Highlighted
Aug 15 2010
By: free2play27 I Only Post Everything 1390 posts

Sir Francis Drakes Mansion as central hub in Uncharted 3?

5 replies 372 views Edited Aug 15, 2010

Sometimes I thought a headquarters or central point between acts where the player can walk around, view the treasures uncovered, alternate costumes, weapons, unlockables, easter eggs, would be great to the game not only to organize achievements and add a possible side story, but to really contribute to replay value by encouraging players to go back to the missions, collect some more treasure, and discover new things along the way!

However,

The headquarters/bonus story will only be introduced at the end of Uncharted 3 because:

It can really ruin storyline pacing, players want the feeling that Drake is immersed in his adventure the 100% of the time and wont like the "intermissiony" feel of a central hub.

So, reasons set aside! Here it is!:

Sir Francis Drake’s Mansion Headquarters/Bonus story 

- After you complete Uncharted 3 you find yourself in Sir Francis Drake's mansion (its real, pretty cool eh?) and Drake has it a mess! Crates, papers all over the place, some exotic antiques, etc... and all of the treasures you have collected throughout the game will be displayed here. There is also a hidden bonus story to uncover in which you might discover more of Drake's role as a treasure hunter with a shady past. During missions by either finding a secret item or earning a trophy for doing something amazing a player can obtain a "Tapestry fragment of Sir Francis Drake". When you obtain these fragments you can do absolutely nothing with them until you complete the game. However, after you do complete the game and are in the mansion, you can go into the library/study where the tapestry fragments are being pieced together and Drake will view it and give hints to the player i.e. "Hey, I've seen this before".  You might work on a puzzle of some ornate artifact in the mansion then when it's solved a secret passage will open! The passage might have obstacles, boobytraps, or more puzzles...but there is probably a valuable treasure guarded inside! And also it will uncover more about Drake's distant ancestor...was he a noble knight or were he and Drake more alike than we thought?

Perks:

-Depending on how much treasures you have collected throughout the missions you notice the mansion will have more items included:

Examples:

1) You notice the tribal spear, a tribal mask, an African headdress, and some pottery you recovered while on an expedition into the heart of the African Congo.

2)During the story, you defended Elena from a tiger in the ruins of Ankor Wat, you see the pelt somewhere as well as some jewels, tiles, and cool artifacts from the temple.

3)On an altar you see an ancient book, some gothic figurines of saints you recovered, and an antique candleholder, from a cathedral in Moscow.

Other features!:

-You can view costumes unlocked so far

-Can view weapons

-In a room, listen to the soundtrack of Uncharted 3

-Watch behind the scenes movies/deleted stuff

-Has an area to enter into singleplayer/multiplayer

-Easter eggs!

(I got this idea partially from really enjoying the little town/headquarters in Assassins Creed 2)

Naughty Dog can probably make this way better than me because they have pro's tossing ideas back and forth, :/ but just tell me what you guys think.

Will screaming at the television affect my team's chance of winning?
Message 1 of 6 (372 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5336 posts

Re: Sir Francis Drakes Mansion as central hub in Uncharted 3?

Aug 15, 2010
Hubs are awesome. So awesome.

Really, they make the whole thing much more immersion, and accessible. Cause it's like, 'oh I'll fire up ratchet and clank 3, chillout in the hub before deciding what to do, maybe play some captain quark holovids'.

It's like an excuse, to be on the game, without having to put much effort in, then when your ready you can set off and do your thing. However, a hub is pretty redundant if missions aren't repeatable from the hub, and the hub doesn't have a purpose.

But all the best adventure games have hubs, it really does add a lot.
Message 2 of 6 (372 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1390 posts

Aug 15, 2010

I agree! (And you probably knew because I'm the TC of this thread, but) Hubs are awesome! And if led you the wrong way, the missions are repeatable from the hub, the whole point is to give you more of an incentive to play the missions again so you can collect more treasure/unlock the side story with Sir Drake.

Message 3 of 6 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2950 posts

Aug 15, 2010
I LOVE THIS IDEA! Sorry for the caps but this is one is great!

If there's one thing that I really want for Uncharted 3 aside from underwater expeditions, it would be this. Such a great idea.

But it should only be used when needed, sometimes this Mansion could break the pace of the game greatly, but I imagine that ND knows how to use it.
Message 4 of 6 (372 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1390 posts

Aug 16, 2010

Hey Juanpipe wassap! I'm the guy who also came up with the heist idea if you remember. I came back to the boards because this fall/spring there is probably going to be an announcement for UC3. Hope something happens.

Message 5 of 6 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Aug 16, 2010

Kudos!!

THIS IS A GREAT POST.

It reminds me of Tomb Raider 2 and Laura Croft's house.

Message 6 of 6 (372 Views)
0 Likes