Message 9 of 9 (2,709 Views)
0 Likes