Highlighted
Dec 03 2009
By: CaptainGillette Survivor 2740 posts

Comments on Tenzin / Nepal from a 'real life Tibetan'

19 replies 157 views Edited Dec 3, 2009
The following text came from a native speaker going by the handle "uRmeyda" on the GameFaqs forum.  I thought it was worth reposting here.

(*** Spoilers ***)

Being a Nepali I just want to take a post to explain a few things in the game. Frankly I was astounded by how authentic this game is.

1. It really, really looks like Nepal. Although they never mention the name of the city, one can draw the conclusion that it is Kathmandu. One thing you should know is that buildings in Nepal are all made of brick, just as in the game. Very little wood is used in buildings, and never as siding. I was shocked when I first came to the USA and saw wooden buildings.
  2. Propane tanks everywhere? Yes, we actually do have propane tanks everywhere; all over the streets, in houses… everywhere. We use gas to cook, and although it may seem like a very convenient video game ploy to get explosions, that is actually very authentic. Most houses have at least two tanks.  They are bigger than the ones shown in the game, but hey.
  3. Shangri La hotel: yes, it is a real hotel in Kathmandu. However I should mention that the tallest Nepali buildings are like 7 stories high - not quite what you see in the game.
  4. Because I am a Sherpa I speak tibetan, and that is the language spoken by Tenzin and the villagers. Not Nepali. It was so much fun hearing people speak tibetan because I hadnt heard it in so long. Tenzin even calls Drake a "useless idiot" at one point, which had my sides splitting.
  5. Street signs: all real, authentic sanskrit script advertising food, bars, etc.

Now a few negative points:

1. Train? Nope sorry. Only one train in Nepal and it does not go through the mountains or anything like what is shown in the game.
  2. Nepalis? Despite taking place in Nepal where are all the Nepalis? The city is empty except for mercs?
  3. Hindu relics in Buddhist temples? Hindu symbols and Hindu Gods carved into the walls of Buddhist temples? Of course harldy anyone will notice and no one will care, but this is an error.

Translated Scenes:

Introduction:

Drake: How did I get here?

Tenzin: Pema, give him some space, go to Schafer's, he's our friend. (referring to Drake not Schafer)

Tenzin: Slowly, don't hurry.

Tenzin: You are very lucky.

Drake: How long have I been out?

Tenzin: Take it drink, drink.

Drake: Thanks.

Tenzin: Drink this, drink this.

Drake: No, no that's plenty.

Tenzin: Your friend has been waiting, can you get up?

Drake: I'm sorry I don't understand.

Tenzin: Get up. Get up.

Drake: Thanks.

Tenzin: Are you feeling ok?

Tenzin: Take this, come Schafer has been waiting for you. (hands Drake a coat and hat)

Tenzin: He's been waiting to talk to you.

Drake: Where the hell am I?

Tenzin: Come. Come with me.

Ice Caves:

As Tenzin approaches the rope he says "This will be useful. We will use this to go there." (across the chasm)

As he waits on the other side he says: "Come. No need to be scared."

As he approaches the ladder he says: "And come from here."

Before squeezing through the crack Tenzin says: "Oh we have to go through here... it looks hard."

In the meantime he says things like "We need to find our friend's camp." and "Come."

After finding the body he says: "He must be Schafer's man. Look at this."

As the ground collapses: "Let's run!"

As he catches his breath on the other side: "We got into trouble."

When Drake offers to boost Tenzin up: "I don't need. In fact, I will give you a boost. Yes, I will."

When he catches Drake: "Nothing happened. I am here."

After hearing the monster's growl Drake asks "what was that?" and Tenzin replies: "I don't know. It's scary."

Upon finding the dead wolves: "I don't know. The way the animal is killed… it's deadly. It's not good. What is that? (noise) That's not good. This place might have a ghost."

When the monster attacks: "Help me!"

After defeating the monster: "I told you. There was a weird ghost."

After getting a boost and before dropping the box down: "Watch out!"

Then when they get seperated: "Ok, I will go from here."

When Drakes yells to pull the lever: "Ok"

When he catches Drake again: "I've got you... come up."

