Gaming Beast
1300 posts

Re: Excessive use of RPG's/Hammer..skilled or cowards?

Mar 13, 2010

Wade_VC wrote:

First and foremost, let me state by saying I am not the best at this game, and get creamed most of the time, but I enjoy it just the same.

That being said, I am noticing a BIG trend among those with very high ranks online with this game, which is, 90% of the time these so called "skilled" players use either RPG's or the Hammer exclusively. To me, that is NOT skill or experience of any sort, but more of a cowards way of fighting when ALL they can use are overpowered weapons such as these. I have more respect for a new player that takes me out with a well-placed bullet or a stealth attack than I do some self-proclaimed "skilled" player using a RPG or Hammer consistantly.

Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, what are your thoughts.

I've noticed this a lot. I think it's rather silly to camp around and depend on certain weapons to get you kills, especially if they're power-weapons. I've played matches where you see the same guy go to the same place for the same weapon and knows exactly when it spawns and the whole process repeats. It makes me wonder if some of them can even aim the AK-47 or handgun. But I suppose it all narrows down to the fact that there's not much skill going into shooting at a target with a nade launcher or RPG, because it's practically a gauranteed kill. With the Hammer, shoot him once, he falls down, you shoot him again. RPG, you can just aim at his feet or around him and he'd still be dead.

With that said, I'm not anti-power weapons. Of course we can use whatever gun we want, so whatever. If I happen to run by an RPG, shotty or grenade launcher, most of the time I'll pick it up and use it. But seeing these people horde a weapon the whole game is just silly.

Message 21 of 44 (135 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
360 posts

Mar 13, 2010

the skill isn't shown by using the power weapons, but controlling them...

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Curtins4u
Message 22 of 44 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3207 posts

Mar 13, 2010

If i find them i'll use them. They're not my perfered guns of choice. But on a side note i find it funny when your on your own and the next thing you see is a rocket coming your way. I think thats the funniest thing in this game when you see it you coming it's too late.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Youtube: akirasolidentertainment
Message 23 of 44 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Mar 13, 2010

I'll grab a Launcher if it's closest to me and I'm completely out of ammo, but if I still have a clip in my AK or even in my pistol, I'll pass it up until I can find more ammo for the guns that I already have.

I hardly see anything skillful about grabbing an RPG or a Launcher and firing at a specific spot, considering that the explosion alone is enough to take out an entire squad. In my opinion, if someone can't kill me face to face with a standard powered weapon, then they're a coward. Sneak attacks are fine, those are to be expected, but excessive use of the RPG and launcher is simply the easy way to get a kill, it takes little to no skill.

Those who say that it does, ponder on this for a moment: The first time that I ever used an RPG in a multiplayer match, I killed three people with one shot, another two with the second round and all I did was point and shoot. That's a lot of skill.

Granted, different tactics and such are expected, but I hardly consider it a different tactic when everyone on the other team runs for the RPG or Launcher, when they do this, I just imagine the Benny Hill theme to go with it. Think about this--

At least 92% of the people that I've encountered who excessively use an RPG or a launcher, they have died by my gun every time that they tried to face me face to face with a gun of their own, the only way that they killed me was with an RPG or a kill from behind.

In U2, a lot of different things are to be expected, however I simply expected less cowards and more players who aren't afraid to earn their kills the hard way.

But, oh well. Despite those who run around with the RPG and the launcher like idiots, it's fun and you simply can't beat fun.

Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Message 24 of 44 (135 Views)
Sackboy
573 posts

Mar 13, 2010

It isn't like they are complete scum bags if they use them, but if all they can do is pick up the power weapon every time possible, then yes, it is quite cowardly and without skill. But if they know how to control the grenades launched at you, then it is a use of proper skill

For example, I'm hiding behind cover on the Sout West tower in The Sancutary with a sniper rifle, picking off people below me. Some one notices, and use the hammer's recoil damage+pistol=to kill me. That is a decent kil, without question. Or launching it into a goup, then spray with a AK to finish them off.

But, if there is excessive spamming and respawning weapon pickup, I do find it silly.

Luckily, I am quite the dodger, although I might not get as many kills, I come back with 0 deaths by ROLLING ROLLING ROLLING. >_>.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Nefurnest
Message 25 of 44 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
82 posts

Mar 13, 2010

If there so skillless, your uber skills should shine through and kill them everytime, no problem then.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Nya_Nya_Dance
Message 26 of 44 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
912 posts

Mar 13, 2010

the word is nooby. and also if i come across a shotgun i never even pick it up. its also pretty funny when you see a shotgunner running at you from like 20 ft away and you just shoot them in the face

rush_27
Message 27 of 44 (135 Views)
Sackboy
629 posts

Mar 13, 2010

Nya_Nya_Dance wrote:

If there so skillless, your uber skills should shine through and kill them everytime, no problem then.

So to translate the above:

"Yes, the ONLY way I can get kills is by using the over-powered weapons."

A person with "Uber Skills", as you so eloquenty put it, doesn't need to resort to the overpowered weapons. Believe me, I have had the pleasure of being dusted by some GREAT players using only standard weapons or stealh, so to them, I take my hat off. As with ANY multiplayer game, those who actually have skill and have taken the time to become proficient and skillful, it is you who who keeps me coming back and makes me want to improve.

The cowards....you show me absolutely nothing.

Message 28 of 44 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6586 posts

Mar 13, 2010

I haz oober skills. Any1 with da shootgun or PRG, I'll take em onn and win!!!1111111 I'm aazat good, I can hit ma homies in da legs and theyll fall overr deaded be4 they get 2 shoot me. I'm da beest! Go me! 

Message 29 of 44 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5921 posts

Mar 13, 2010

Wade_VC wrote:

First and foremost, let me state by saying I am not the best at this game, and get creamed most of the time, but I enjoy it just the same.

That being said, I am noticing a BIG trend among those with very high ranks online with this game, which is, 90% of the time these so called "skilled" players use either RPG's or the Hammer exclusively. To me, that is NOT skill or experience of any sort, but more of a cowards way of fighting when ALL they can use are overpowered weapons such as these. I have more respect for a new player that takes me out with a well-placed bullet or a stealth attack than I do some self-proclaimed "skilled" player using a RPG or Hammer consistantly.

Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, what are your thoughts.

The respawn time of the RPGs and Hammers are geared so they cannot be used excessively. A typical deathmatch lasts about 8-10 minutes and a power weapon takes 3 minutes to respawn after getting picked up. Unless the guy using the power weapons has Launch Man or Rocket Man and gets the power weapons every time they spawn, he won't be able to exclusively use these all match.

Message 30 of 44 (135 Views)
0 Likes