Highlighted
Dec 07 2009
By: Spathis Hekseville Citizen 278 posts

My thoughts on Uncharted 2's Multiplayer and afew reasons why Online is dying.

43 replies 133 views Edited Dec 7, 2009

These are my thoughts. I am NOT speaking on behalf of the community. No trolling from fanboys please. Only post if you have something sensible to add to the discussion. 

The online community is dying, every time I log in there is less and less people on at peak times. Giving out a free map didn't do anything, the extra damage experiment weekend isn't doing anything, and giving out double experience weekends didn't do much. So why are there so little people playing online? And why is that number slowing decreasing?

Personally I think Naughty Dog has either given up or doesn't care about Uncharted 2's multiplayer, I've had the feeling since the Closed Beta from way back in June (Yes I acknowledge the free map giveaway but I think it was only done out of desperation for the stability of the online community) What was the point of both the Beta's if they didn't do anything?  Did they add a Clan system based on Player feedback? No. Did they add a Late Join system based on player feedback? No. Have a look at all these suggestions based from player feedback I compiled even from way back in the beta. http://is.gd/5erMh Now don't get me wrong I have no problem with the core game mechanics of Uncharted 2's Multiplayer, but a sizable portion of those suggestions and player wish lists are essential to Multiplayer. Also would it hurt Arne or another ND employee to post every once and awhile on these forums to build up some community feeling like Seb Downie did with Killzone 2? I haven't seen anyone post since ReklissAbandon let slip about cross game chat.

Another reason why I think no one plays or is starting to draw away from Uncharted 2's multiplayer is the ability to make the player always feel rewarded. Whether you love or hate the game its something COD4/5 and Modern Warfare 2 does it right. Every level up you feel your getting rewarded. Every kill you feel your contributing to unlocking something for your weapon. Every headshot gets rewarded toward your weapon. MW2 takes it a step further with Titles and Emblems. The carrot on the stick method works with allot of people, it gives people goals, it keeps them playing longer. The problem with Uncharted 2 is the unlocks suck. Add more character skins, add weapon skins (besides the Golden Weapons), add boosters that don't suck. As it stands besides a select few, all the boosters are useless. Seriously what’s the point of the 'Break up' Booster when hardly any of the levels have anything you can break? Why not take it a step further and allow for 3 booster slots, obviously you would balance it in a way not to make things overpowered.  

Its my opinion that Naughty Dog are driving people away with their shinanigans and bad design choices. Like today i was happily playing some Plunder, i got the RPG shot an enemy but a team-mate happened to be nearby and it killed him as well. I got instantly kicked from the game after ONLY ONE team kill. Now let’s see, I can't kill a team-mate with bullets or by punching them, but I can with an explosive? LOL who’s friken idea was that?!? Sure I can be careful as to where i shoot explosives and grenades. But heres a better idea GET RID OF TEAMKILLING ALTOGETHER! Now another example of Naughty Dog's shinanigans is the inability to put a Late Join system into the game. They have had 2 betas and the full retail game to do so. Look I have never left a game and have never received a penalty of any kind but let’s just get rid of the 40K penalty, put in a Late Join system and the person who leaves just gets a loss on their stats and leave it at that. Simple. The Late Join system can replace that empty slot on your team like COD. As it stands its driving people away from the game.

These are my thoughts on the matter. I am NOT speaking on behalf of the community. No trolling from fanboys please. Only post if you have something sensible to add to the discussion.  

Message Edited by Spathis on 12-06-2009 04:49 PM
Message 1 of 44 (133 Views)
Wastelander
707 posts

Re: My thoughts on Uncharted 2's Multiplayer and afew reasons why Online is dyin

Dec 7, 2009

I certainly wouldn't say the online is dying at all.  Since launch, I have never seen anything higher than 9K players online.  On the demo there were 20k players online consistently, but that's because it was a demo.  There were 8K players online today for the most part, but there have been nights when the count was down to 3K.  It's remained a somewhat stable community, hovering around 5-6,000 players most of the time.

The new map brought the player count up for a day or two to 9K at times, and I figure more DLC, skins, and a Crushing playlist would bring a lot more people into the community, possibly boosting it over the 10K mark for the first time, as far as I know.

Edit-  There are quite a few boosters that are useless.  I think the idea of a third slot would be great: one for weapon mods (Down the Irons, Keep Firing, Bandoleer, weapon related Badges of Honor, etc.), one for player mods (Deposit, Situational Awareness, Silent Movement, related Badges of Honor, etc.), and one for the remainder mods (Break-up, three grenades, related Badges of Honor, etc.)

I think that would be the best idea, really.  Joining in progress would be great, but I don't care as long as they get rid of the 40K penalty.  It's not fair to have a 5vs2 Plunder, with no hope of someone to join in and help your boys out.  I hope ND considers this and if they do, implement it quickly!

Message Edited by shnoob2 on 12-06-2009 08:01 PM
Message Edited by shnoob2 on 12-06-2009 08:02 PM
Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - shnoob2
Message 2 of 44 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
175 posts

Re: My thoughts on Uncharted 2's Multiplayer and afew reasons why Online is dyin

Dec 7, 2009

shnoob2 wrote:

I certainly wouldn't say the online is dying at all.  Since launch, I have never seen anything higher than 9K players online.  On the demo there were 20k players online consistently, but that's because it was a demo.  There were 8K players online today for the most part, but there have been nights when the count was down to 3K.  It's remained a somewhat stable community, hovering around 5-6,000 players most of the time.

