Uncharted Territory
1803 posts

Re: Just Played Multi-Player for the 1st Time!

Mar 8, 2010

The**bleep**yOne wrote:

I can't wait to get out of work and play! OK, I'll leave the shield alone. Thanks for the blind fire tip.  It'd be great if I could download "The Invisible man" skin.

Everyone's pretty much answered  your questions, so I'll just add my "welcome!" and say just stick with it. It's a great game, and only gets more fun the more you play and the better you get.

Also, as for partying up, you don't have to, but it's not a bad idea when you're starting out, to get some friends (and that could be real-life friends or just PSN friends) who play and jump in together. Not only will you have a better chance if you work together, you'll learn a lot more by playing with people who help you out than you will by just going 1-15 over and over. You have to play a lot to get better, but there are certain "tricks" you can learn more quickly if someone's willing to teach you - some are map specific, and some are just general to the game.

Message 11 of 22 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Mar 8, 2010

Another thing I found helpful when first starting out:

Start a custom match, Machinima mode, pick a map you want to try out, then play it by yourself for a bit. That way you can get the feel of the different maps and weapon placements without anyone shooting at you. It's bad enough trying not to killed in Deathmatch, but it's even worse when you have no idea where you are on a map.

Message 12 of 22 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1803 posts

Mar 8, 2010

jd_pixter wrote:

Another thing I found helpful when first starting out:

Start a custom match, Machinima mode, pick a map you want to try out, then play it by yourself for a bit. That way you can get the feel of the different maps and weapon placements without anyone shooting at you. It's bad enough trying not to killed in Deathmatch, but it's even worse when you have no idea where you are on a map.

I've never actually done this (I just learned the hard way), but it is a huge help when you know a map - what routes to take, where someone might sneak up on you, where the different weapons are, etc, and this is probably the quickest way to do it.

Message 13 of 22 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17803 posts

Mar 8, 2010

I used to get killed 10-2, 10-3 when I first started, as I was a total FPS n00b.

Now, after thousands of deaths, I'm up to .75 (which took forever.)  But I had fun every time I played.

Don't worry, you will get better.  If you're enjoying yourself, have at it.

Add me as a friend, if you'd like to "party" up.  And if you have a mike, use it, I'll plug mine in, chat and help if I can.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 14 of 22 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
808 posts

Mar 8, 2010

Welcome and no its not just my girlfriend has just started playing and always wanted to play deathmatch untill i made her play all competitive mode.  She loves it now cause it has nothing to do with how many kills you get.  I would start there cause these modes are fun even if you die alot it makes no difference to the end of the match, unless its deathmatch lol

Photobucket
Message 15 of 22 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
563 posts

Mar 8, 2010

My advice is not to worry at all about k/d ratios.  Especially, if you're new.  I spent the majority of my time sitting around 2.95 but after playing Plunder a buttload and going for triples/bbqs/stealths it's gone down to like 1.5 or maybe even less now.  What angers me the most are the people who play Plunder like a DM and don't even go for the treasure.  Too worried about their silly nobodycaresabout ratios to be a team player which makes those games freakin endless.

lux1979
Message 16 of 22 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
473 posts

Mar 8, 2010

I'll be on a Friend Adding Frenzy.  As for learning the map - I found that out the hard way. I run to a spot and a dudes on the roof picking my team apart. Then I didn't know there was a spot to hang on a ledge and was killed there too. I have been having a blast playing.  I like checking the cameras while I'm waiting to respawn.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - TheCockyOne
Search + Win
Message 17 of 22 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
238 posts

Mar 8, 2010

Eternal21 wrote:

The**bleep**yOne wrote:

thanks for the input.  I had a shield last night and someone still killed me.

Lol.  I was just kidding.  It's an inside joke - but the only people you'll ever see running around with a Shield are Level 1's.  Don't ever pick it up.  It's useless (you'd think ND would try to balance it already).  The best advice I can give you, is to use blindfire for 1 second and then punch when in close quarters with an enemy.

