Highlighted
Sep 03 2011
By: Oo_E2M_oO Wastelander 730 posts

Is uncharted not a world class franchise?

9 replies 55 views Edited Sep 3, 2011

I came across this article where a sledgehammer dev was talking into gettting the CoD series into the tps genre heres his quote "It was pretty exciting, I mean the idea of the sort of global appeal of Call of Duty meets sort of the third-person genre for the first time. And there are a lot of fans out there who enjoy games like Uncharted, right? So you can imagine that genre meets a world-class franchise."

heres the full article http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Call-Duty-Dev-Says-Uncharted-Franchise-Isn-t-Quite-World-Class-3477...

Message 1 of 10 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4140 posts

i love how a company that throws out the same ***** every...

Sep 3, 2011
i love how a company that throws out the same ***** every year and has over priced dlcs is saying this about uncharted. In my mind COD is not a world class game and i would never pay for one of there games

and a 3rd person cod humm haven't they done that with Socom. Even if they made a 3rd person it would never be as good as UC or even gears

sorry had a little rant there....

-------------------

What a wasteland it's become
Message 2 of 10 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20641 posts

Actually, MW2 had Third Person game modes and Treyarch to...

Sep 3, 2011
Actually, MW2 had Third Person game modes and Treyarch took them out in Black Ops.
Message 3 of 10 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
731 posts

Sledgehammer, Activision, Infinity Ward and Treyarch all...

Sep 3, 2011

A couple of days ago, someone at Sledgehammer said that the reason why call of duty is the same every year is because the PS3 hardware is aging. 2 things wrong with that. 1.) You have been using the same engine for god knows how long and your blaming the hardware? BS. 2.) Interesting that they didn't mention the 360's aging hardware because its a year older than the PS3's. I guarantee you that cod would be a 360 exclusive, if it weren't for the fact that Activision makes millions of dollars from the PS3 alone. Saying Uncharted isn't world class? That's going to far. call of duty isn't even close to being half the game that Uncharted is. Not to mention, that they didn't mention another popular TPS, Gears of War. That game didn't sell 10 million copies so does that mean GoW isn't world class? No. So why is Uncharted? Here's a link for anyone interested in Sledgehammer's BS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjziUBCUytc

LUDICROUS_BANANA STRIKES AGAIN!

Message 4 of 10 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
929 posts

He was probably excited about the product he was working...

Sep 3, 2011

He was probably excited about the product he was working on and got sloppy about how he expressed that... but whatever, it definitely does come over very badly...

It's a strange thing to say really anyway... because although there are people that like COD and Uncharted, a LOT of people prefer one or the other, so it seems to me that trying to make some odd hybrid would probably please nobody...

Message 5 of 10 (55 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

The reason UC is not making a billon dollars per week lik...

Sep 3, 2011

The reason UC is not making a billon dollars per week like CoD is because U3 is an exclusive. Not everybody in the world has a PS3.

Message 6 of 10 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1466 posts

Depends on what you mean by world class. It's a pretty ge...

Sep 3, 2011

Depends on what you mean by world class. It's a pretty general word.

--

Paying for Uncharted 2 content? Heck no.

Rioichi Cooper.
Message 7 of 10 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5302 posts

I think Uncharted is world class. It has good single play...

Sep 4, 2011
I think Uncharted is world class. It has good single players.

Sales mean nothing, may as well make Avatar the best movie ever made over films like "Lord of the Rings".
Message 8 of 10 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
331 posts

If sales make something world-class, then E.T is a world-...

Sep 5, 2011

If sales make something world-class, then E.T is a world-class game.

'Nuff said.

Insert signature here.
Message 9 of 10 (55 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

My suspicion is that production was also suspended to a l...

Sep 5, 2011

My suspicion is that production was also suspended to a large extent when they played the final release of Uncharted 2. That game raised the bar so high, that I find it hard to think of any similar game in production at the time that was not made to look like a little silly. Raven's third-person Bond game (strongly rumoured; occasionally leaked) went very, very quiet. Not a peep about Tomb Raider for a year or more, either. That huge rushing sound you could hear just after release was the sound of many developers sprinting back to the drawing board.

I like COD quite a bit (especially for multiplayer), and an Uncharted-esque version would appeal, but a successful game in this genre isn't just about putting the camera somewhere else. I'm not sure any of those Acti developers have a great record at crafting an exciting and affecting story, peopled by compelling characters. Most of the characters in the COD games are as three-dimensional as roadkill. They get away with this because the only FPSes that aren't like that are made by Valve, and most FPSes are a lot worse.

Not saying they couldn't do it, of course, as there are obviously plenty of talented people working there. It just hasn't been their focus - but for any game going up against Uncharted, it's really going to have to be.

Message 10 of 10 (55 Views)
0 Likes