I Only Post Everything
938 posts

Re: Lag Compensation: Biggest BS in this game

Dec 1, 2009

GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS wrote:

gottherim4 wrote:
I agree with the annoyance of lag problems. I think this is why I am on co-op 95% of the time.

It's NOT lag problems. It's Lag COMPENSATION. They purposely designed the game that way. Killzone2 is like that too. If you notice, alot of times two guys with shotguns in KZ2 will TRADE kills due to lag compensation. 

Stupid design choice IMO and the one thing that always p*sses me off about playing U2 online. 

"oh crap im getting shot... I better duck behind cover."

*ducks behind cover*

"okay good..im safe now...whew! that was close!"

*dies*

"WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!!"

Message Edited by GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS on 12-01-2009 05:38 AM

so you would prefer shooting at a guy it looking like it was hitting, but not registering instead due to actual lag?

also on a side note lag compensation is also why grenades seem to have a large kill radius 

Survival Mode Point system
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=uncharteddf&message.id=77369&jump=true#M77369
Message 11 of 27 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Dec 1, 2009

Have you played many games without some kind of lag smoothing or compensation lately?

They are terrible, it might be an annoying aspect but it's certainly better then the alternative of a slideshow game. 

Message 12 of 27 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
360 posts

Dec 1, 2009

Wait! So it's not just my **bleep**ty internet and the damn game is designed this way!? NOOOO! This post no joke just ruined my day as I was looking forward to upgrading my internet in 2 weeks when I move.

Uncharted 2 is one of the best games ever made, but this lag compensation ruins most games I play. Atleast once a game if not 4-5 times I find myself getting pissed off because some jackass kills me even though I'm behind cover or melees me from 10 feet away. This issue needs to be fixed, and if it can't because the game is designed this way, good dog Naughty Dog making a retarded decision and **bleep**ing up big time on a game that is otherwise a masterpiece.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Curtins4u
Message 13 of 27 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1503 posts

Dec 1, 2009

GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS wrote:

Lag compensation.

You know those times when you are behind cover and still for some reason get killed.... thats lag compensation. 

Those times you run around a building and seemingly get hit from an impossible angle... thats lag compensation. 

This is the most endlessly frustrating thing in the game (along with grenades being thrown in .0001 seconds, and being melee'd from 10 yards away). It's little stuff like this that turned off alot of casual players because stuff like this is obvious BS and gets players upset. 

Naughty Dog...Dear Naughty Dog. We love you. But please fix this crap for the next game you make. 

I suffer from all of those problems too, specially the being meele'd from 10 yards away 

Message 14 of 27 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Dec 1, 2009
You what is funny? CoD4 had the same exact thing- I'm not joking. The thing is, it's in most multiplayer games, and it probably is there for a reason. They wouldn't put it in if it didn't provide some benefit, and since we have no experience without it who are we to judge?
Message 15 of 27 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

Dec 1, 2009
These are the exact reasons why I only play co op, hated cod4, and didn't purchase mw2. It takes the fun out of the game, so what's the use in playing.

You can't argue with a tree stump. Well, you can, they just won't understand.
You should never mistake lag advantage for gaming skill.
Message 16 of 27 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
965 posts

Dec 1, 2009

GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS wrote:

Lag compensation.

You know those times when you are behind cover and still for some reason get killed.... thats lag compensation. 

Those times you run around a building and seemingly get hit from an impossible angle... thats lag compensation. 

This is the most endlessly frustrating thing in the game (along with grenades being thrown in .0001 seconds, and being melee'd from 10 yards away). It's little stuff like this that turned off alot of casual players because stuff like this is obvious BS and gets players upset. 

Naughty Dog...Dear Naughty Dog. We love you. But please fix this crap for the next game you make. 

that and a bunch of other things need to be fixed. BTW that stuff happens to me all the time
Message 17 of 27 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
965 posts

Dec 1, 2009
Is that the reason why i get pulled down when im like 10 feet away from a guy and when i do it and they are 5 feet away i dont???
Message 18 of 27 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
510 posts

Dec 2, 2009

Baxter2231 wrote:
Is that the reason why i get pulled down when im like 10 feet away from a guy and when i do it and they are 5 feet away i dont???

Lag compensation is the reason why pull downs can happen from ridiculous, physically impossible spots. 

I know for a fact that Naughty Dog changed it to make it that way because it was NOT like that in the June Beta.

Message 19 of 27 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
225 posts

Dec 2, 2009

It seems there is a lot of misunderstanding regarding how latency online manifests in games.  Your ping is the amount of time it takes for information to travel between the server (in this case the host's PS3) and you.  This is measured in milliseconds, and for online dedicated servers (PC games mostly) and a player with a broadband connection this time can be quite low, under 10 ms.  For P2P games (anything without dedicated servers) these pings are usually higher, rumored and estimated to be in the 100-150 range.  This time is a delay due to wiring and routers and the whole mechanism of the internet working, and is present to some extent in every online game. 

Think about a scenario here.  You are in a game against another player with a dedicated server set up.  You walk around the corner and see him, and he sees you.  You both pull the trigger.  What happens?  Your console sends the information that you shot to the server, taking a time of ~100ms (a tenth of a second) to reach it.  The server records this as you shooting.  The other player does the same, and lets say his ping is only 50 ms, so his information (shot) arrives to the server first.  The server now has some choices.  Technically, his shot arrived first, and it is not easy to tell if this is because he pulled the trigger first or because he has a lower ping than you.  One option is to simply immediately declare you dead.  The other option is to say that if shots arrive within a few seconds of eachother, to declare both players as hit. 

How does this all appear on your screen?

You saw the enemy and immedietely pulled the trigger, then ducked behind cover.  Since it takes 50 ms for the shot from the other guy to get to the server, and then 100 ms for that to get to your console, there is a delay of 150 ms between the other guy shooting you and your console knowing that you have actually been shot.  Since you cannot have the console wait 150 ms between each action you perform to check if you are dead, the game continues allowing you to play for a fraction of a second, oblivious to your demise.  After you are in cover, the server says "you died 150 ms ago, a few feet away" and drops you to the ground, so you complain and are angry.

You can tell where games insert the break between your console and the server by examining the speed of actions.  Take older PC games like the original COD (i think, maybe it was original battlefield, i can't remember).  In that game if you walked up to a wall, and point blank shot it, you would see the gun firing animation and then a delay before the bullet hit the wall.  That is your ping.  This can be pretty frustrating for players with slower connections as you can imagine, so now game developers tend to insert the delay later- between the impact of the bullet and the result of that impact (i.e. death of an enemy).  Take killzone 2 or COD4 (on console and PC).  If you use a shotgun and point blank shoot a guy in the head your console shows blood or whatever coming out of the guys head since it knows you have hit him, but it has to hear back from the server before it shows the death animation of the character.  That is why when you shotgun someone you pull the trigger, hear a bang, see the shot hit, the guy takes a few more steps (this is the lag) and THEN dies.  Sometimes, as in KZ2, they actually return the corpse to the position it was at when it died.  

I tried my best to explain this, I hope it isn't too confusing.

If you understood all of that, then you will understand why PC gamers are so angry at Infinity Ward for releasing MW2 without any dedicated servers.  When a player hosts a game, they are the server, and they have a 0 ms ping.  If they shoot, there is no delay, and that is a huge huge advantage.  At least with dedicated servers everybody has a ping and the playing field is more even.

Message Edited by Polycarp on 12-01-2009 05:57 PM
Message 20 of 27 (164 Views)