Highlighted
Nov 13 2009
By: GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS Sackboy 510 posts

14,000 online vs 300,000+ online (U2+MW2)

78 replies 63 views Edited Nov 13, 2009

The most Ive seen online in Uncharted 2 was 14,000 and that was on the first day it came out. I also saw tons of people playing the single-player so I figured it would get bigger as people finished the campaign. Nope. It never did. It leveled off around 12,000+ during peak hours and goes as low as 7,000 during late night hours.

MW2 had over 300,000 players online the first day. It's been out a couple days and it's still consistently at over 300,000 players online.

Now Uncharted 2 has sold about 1/3 of what MW2 sold on Ps3. I know I know MW2 is primarily a mutliplayer game and Uncharted is known for it's single player. But let's be honest, the multiplayer in U2 is awesome as well. You'd think it would atleast have 1/10th the amount of players that MW2 has online, but it doesnt even have close to that. Why is there such a huge difference in the amount of people playing online in the two games? 

My thoughts...and suggestions for getting more people in the multiplayer for Uncharted 3

1. The Beta/Demo burnt out alot of people on Uncharted2's mp. When the final game released with only 3 new maps that werent on the demo, people quickly got tired of it. Uncharted 3 must must must have more than just 7 maps for the multiplayer to be taken more seriously. I know 7 is a decent number, but considering 4 of those were in a demo... it got old quick.

2. The MENU's. This is huge! The first thing I noticed in MW2 is that there's 3 huge pictures for each section of the game, Special Ops, Campaign, and Multiplayer. Each with their own dedicated section. In Uncharted 2 the multiplayer is just text... no different than the Options button. It doesnt stand out and grab you're attention at all. I'm sure theres a lot of casual fans who bought the game, finished the campaign, and simply passed over the multiplayer without even trying it. 

3. Advertising. No mention of the newly added MP in Uncharted 2 commercials. No print on the cover art. Nothing.

4. Some people tried the Mp in U2 and simply did not like it. Things that turned casual players off: Getting shot after youre in cover and trading melee hits (lag compensation)... "Takes too many shots to kill someone" <-- in reality its just there aim and the default bullet spread. Solution? Make Down The Irons default so that noobs have an easier time hitting a target.

5. Make more trophies in th multiplayer. That'll be a way to get those trophy **bleep**s to play the multiplayer.

Please share your thoughts. Instead of critisizing my post (like Im sure some of you will), add your own suggestions on how to get more people playing the MP in the next installment. I'm sure Naughty Dog would like to see what people are saying. 

Message Edited by GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS on 11-13-2009 04:27 AM
Message 1 of 79 (63 Views)
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Re: 14,000 online vs 300,000+ online (U2+MW2)

Nov 13, 2009
Excellent thoughts.  When I played and fell in love with Uncharted 1, I was only looking forward to a single player in part 2.  In finding there was a Multiplayer after I finished the game in single player I feel like it is the best treasure in the world.  I feel Uncharted has now set themselves up for a huge multiplayer coming in the future.  And believe me, for a game that is drawing a consistent 7K+ with no advertising for MP, the buildup for the 3rd release will be bigger and better than ever.  We have the multiplayer gaming industry right where we want them.  They threw us a bone, a mighty tasty one, and now we want more, we're all ready for it, and things are perfect for the transition.

Message 2 of 79 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
510 posts

Nov 13, 2009

@LovinUncharted2, you say 7,000 as if that's a number to be proud of. That's a terribly small amount of people online for a new game that 1.5 million people bought. 

Message Edited by GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS on 11-13-2009 04:41 AM
Message 3 of 79 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3260 posts

Nov 13, 2009

Why is there a perception that one can't enjoy U:AT if it's not as (user) strong as another game?  I just started playing online (and may not know the intricacies) but the games match quickly.

My warhorse is Gran Turismo.  If you don't timetable match a race with others, you can wait 2 mins or more to run.  Short of quick matching, what importance does the number of users hold?

Message 4 of 79 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Nov 13, 2009

There may be only 7000 people online un Uncharted, but I have never had an issue finding a game. Compare this with MW2, which is basically broken. When I do get online though it is a lot of fun. 

I would be worried if the numbers continued to get lower as the multiplayer is fantastic.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Gilki82
Message 5 of 79 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
860 posts

Nov 13, 2009
there is way more players! than 300,000 in mw2.
PhotobucketImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Message 6 of 79 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Nov 13, 2009

LovinUncharted2 wrote:
Excellent thoughts.  When I played and fell in love with Uncharted 1, I was only looking forward to a single player in part 2.  In finding there was a Multiplayer after I finished the game in single player I feel like it is the best treasure in the world.  I feel Uncharted has now set themselves up for a huge multiplayer coming in the future.  And believe me, for a game that is drawing a consistent 7K+ with no advertising for MP, the buildup for the 3rd release will be bigger and better than ever.  We have the multiplayer gaming industry right where we want them.  They threw us a bone, a mighty tasty one, and now we want more, we're all ready for it, and things are perfect for the transition.

I agree with the firsttwo posts, but we do have to consider that the Call Of Duty Series has been around quite longer, and is more popular than the Uncharted series.  And for some reason, it doesn't appeal to some people.  I mean, I really like both games, but my friend just thinks that Uncharted looks and reminds him of a kids game.  This is probably because Uncharted pulls allot from the Jak series, but I think you get my point.  The not hardcore shooting doesn't appeal to some people

Message 7 of 79 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Nov 13, 2009
Personally, the biggest problem with the U2 MP is that matchmaking takes so long. Sometimes I've set up a team with a couple of friends (which in itself has sometimes taken far too long, but that's our own - and the reality's - fault), only to get to watch a bunch of "Finding player..." slots for 10+ minutes. Yes, we have jumped back and started over, but sometimes that hasn't helped either. We have sometimes switched from elimination to ranked and regular deathmatch games just so we can find someone to play with.

I know the main reason for this is the lack of players, but it's probably also one of the reasons some players are switching to other MP games. So, in a sense, it's a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy here...

On a more positive note, I've been really glad to see a lot of new players (rank below 10) during the last 10 days or so. I only hope they enjoy the game and all the annoying "Oh noes! There's a n00b!" l33t players treat them respectfully enough for them not to quit playing. I'd rather not switch to MW2 (yet).
Message 8 of 79 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Nov 13, 2009
Well in this game, rank means less.  I'm level 15 and took down a team of three 20's and two 30's with a less than supportive team, and we won.
Message 9 of 79 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
465 posts

Nov 13, 2009

MR-HURRIKANE wrote:
Well in this game, rank means less.  I'm level 15 and took down a team of three 20's and two 30's with a less than supportive team, and we won.

Very true.  I've been able hold my own against higher ranks and also gotten my teeth kicked in by lower ranks. 

As for seeing some newer lower ranked players - I noticed that too last night, which is great to see more people joining. 

-------

http://mygamepages.com forums and member created pages
Message 10 of 79 (63 Views)
0 Likes