While the floors drop behind them: "Fast! Faster! Run fast!"

Upon finding the rest of Schafer's crew: "Come here. Look at this. What's this? I didn't understand you."

When Drake explains about the Nazis: "I don't like them."

When Drake tells him Schafer killed them: "What? No, no."

The very brief conversation at the end of the game between Drake and Tenzin:

Tenzin is saying a prayer "om mani padme hum", which is the same prayer that is written across the giant prayer wheels that you have to spin and put in correct order several times during the game. You will notice Tenzin is also spinning a small prayer wheel.  Tenzin says "Schafer would have loved you." but I think it is more to the effect of "Schafer would be proud of you."  Drake replies "Thank you" In Tibetan.

Message 1 of 20 (157 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1770 posts

Re: Comments on Tenzin / Nepal from a 'real life Tibetan'

Dec 3, 2009
Hmmmm very interesting. Good find.
Message 2 of 20 (157 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Dec 3, 2009
Thanks for all this info! This further reinforces the remarkable production quality and authenticity that I have recognized throughout. Usually I'm a total curmudgeon when plot points, sets, or characters come off as forced or inaccurate, but I never had a problem while playing U2. I just ate it up! It's great to hear all of Tenzin's commentary really adds to the story. I will say I think the older you are the more you appreciate this game and it's exceptionally high quality - I remember playing King's Quest and Hero's Quest on my Tandy back in the day and U2 really is a game unlike any other. I don't think the younger generations get how far games have come. 
Message 3 of 20 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Dec 3, 2009
haha thats funny stuff.. drake doesnt understand him nor do we, he doesnt understand drake... the details in this game are just out of this world...  the comments ingame are nice touch , make feel like an actual world.  there are pictures and rugs, silverware, signs, and trash.. the world is alive. this is no wonder i have not put this game down.  since i got it.  thanks for this post i was always curious about the banter between them.
Sig provided by myu2sig.com !
Message 4 of 20 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2740 posts

Dec 3, 2009

Texan1978 wrote:
Thanks for all this info! This further reinforces the remarkable production quality and authenticity that I have recognized throughout. Usually I'm a total curmudgeon when plot points, sets, or characters come off as forced or inaccurate, but I never had a problem while playing U2. I just ate it up! It's great to hear all of Tenzin's commentary really adds to the story. I will say I think the older you are the more you appreciate this game and it's exceptionally high quality - I remember playing King's Quest and Hero's Quest on my Tandy back in the day and U2 really is a game unlike any other. I don't think the younger generations get how far games have come. 

Yeah, when I look at UC2 compared to the games I played as a kid like Intellivision Baseball or even the Infocom DOS games, it's really mindblowing what can change in 30 years.  Not to get all existential, but I think this is why I fear death... I think of all of the cool things that'll be invented after I'm too old or dead to experience them and it makes me downright angry at the unfairness of life.

Message 5 of 20 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
699 posts

Dec 3, 2009

NICE

its like when i played RE4 and the village people speak spanish 

they actually go ''right behind you mother******'' in spanish and i understood and turned around bam

ANYWAYS cool

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Steven1379
Message 6 of 20 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
749 posts

Dec 3, 2009
That's awesome! Thanks for the translations and all the info!
Message 7 of 20 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1573 posts

Dec 3, 2009
I really wish we could have been closer with Schafer. I didn't feel much sorrow when he died, and it would have been better if we did. I'm saying this because it would have been just deeply saddening when Tenzin says; "Schafer would love you". If we could have talked to Schafer more, possibly learned about his past, the end would seem more satisfying. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 20 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3091 posts

Dec 3, 2009
Great find. Now I want to figure what Tenzin says during multiplayer.
Message 9 of 20 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
837 posts

Dec 3, 2009

I don't see how those are negative points exactly, they're used to make the plot line advance.

Anyways, its nice to know what Tenzin is finally saying, nice job. 

Edit: I used to watch a lot of history shows, and many times, explorers found Hindu relics in Buddhist locations, and vice versa.

Message Edited by Daniel1415 on 12-03-2009 06:03 PM
Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Daniel1415
Message 10 of 20 (157 Views)
0 Likes