Sep 03 2009
By: bytemap First Son 5 posts

[POSSIBLE] Uncharted Freeze Fix - Post Firmware-3.0 Update

45 replies 2729 views Edited Sep 3, 2009

Okay guys and gals, I don't know if this will work for everybody, but it's worth a shot. I was having this issue as well after the firmware 3.0 update. No matter what chapter I played, it would freeze on me randomly. So I actually stumbled across this by accident, but it actually worked. One last thing, I dont' know if anyone else has found a solution to this before an appropriate update fix to the firmware can be made, but this is a nice way to get by.

**POSSIBLE SOLUTION** 

When ever you go to start a new game or load a specific chapter and it asks you to select a save file to overwrite or to create... DON"T... Cancel that selection and you'll be prompted by Uncharted that the game will continue, but it won't have the "AUTOSAVE" function enabled. Meaning you have to save it manually for the rest of the game. So before you turn off your PS3, save your game.

I've tried this out for about 2 Hours before I noticed that it was the fact that Uncharted disabled the Autosave feature. I guess the new firmware 3.0 has some issues with Uncharted and it's autosave feature. That may also explain random crashes you may experience I believe as well.

No I didn't try this by loading game that's already in progress, but just wanted to see if this helped anyone. If you find any other solutions, I'm welcome to it as well, as much as the rest of our PS3 community

Hope this help guys.

OH, btw, I have an 80GB non-Backwards Compatible Phat PS3 and a clean copy of Uncharted, in case anyone was wondering Smiley Happy 

Message Edited by bytemap on 09-02-2009 10:12 PM
Message 1 of 46 (2,729 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: [POSSIBLE] Uncharted Freeze Fix - Post Firmware-3.0 Update

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah the problem is autosave but the problem is tht when start saving the autosave enables itself so u still have the problem the only way u can play the game is play a whole chapter without saving and when u cm up to the new chapter save the game if u want to continue go to main menu and select the chapter tht u have unlocked without saving and thts the way it goes
Message 2 of 46 (2,729 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
3 posts

Sep 3, 2009

Something else that seemed to fix the problem for me (I've only plated for about two hours after the fix so not sure if it's truly a fix):

1. delete the Uncharted game data (not the game save data)

2. Run the "Restore File System" utility -- directions are here: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?message.uid=39144801

3. Insert the game and you should be able to play from one of your old save points.

So far it has worked for me.

I also did the following, which honestly, I don't think does anything, but some people recommended:

1. Choose the "classic" theme (the one without the "sparkles")

2. In system settings, set "Notification Messages" to "Do Not Display"

3. In system settings, set "Display to "off" 

Best of luck ... 

Message 3 of 46 (2,729 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Sep 3, 2009
It froze for me in the same place in chapter 4 regardless of auto save.I held in the power button and restored my file system and now it works fine.It turned out it was freezing right before an L2 hint.That might have something to do with it becouse alot of poeple were having problems climbing down to the u-boat and you get an L2 hint there as well.
Message 4 of 46 (2,729 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 3, 2009
I've seen all these freezing complaints, wierd that nothing has happened to me.  And I have bad luck.
Message 5 of 46 (2,729 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 3, 2009

OR Sony could just fix the 3.0 update...!

Just sayin' 

Message 6 of 46 (2,729 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
143 posts

Sep 3, 2009

it is definately related to the autosave/hint features in the game.  all my freezes occured in areas where you autosaved  or the game wanted a L2 hint (or the option to say hold triangle to interact with something)

the work around may work for some but may not be a perminant fix.  odds are ND is just going to end up patching the game but might take em a week or two

i'm just glad to know my PS3  isn't broken .  I'll just play LBP or Red Faction  until it is 100% fixed

Message 7 of 46 (2,729 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Sep 3, 2009
Well, it looks like the auto-save/hint disabling fix worked for me.  I'm at least past the part it kept freezing at.  We'll see what happens when I go to save in another chapter, though.
Message 8 of 46 (2,729 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
143 posts

Sep 4, 2009

try this... load Uncharted ...  save then immediately to build a normal save file.      Exit and then go about deleting game data... then rebuild .. install new update and load the game up disabling the autosaving and hints etc.   Now.... if you feel brave enough to start over  start a new game but use a "NEW SAVE FILE"  this way you keep you rold one just incase this fails anyhow (or if they come out with a fix)

that might work just having a 100% fresh start    if it doesn't work  then like me.. just wait for a PS3 firmware update   or a NaughtyDog game patch

I got a feeling this may go the route of  devs having to patch up their games to become compatible with firmware 3.00

A firmware update for the PS3  is like a service pack for windows    we got SP 3.0 basically  great some stuff now isn't working right   those companies gotta send down the right driver(update)  to make it work right.      They could be like Creative and leave everyone high and dry like they did for over a year with X-Fi cards    or they can be true heroes and rush out patches and be like Logitech who quickly had updates for their products so you can get that G15 LCD rockin on vista

Message 9 of 46 (2,729 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 4, 2009

Tried disabling auto-save and hints.. but every time I 'finish' the wave of enemies in Chapter 11 'Trapped', the game crashes. I've created several different save files, deleted the game data, pretty much everything suggested, but it just won't let me continue past chapter 11.

Have Sony or Naughty Dog even mentioned that they know about this?

Message 10 of 46 (2,729 Views)
0 Likes