Reading this just makes my blood boil about a recent match where I tried to Steel Fist a shielded enemy in the back (to TCO: that's the gun'n'punch technique he just described). The bullets connected but when I melee'd I found myself bashed with the shield and dead in a moment. It was like a weird combination of lag and the shield turning being faster than I would have expected.

While what you say about the shield is mostly true and I don't think I've ever used it, if you watch enough Cinema files you'll see it work out from time to time. Like if someone is stupidly running at someone, if the "victim" happens to be on top of a shield he can grab it real quick and blindfire to get a quick and safe kill. The shield might also work in tight areas. Otherwise the idea of using it is very uncomforable to me, mostly because I can't remember how many times I've blown unsuspecting shield users apart with grenades. (Shooting them with the shotgun is also fun.) Still, I actually like to keep it in the back of my head that I will hopefully one day find an opportunity to get a quick kill with a shield and feel like a badass.

Oh, and TCO you can add me. I was in your situation a few months back. I still have my first match saved and I like to watch how I just barely manage to get 2 kills. I still feel like I have a long journey ahead because I still have my ocassional bad match and therefore am having trouble raising my K/D ratio above 1.12, and I kind of feel like forgetting about that in favor or trying for tropies, experimenting, and playing a larger variety of modes.

Message 18 of 22 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1803 posts

Mar 8, 2010

TP3200 wrote:

Eternal21 wrote:

The**bleep**yOne wrote:

thanks for the input.  I had a shield last night and someone still killed me.

Lol.  I was just kidding.  It's an inside joke - but the only people you'll ever see running around with a Shield are Level 1's.  Don't ever pick it up.  It's useless (you'd think ND would try to balance it already).  The best advice I can give you, is to use blindfire for 1 second and then punch when in close quarters with an enemy.

Reading this just makes my blood boil about a recent match where I tried to Steel Fist a shielded enemy in the back (to TCO: that's the gun'n'punch technique he just described). The bullets connected but when I melee'd I found myself bashed with the shield and dead in a moment. It was like a weird combination of lag and the shield turning being faster than I would have expected.

While what you say about the shield is mostly true and I don't think I've ever used it, if you watch enough Cinema files you'll see it work out from time to time. Like if someone is stupidly running at someone, if the "victim" happens to be on top of a shield he can grab it real quick and blindfire to get a quick and safe kill. The shield might also work in tight areas. Otherwise the idea of using it is very uncomforable to me, mostly because I can't remember how many times I've blown unsuspecting shield users apart with grenades. (Shooting them with the shotgun is also fun.) Still, I actually like to keep it in the back of my head that I will hopefully one day find an opportunity to get a quick kill with a shield and feel like a badass.

Oh, and TCO you can add me. I was in your situation a few months back. I still have my first match saved and I like to watch how I just barely manage to get 2 kills. I still feel like I have a long journey ahead because I still have my ocassional bad match and therefore am having trouble raising my K/D ratio above 1.12, and I kind of feel like forgetting about that in favor or trying for tropies, experimenting, and playing a larger variety of modes.

Someone got me with the sheild the other day... I think I was behind them, and as soon as I took my first shot, they rolled - of course - but happened to roll over a shield, which they picked up and then blindfired me for the kill. Only time I've ever seen it, but it was basically the equivalent of getting behind cover and blindfiring - I wasn't expecting it and had no time to react.

OP or anyone can feel free to add me as well. I just like to have fun and be respectful to people I'm playing with or against, and I have no problem trying different modes or whatever...

Message 19 of 22 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
540 posts

Mar 8, 2010

also always be prepared to shoot when you turn a corner, aim your gun, just to see if anyones there so you can get a jump on your opponent, also when you throw your grenades, aim your gun first, then tap L2, never use the arc unless your under cover or you will be a sitting duck.  Also use cover effectively, be sure to move around the map.

Never stay in the same spot for 2 long or you will surely get defeated.

Photobucket
Message 20 of 22 (116 Views)