Nov 29 2009
By: InfectedCrypts Wastelander 678 posts

Multiplayer matchmaking a little unfair

6 replies 49 views Edited Nov 29, 2009
I just rented the game yesterday and am having a blast playing it. It's definitely one of THE BEST games I've ever played. I went to play multiplayer last night and it paired me - a level 1 - with level 45s and 30s. What is that about? Shouldn't it pair you with people on the same skill level? Or is there an option to? I know I'm gonna hear "well, get better at it", but that's not the problem. I'm not complaining about being bad it, that's fine.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Death metal loving, forensic pathologist extraordinaire.

Message 1 of 7 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3971 posts

Re: Multiplayer matchmaking a little unfair

Nov 29, 2009
I remember one time there was a party of 4 guy's above level 50, and you'd think that they'd pair the level 5 guy (lowest out of us 10) with those 4 level 50 guys to even it out a bit, but no they pair up the level 47 guy (the 5th highest guy there), leaving us level 20's and 30's on one team. We still won the game though, and most of us were still in + k/d ratios. I think I even had the most kills (or second most). I was surprised a bit (usually party's are better than individuals, and you'd think a party of 4 +50 guys would be good).
Photobucket
Message 2 of 7 (49 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Nov 29, 2009

There isn't an option to be paired with people of a similar level, as far as I know and I'm not sure if that's actually a bad thing. In your case, pairing you up with them could give you benefits, depending on the average level of the other team. : D

The levels don't account for how good the player is. They are relative to how much time the player has put into the game. There is a correlation between the two, but it doesn't prove that the team with the most lvl 30s or 40s will win for sure. So pairing them up with lower (or higher) ranking players should not make much of a difference in the game (as it didn't in StevenSSX's case).

And looking at the big picture, matching people up like so is more efficient than matching people based on the level groups. There are only so many people who are lvl 10s and there are only so many people who are 50s, for example. It'd make sense to believe that matching each individual with other players in their level range would take a longer time to do.

Just my ideas. Interesting topic, by the way.

Message 3 of 7 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
678 posts

Nov 29, 2009
 Yeah I can see what you mean by rank not meaning how good someone is. I mean, if someone were to play MW2 for a long time, and not do too good, they can still level up, just not as fast because they're not as good. You know what I mean. Like you said, no real correlation.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Death metal loving, forensic pathologist extraordinaire.

Message 4 of 7 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
58 posts

Nov 29, 2009

I just started playing the multiplayer a few days ago and I too noticed this!

And it wasn't the fact that level 50's and level 3's were playing in the same game that bothered me, 

in fact, isn't that good? You fight alongside stronger allies and learn from them, take part in some cool strategy and attack patterns and have a good time!

it was the way the game split up the teams that captured my attention.

level 3's and 30's were on one side, while a 10 and some 40's and 50's were on the other side (of course this is approximate, but you get what i mean, uneven sides)

that did lead to a few games i played in leading to games with scores of 50 to 28, so it was indeed rather unbalanced.

perhaps naughty dog will address this? 

Message 5 of 7 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Nov 29, 2009
My take on the "playing only in the same games as your rank" issue is that probably because there isnt a big enough multiplayer community for Uncharted 2 compared to MW2. At its launch, there'd be over 10K people online, but since MW2 came out, that population has died down to about 3K - 6K. Only cuz there was a patch and new map plus double points this weekend, the number went up to around 9K. So I think that if the game only limits you playing with others in similar rank as you, you'd probably see the same people over and over again in multiple games, which is no fun. I did notice however, that I played in the same game 4 times today with this Euro dude, I had no idea what he was saying over his mic...lol and this is WITHOUT the game limiting me playing with people my own rank. I guess it's cuz we left the same game together and moved right along, then just got connected at the same time to the same game again haha
Message 6 of 7 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
364 posts

Nov 29, 2009
Level and Rank are two completely seperate things. Go to ranked matches and you'll be put with people more your skill-range. Because Level doesn't have anything to do with skill, it'll never pair up EXACTLY even.
Message 7 of 7 (49 Views)
0 Likes