Highlighted
Nov 04 2009
By: Caemgen I Only Post Everything 813 posts

Please don't split the community by releasing paid map packs!

111 replies 141 views Edited Nov 4, 2009

You can charge whatever you want for skins, colored weapons, interactive comics and what not, but please keep the map packs free.

It's not that I don't want to pay for 'em. I would buy them anyway. But more than 50% of the 15.000 people (just a guess based on the 'Players online' information in the game) that play this game regularly will probably not.

And that sucks, because:

1) Matchmaking will be slower
2) Players that didn't buy the map pack will probably stop playing because a lot of people will only play on the new maps

I'm sure you're very aware of this and also saw what it did to the multiplayer in Killzone 2.

Of course, money has to be made as well, because developing DLC costs money. But with free DLC, chances are that the game will sell even better, so that justifies the 'risk'.

Also, the game sold very well anyway and I suspect it will continue to do so in the next few weeks

Message 1 of 112 (141 Views)
Gaming Beast
2265 posts

Re: Please don't split the community by releasing paid map packs!

Nov 4, 2009
yea this is the bigest problem with maps that cost money in online games i agree with you completely
Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - koifish
Message 2 of 112 (141 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

Nov 4, 2009
Good idea. Besides, this game only has 7MP maps, it needs more and should have come with more, charging for them will change my stance on ND the same charging for the KZ2 maps changed what I thought about GG.
My NEW MW2 mini movie- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBpI8FKCEaA
Message 3 of 112 (141 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
813 posts

Nov 4, 2009

xBigwolfx wrote:
Good idea. Besides, this game only has 7MP maps, it needs more and should have come with more, charging for them will change my stance on ND the same charging for the KZ2 maps changed what I thought about GG.

Don't forget that it's not just Naughty Dog that makes these kind of decisions.

Yes, I'm looking at you Sony.

Message 4 of 112 (141 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1962 posts

Nov 4, 2009

Yeah you guys are right. Why should the follow the route of most other successful games and continue making money? Keep working and provding support for a game, but do it for free please! Geez.

Both new Call of Duty's have done map packs, Warhawk has done new maps, Civiliazation has done new maps, even Tiger Woods charges for new courses. Its a way for companies to make more money, and make money to continue to provide support to a game. Look at it as a natural selection of sorts. If the game is strong enough, it will keep going. If it doesn't have a big enough community, then you're going to have to find something else.

Message 5 of 112 (141 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
813 posts

Nov 4, 2009

ChilliPalmer wrote:

Yeah you guys are right. Why should the follow the route of most other successful games and continue making money? Keep working and provding support for a game, but do it for free please! Geez.

Both new Call of Duty's have done map packs, Warhawk has done new maps, Civiliazation has done new maps, even Tiger Woods charges for new courses. Its a way for companies to make more money, and make money to continue to provide support to a game. Look at it as a natural selection of sorts. If the game is strong enough, it will keep going. If it doesn't have a big enough community, then you're going to have to find something else.

Both Call of Duty and Warhawk were much less fun to play online after the map packs were released.

In fact, I hardly ever played them after that, eventhough I purchased the DLC myself.

Message Edited by Caemgen on 11-04-2009 01:47 AM
Message 6 of 112 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1962 posts

Nov 4, 2009

Caemgen wrote:

ChilliPalmer wrote:

Both Call of Duty and Warhawk were much less fun to play online after the map packs were released.

In fact, I hardly ever played them after that, eventhough I purchased the DLC myself.

Perhaps for you but both games are extremely active considering how long theyve been out.

Message 7 of 112 (141 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
813 posts

Nov 4, 2009

ChilliPalmer wrote:

Caemgen wrote:

ChilliPalmer wrote:

Perhaps for you but both games are extremely active considering how long theyve been out.

True.

But as you may have noticed, there are far less active players in U2's multiplayer.

And the number of people online goes down a bit daily.

Message 8 of 112 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2545 posts

Nov 4, 2009

ChilliPalmer wrote:

You should look at what PC developers do. They continue to support their games with free new maps, and the new maps boost sales for the game and enhances the online community.

1UP: This seems like a game that would lend itself well to your style of episodic-content delivery. Is that something you have planned for the Xbox 360 and PC versions of Left 4 Dead?

Gabe Newell: ...TF2 is our product that's furthest along down this path -- we've been doing these updates every four to six weeks where we release new maps, new Achievements, new unlockables, new weapons, the movies like "Meet The Sniper," and so on.The response has been very strong. Each time we've done it , our multiplayer numbers and our sales have gone up by about 20 percent. So it's a way of growing an audience and developing an audience -- having those regular releases and thinking more of yourself as providing ongoing content streams seems to work really well.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3170080

Message Edited by hao-chi on 11-04-2009 02:46 AM
Message 9 of 112 (141 Views)
Fender Bender
3090 posts

Nov 4, 2009
I think map packs are just fine to be priced but pls give us free skins! Don't even try to sell those free skins. Really who wants to pay for character skins
Photobucket
Message 10 of 112 (141 Views)
0 Likes