Splicer
86 posts

Re: Hey Naughty Dog ever heard of New Coke? I'm guessing not.

Mar 3, 2010

Dayummm! Arne knows you guys dont like 1.05! leave him alone!

Sig provided by myu2sig.com !
Message 70 of 77 (1,163 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3247 posts

Mar 4, 2010

jeremyrocksursox wrote:

Dayummm! Arne knows you guys dont like 1.05! leave him alone!

lol LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!!

Message 71 of 77 (1,163 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
360 posts

Mar 4, 2010

arne wrote:

Curtins4u wrote:

Here's the wiki since you guys really need to learn a lesson from that whole fiasco. But if you don't feel like reading, I'll sum it up for you and relate.

Coke, one of the most successful drinks of all time and especially during the 1980's was having great success (similar to Uncharted 2, winning pretty much every Game of the Year award possible for making one of the best games of all time).

Since some people didn't like Coke, the boys at Coke got greedy and decided they would completely change the formula that made Coke so successful in order to win over new customers, disregarding how their current customers felt about the product. Once again, just like Uncharted 2 and the good ol' boys (and girls) at Naughty Dog completely overhauling the masterpiece of a game they had been rewarded so much for.

Long story short, Coke realized what a mistake they had made once people were furious that the company had ruined their beloved beverage and quickly switched back to the old formula that brought them success.

The moral of the story: If it aint broke, don't fix it. Switch things back Naughty Dog, or at least some sort of compromise like a Hardcore mode. I die quicker in Uncharted than MAG and that's a modern warfare style game! Why copy idea's in a game you beat out for Game of the Year? Did you miss the hint that people want something that's unique and different and love your game for what you've accomplished?

(edit) Forgot to mention: The new maps are great, and I'm glad that you've added them to keep the game fresh. It's just a shame I can't enjoy them like I would have been able to before all the drastic health changes.

Message Edited by Curtins4u on 02-26-2010 01:50 AM

I think you missed something in the wiki you linked to -- there is a big difference between the two stories you want to tie together though. New Coke was introduced by Coca-Cola company not because they were successful (especially in the 1980s) but because they had lost significant market share to Pepsi and other drinks. I think they lost about half their market share from when they were most successful up to that point (they had over 50% of the market at one time). They felt consumers tastes were changing because Pepsi had eroded their market share so much and their product was losing customers with no success in stemming the tide. After research they felt the only way they could compete was to change their product to be more like Pepsi, to win market share back. And that's were New Coke came in. Ironically, they actually gained market share back form Pepsi after reverting the forumla back to the old taste -- I think their bad press gave them more attention than all the $$ they spent to market the new flavor.

But they made the changes because they were in bad shape and were desperate. We're not in bad shape, nor are we desperate.

(and yes, I'm not ignoring what you said -- you don't like 1.05. I hear you.)

thanks for the reply, but i have to say it...

"They felt consumers tastes were changing because Pepsi had eroded their market share so much and their product was losing customers with no success in stemming the tide."

aka "Naughty Dog felt consumers tastes were changing because Modern Warfare 2 had eroded the Uncharted 2 market share so much and their product was losing online players with no success in stemming the tide."

I'm sure you guys are not in bad shape, nor are you desperate, however it does seem like you guys are trying to make your game into something it's not in order to please all of the modern warfare gamer's needs and wants while the people who have always loved the game for what it was are getting the shaft after they've invested months into the game.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Curtins4u
Message 72 of 77 (1,163 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
360 posts

Mar 9, 2010

updated with 1.06 thoughts

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Curtins4u
Message 73 of 77 (1,163 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3247 posts

Mar 9, 2010

Curtins4u wrote:

updated with 1.06 thoughts

Agreed with your 1.06 assessment although grenades and sniper aren't a big deal to me. 1.04 UC2 really was Uncharted at it's best though in terms of balancing. 

Message 74 of 77 (1,163 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5678 posts

Mar 10, 2010

agreed on 1.06 impression.

1.04 is the best

Message 75 of 77 (1,163 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
271 posts

Mar 10, 2010

I was originally a supporter of 1.05, but the more I play, the more I miss the old Uncharted online.  I guess it's really true:  you don't realize what you have until it's gone.

Message 76 of 77 (1,163 Views)