Feb 09 2011
By: Kaswa101 I Only Post Everything 1337 posts

Uncharted Movie: New Info from O. Russell

13 replies 19 views Edited Feb 9, 2011

http://movies.ign.com/articles/114/1148368p1.html

This looks *bleep* terrible! Again with the family dynamic?! The Soprano's?! He and his son played the game?! What is the world coming to?!

Well, this is the end of me...

Message 1 of 14 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

LP, I was gonna do a play by play, but yours was so good,...

Feb 9, 2011

LP, I was gonna do a play by play, but yours was so good, mine would just be redundant.  Well done!  :smileyhappy:

Where the **** does he get the idea that the game is centered around a family?!  Does he think Sully is Drake's dad?  I seriously don't understand!!!  How can this guy be so full of hot air that he just thinks that everything about the game's story is unimportant and that he knows what the best thing to do is? 

I think we can all agree that while he might employ similar costume design (although somehow I doubt even THAT would make it now), this movie will in no way, shape or form resemble the game.  It may be a good movie.  David O Russell knows how to make movies, that much he's proven.  It won't however, be a movie for fans of Uncharted. 

We need to look at it as a movie which cooincidentally shares the title and main character name from our favorite game, and leave it at that.

Ok I need to go scream into a pillow now...

Message 2 of 14 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6018 posts

Ryan; thanks. :) When I read it honestly thought it was a...

Feb 9, 2011
Ryan; thanks. :smileyhappy: When I read it honestly thought it was a joke. No part of what he says links to Uncharted in anyway. So I got the inspiration.

And also, I agree; he can make movies. If he wants to make one about a antiques mafia then good for him, but why is he using the Uncharted name? All he is doing is alienating the existing fans, and he'll have to work reasonably hard to get new fans.

I am ctually now, in a sick way looking forward to it. It's like seeing blue lights in the distance; you know there has been a horrific traffic accident and you want to see just how bad it is.
Displaced NDF individual Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 14 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Definitely.  For me it's like I'm Brad Pitt in the movie...

Feb 9, 2011

LadyPatience wrote:
Ryan; thanks. :smileyhappy: When I read it honestly thought it was a joke. No part of what he says links to Uncharted in anyway. So I got the inspiration.

And also, I agree; he can make movies. If he wants to make one about a antiques mafia then good for him, but why is he using the Uncharted name? All he is doing is alienating the existing fans, and he'll have to work reasonably hard to get new fans.

I am ctually now, in a sick way looking forward to it. It's like seeing blue lights in the distance; you know there has been a horrific traffic accident and you want to see just how bad it is.

Definitely.  For me it's like I'm Brad Pitt in the movie Seven.  I'm all like, "What's in the box, oh god, WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!"

I know it's horrible, but I just have to know!  :smileymad:

Message 4 of 14 (19 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1387 posts

Subject

Feb 9, 2011

I didn't even bother reading it. Nice translation of the interview, LadyPatience. :smileyhappy:

I'm not asking for a Drake's Fortune or Among Thieves movie. I'm asking for an Uncharted movie.

I want to be able to say, finally, a movie adaptation that is on-par with the games. I want the characters to be the characters that I grew fond of in the games, not some watered-down version. I want the wit and humor of the games to be in the movie. I want the writing to be just as good as the games. I don't want to explain to someone that I like the games, NOT the movie. I don't want actors playing characters they have no business playing. I don't want characters that don't exist in the games to be in the movie. If ND didn't put them in the games, I don't want them in the movie.

I've seen a lot of people say that this movie needs "star power" in order to be sucessful. No, it doesn't. Slumdog Millionaire says hi.

I know I may be a little selfish in my wants but I'm tired of Hollywood making horrible movie adaptations of games. I know, I know, the movie isn't even out, there's no script, rumor/speculation, blah, blah, blah. But, really, how many movie adaptations have actually been good? 

/rant

Message 5 of 14 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

GOOD POINT!!  :smileyvery-happy: See I actually think th...

Feb 10, 2011

dr_f1ngers wrote:

I didn't even bother reading it. Nice translation of the interview, LadyPatience. :smileyhappy:

I'm not asking for a Drake's Fortune or Among Thieves movie. I'm asking for an Uncharted movie.

I want to be able to say, finally, a movie adaptation that is on-par with the games. I want the characters to be the characters that I grew fond of in the games, not some watered-down version. I want the wit and humor of the games to be in the movie. I want the writing to be just as good as the games. I don't want to explain to someone that I like the games, NOT the movie. I don't want actors playing characters they have no business playing. I don't want characters that don't exist in the games to be in the movie. If ND didn't put them in the games, I don't want them in the movie.

I've seen a lot of people say that this movie needs "star power" in order to be sucessful. No, it doesn't. Slumdog Millionaire says hi.

I know I may be a little selfish in my wants but I'm tired of Hollywood making horrible movie adaptations of games. I know, I know, the movie isn't even out, there's no script, rumor/speculation, blah, blah, blah. But, really, how many movie adaptations have actually been good? 

/rant

GOOD POINT!!  :smileyvery-happy:

See I actually think there have been games based on movies that have been faithful enough to the games while still being good movies.  For example, I thought Resident Evil 1 and 2 were very entertaining movies that still captured the spirit of the game without adhering completely to the game's story.  Yeah, it pissed off some hard core fans, but to people like me who thought the games were... eh... pretty good, I enjoyed the movies immensely!  Then they kept making more sequels...and... yeah I'll just leave it at that. 

