Jun 16 2009
By: Mainframe52 Splicer 79 posts

Finally got around to playing Uncharted.... and it was AWESOME!

16 replies 5 views Edited Jun 16, 2009

So I just got my PS3 about 3 months ago and spent most of that time playing the more recent AAA titles, like KZ2, LBP, InFamous and MGS4. Taking a break from those, I went to the video store the other night and decided to rent Uncharted, because I had heard some good things about it.

All I can say is WOW. I know it got it's fair share of critical acclaim but, for a game as good as this, I don't think it got the hype it deserved. Then again, I didn't own a PS3 when it came out so maybe it was big back then and I just didn't notice. Either way, the game is awesome.

The graphics blew my mind (swaying plants and great lighting effects in lush jungle settings, completely realistic character animation and facial expressions, great little details like Drake's clothing getting wet), the voice acting was perfect (best I think I've ever heard in a game, but remind me if there are some other great examples of voice acting), and the storyline was right out of a summer blockbuster Indiana Jones/National Tresure type action movie (which can be good or bad depending on taste, but I thought it fit the game perfectly and worked out great.)

There were a few flaws I found while playing. Mainly, the game's extremely short length (took only two 4-hour sessions to beat) and the fact that sometimes it can be very frustrating (continuous waves of enemies).

Overall, however, it immediately jumped into my top tier of PS3 games alongside MGS4, KZ2, LBP, etc. and all those games came out at least a year later than Uncharted.

Uncharted 2 is now my easily my most anticipated game of the year (although after seeing the E3 demo, it was pretty high up there even before playing the original). With the addition of multiplayer (the beta is fun as ****!) and hopefully a longer single player campaign, I think Uncharted 2 could become my favorite next gen game.

Sorry for the lovefest, but I just couldn't believe how good it was. Maybe it was the fact that I wasn't expecting so much from it, like I was when I played Killzone 2 and MGS4. Don't get me wrong, those are still unbelievable games, they just didn't catch me by surprise like Uncharted did.

Message 1 of 17 (5 Views)
Fender Bender
3623 posts

Re: Finally got around to playing Uncharted.... and it was AWESOME!

Jun 16, 2009
Dont apologize its awesome you finally got around to playing the game. This is definitely one of my favorite games on the system and Uncharted 2 is going to be awesome.

Message 2 of 17 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Jun 16, 2009

Yeah Uncharted was really good, my favourite game so far for the PS3. I hope the whole package for UC2 will be brilliant like graphics, single mode, online etc

VamosRafaPatsLFC's Gamer card
Message 3 of 17 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3971 posts

Jun 16, 2009

Mainframe52 wrote:

So I just got my PS3 about 3 months ago and spent most of that time playing the more recent AAA titles, like KZ2, LBP, InFamous and MGS4. Taking a break from those, I went to the video store the other night and decided to rent Uncharted, because I had heard some good things about it.

All I can say is WOW. I know it got it's fair share of critical acclaim but, for a game as good as this, I don't think it got the hype it deserved. Then again, I didn't own a PS3 when it came out so maybe it was big back then and I just didn't notice. Either way, the game is awesome.

The graphics blew my mind (swaying plants and great lighting effects in lush jungle settings, completely realistic character animation and facial expressions, great little details like Drake's clothing getting wet), the voice acting was perfect (best I think I've ever heard in a game, but remind me if there are some other great examples of voice acting), and the storyline was right out of a summer blockbuster Indiana Jones/National Tresure type action movie (which can be good or bad depending on taste, but I thought it fit the game perfectly and worked out great.)

There were a few flaws I found while playing. Mainly, the game's extremely short length (took only two 4-hour sessions to beat) and the fact that sometimes it can be very frustrating (continuous waves of enemies).

Overall, however, it immediately jumped into my top tier of PS3 games alongside MGS4, KZ2, LBP, etc. and all those games came out at least a year later than Uncharted.

Uncharted 2 is now my easily my most anticipated game of the year (although after seeing the E3 demo, it was pretty high up there even before playing the original). With the addition of multiplayer (the beta is fun as ****!) and hopefully a longer single player campaign, I think Uncharted 2 could become my favorite next gen game.

Sorry for the lovefest, but I just couldn't believe how good it was. Maybe it was the fact that I wasn't expecting so much from it, like I was when I played Killzone 2 and MGS4. Don't get me wrong, those are still unbelievable games, they just didn't catch me by surprise like Uncharted did.

Glad you played the game, I thought the EXACT same thing when I played it. We're all waiting for the second one to come out!
Photobucket
Message 4 of 17 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
420 posts

Jun 16, 2009
I'm buying it when the Uncharted 2 beta ends.
Message 5 of 17 (5 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1390 posts

Jun 17, 2009

Highlight-SPOILER WARNING: So how did you feel about the Spaniard/Nazi zombies? They totally blew my expectations! I was in shock for a while thinking to myself "Am I really shooting zombies right now?"

Haha! Great game...great game! Glad you enjoyed!

Will screaming at the television affect my team's chance of winning?
Message 6 of 17 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
255 posts

Jun 17, 2009

I'm glad you liked it.  Uncharted is such an underappreciated game.  Whenever I'm on other sites and someone brings up great games for the PS3, I rarely see Uncharted's name mentioned.  Hopefully the 2nd Uncharted will change the way people look at the series.

Message Edited by Acaluori on 06-16-2009 06:23 PM
Message 7 of 17 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2466 posts

Jun 17, 2009
I have had my PS3 for about a year and a half, but haven't played the whole game other than the demo. I just recently played the demo once more and I was upset at myself for not appreciating the greatness of this game before. As soon as get my next paycheck Ima pick this game up as well as reserving Uncharted 2 as well.
Cold as dark
Now my words, are frosted with every breath
Still the hate burns wild, growing inside this heart
When the wind changes course when the star align
I will reach out to you and leave this all behind
When Heavens Divide
Message 8 of 17 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
79 posts

Jun 18, 2009

free2play27 wrote:

Highlight-SPOILER WARNING: So how did you feel about the Spaniard/Nazi zombies? They totally blew my expectations! I was in shock for a while thinking to myself "Am I really shooting zombies right now?"

Haha! Great game...great game! Glad you enjoyed!

Talk about unexpected!! Loved that part though. Great way to thrown some variety into the gameplay.

Message 9 of 17 (5 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 19, 2009

Uncharted was a phinominal game. I cant wait for the second one to be released. When I was watching E3 and saw the demo, the graphics were flawless and the gameplay was smooth as a babies bottom.  I can't wait for the second one!! [: I hope it's just as good as the first.

Message 10 of 17 (5 Views)
0 Likes