The new map brought the player count up for a day or two to 9K at times, and I figure more DLC, skins, and a Crushing playlist would bring a lot more people into the community, possibly boosting it over the 10K mark for the first time, as far as I know.

I agree. there is consistantly 7,000-9,000 people online every time that I do. that may not be as much as the call of duty series, but that is a lot of players. the online for this game is awesome. and obviously they care about us because they released the new map and leaderboards. and since they are doing that experiment this weekend, obviously that shows that the are experimenting at how we like it so they can make the mulitplayer so that the players enjoy the game as much as they can

Message 3 of 44 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
278 posts

Dec 7, 2009

But you have to admit if alot of those suggestions from the link where taken on board the online commununity would see a boost? Imagine adding a clan system in, and how many clans and people will start playing. Also for the record a Clan and Party system are not the same thing.

Matching being another example. It takes far far far too long to join a game. Sometimes for me it could take up to 5 minutes. I live in Australia and i have a great internet connection. Also why can't i keeping playing with the same people match after match like COD, Killzone 2, Warhawk and every other game on the PSN?

My point is there is alot of little (too many) annoyances that are driving people away from the game. I've said before whether you love or hate the game, there is alot of stuff COD4/5 and MW2 does right. There is a reason why its so popular. Having a 'good/fun' Uncharted 2 only gets you so far.

Message Edited by Spathis on 12-06-2009 05:15 PM
Message 4 of 44 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Dec 7, 2009

Nice treatise. It's never a bad thing to want the best out of every game, and COD certainly does a lot right, stuff that no game before it has done, and stuff that, even after COD4, other games are still not doing as well.

But, if you are only playing a game to get more stuff, to accrue more rewards, to level up, then I think you're kinda missing the point. I play Uncharted 2 because it's a fun, competitive, fair experience. That there are hooks of leveling is nice, but I wouldn't be playing if each game wasn't fun. 

So, play if it's fun to you. If it's not. If you're only playing for the rank or the stuff, then play something else. Don't rant against Naughty Dog like it's an abusive parent. That's just petty. 

Message 5 of 44 (133 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
357 posts

Dec 7, 2009
Kierkegarrd i agree with you. I understand alot of people do not care for the new health,and that is fine. All this talk about everybody leaving UC2 multiplayer is a bunch of BS! I dont care about MW2,never have never will. If UC2 multiplayer is not fun to you anymore stop playing. You can always go back to MW and all the other shooters you consider fun. 
Message 6 of 44 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
649 posts

Dec 7, 2009

Kierkegaard11 wrote:

Nice treatise. It's never a bad thing to want the best out of every game, and COD certainly does a lot right, stuff that no game before it has done, and stuff that, even after COD4, other games are still not doing as well.

But, if you are only playing a game to get more stuff, to accrue more rewards, to level up, then I think you're kinda missing the point. I play Uncharted 2 because it's a fun, competitive, fair experience. That there are hooks of leveling is nice, but I wouldn't be playing if each game wasn't fun. 

So, play if it's fun to you. If it's not. If you're only playing for the rank or the stuff, then play something else. Don't rant against Naughty Dog like it's an abusive parent. That's just petty. 

I 100% agree with you.

If anybody watched any of the bonus movies from Drake's Fortune, there was one point in one of the movies where somebody said (it may have been Evan Wells) "We always ask ourselves 'Is this game fun?'"  I would have to answer "Yes, yes it is".  That's the point of playing a game, to have fun, not be rewarded for stuff to make a game easier so it becomes less fun.  However the rewards in this game are great, I like the Marco Polo skin.

Message 7 of 44 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5678 posts

Dec 7, 2009

what ND needs to do is add more content right now we only have 8 maps which isnt much.

adding another game mode will be awesome also.

UC2 online is still alive. 

Message 8 of 44 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
885 posts

Dec 7, 2009
The only thing I disagree with is that the new map didn't do anything.  I saw the online count go up 2,000 the day the new map released.
Message 9 of 44 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
415 posts

Dec 7, 2009

I have my thoughts about why the community is dying.  The biggest dropoff in participation that I noticed came when they instituted the quit penalty, and honestly I'm pretty sure that's the number one reason why the community has dwindled so.  Then there's the health issue...and while I like 65%, there's clearly people who don't...so you can't please everyone...

...but for the OP to suggest Naughty Dog doesn't care about the MP feature is just ridiculous.  For all it's faults, it's a good online shooter.  It's game modes are many and the variety of games to play is robust to say the least.  Naughty Dog is working on more DLC to go along with the FREE DLC they just dropped and over the past few weekends, they've been running tests on different tweaks here and there they can do to make the experience better.

With all the work they've done to this point and all the work they're continuing to do for the online component, for someone to sit around and suggest that Naughty Dog doesn't care about the online product...that's just stupid.  Assenine.  Moronic.  Lame.

CLEARLY they care.  Go check out the GTA, MGO or TF2 online communities if you REALLY want to see an online community that the developer doesn't give a **bleep** about. 

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - ChokeAhoQuick
Message 10 of 44 (133 Views)