The problem with Russell's "vision" for these movies is that he's trying to take uncharted, and change it into what he wants it to be.  Completely disregarding what the games are actually about.  They're not about a crime family that keeps museum curators in check with their "sense of justice".  It's just blatant disregard for what the game actually is.  I haven't seen anything this bad since the Doom movie didn't include anything about hell...

Message 6 of 14 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-10-uncharted-movie-has-sopranos-like-family

Feb 10, 2011

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-10-uncharted-movie-has-sopranos-like-family

what is this **bleep** i just dont understand what the **bleep** he is going on about

Please Naughtydog please help us understand this drivel, yes the fighter is a fantastic movie and bale and wharlberg what AAA in it, that gives them no right to **bleep** this franshise

And ryan sorry, i stopped reading at "resident evil 1 and 2 were decent" no they was **bleep**, please go read the original script (on the internet by the daddy of zombies himself Romero)

Message 7 of 14 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

For God's sake, someone please make him stop!!!   What's...

Feb 10, 2011

For God's sake, someone please make him stop!!!

What's wrong with him and his stupid "Uncharted is about family" crap?

I'm sure he's never played the game. He must have watched it being played for 5 minutes, heard Sully call Nate "kid" and assumed that Sully was Nate's father.

Seriously, every time I hear about this movie, a part of me dies.

Will someone ever have the balls to tell him that his view is complete bull**bleep** and that he's a moron if he continues like this?

Message 8 of 14 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6018 posts

I didn't understand David O Russell, so I had to put him...

Feb 10, 2011

I didn't understand David O Russell, so I had to put him through the Google Translator;

David O Russell  wrote:
IGN: We were exited to hear you were working on the Uncharted movie...

David O. Russell:
Oh yes, I'm very excited about that. It's hard to keep writing in the middle of an Oscar campaign, but I'm almost done with that script, and that's going to be really fantastic.

I think if we take that family dynamic that we have in The Fighter, and put that in terms of a grander stage, with a crime family that metes out justice in the world of art and antiquities. If you're the head of a museum, or head of state, you've got to deal with them, and they're badass.

“I have a movie up for an Oscar. That is good, right? This means that this formula will work in every movie I ever make, so I am just going to make some stuff up and fit my ideas (that I have used before to make another movie.”

David O Russell  wrote:
They're like the Sopranos in some ways, but they have great taste, and they have a sense of justice.

“The Sopranos are a family too. That program worked so it must be a good idea, right?”

David O Russell  wrote:
I would love to do that with Mark , Robert De Niro, and a couple of hot women, it could be very thrilling.

“I like women, so I am going to strip all the personality and character development out of the existing ones and have some big titted women play the role or ‘stereotype’. If the womean are hot enough and the boobs are big enough, no one will notice."

David O Russell  wrote:
IGN: Do you think that it's possible to please the fans of a much-loved franchise like Uncharted?

David O. Russell:
I don't think that you can please everybody, but I will tell you this - I won't make it unless I can make a great movie.

“I actually don’t care what the fans think.”

David O Russell  wrote:
I don't think there are too many games you can play through that make you go - "Well that'll make a great movie." There's not a lot of references on it, so I don't think there's a blueprint that says you must directly translate the game to the screen.

Games are awesome because you're playing them, so that's just a whole other thing. I'm shooting things down and climbing over cliffs, climbing through rooms, of course you have that in an action picture, but if you don't have the characters, and the whole world that's really bizarre, I don't think you have a movie that really grabs you by the throat.

“I haven’t actually played Uncharted, so I assume that because it is a video game there aren’t any notable characters. This is good for me as I can make stuff up to suit.”

David O Russell  wrote:

I want the gamers to be happy. I have total respect for the game. My kid loves playing it, I love playing it. I just want to create a world that takes it to another level, that's another amazing world that's more cinematic.

“I have never played Uncharted. But I did play Pong once.Therefore I am a gamer and I know what I am doing.”

David O Russell  wrote:

IGN: Of all the video game movies, why was Uncharted the one for you?

David O. Russell:
Because it's centred around a family, and I like the combination of criminals and truth. These guys    they're tough but they're working on this crazy case, and they can't do it without truth. I think that's cool.

“I want it to be centred around a family, as that is the only way I know how to make a movie. I have been told it is a good game that lots of people like, so I thought I’d skip the thinking up a title bit and just use this one.”

David O Russell  wrote:
GN: Will the supernatural elements of the game make it into the movie?

David O. Russell:
All I'm going to say - I'm not supposed to talk about it - but what's wrong with the supernatural?

“Um… there’s supernatural stuff in the game? I thought it was about a family that metes out justice to corrupt museum curators. **bleep**. This means I’ll have to actually do some research.”

Displaced NDF individual Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 14 (19 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1337 posts

Overall I think it could be a pretty good movie, just not...

Feb 10, 2011

Overall I think it could be a pretty good movie, just not an Uncharted movie. For fans of the series this will end up the same way The Last Airbender did... God, that movie sucked! :smileytongue:

Message 10 of 14 (19 Views)
0 Likes