Treasure Hunter
6018 posts

:smileyhappy:   Thank you very much. Day. Is. Made.   I a...

Apr 21, 2010

:smileyhappy:

Thank you very much. Day. Is. Made.

I actually did play Drake's Fortune right before Among Thieves came out, too (and in fact several times in the couple of years between the two) but I was worried that having been utterly blown away by AT that it would seem a bit... not lame... but spoiled retrospectively. Turns out I didn't need to worry, as the two games are different enough, and full of their individual charms.

Displaced NDF individual Smiley Sad
Message 11 of 20 (69 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

eh.

Apr 21, 2010

I just recently played Uncharted 1 after playing through Uncharted 2 12 times, getting up to lvl 58 on multiplayer, and getting the platinum 12 days after release.I was surprised that Uncharted still held up surprisingly well.My main reason for enjoying Uncharted was that it had a better story and since I haven't played it in almost a year, it felt more fresh than The hundreds of hours I've spent on Uncharted 2.

I must say however, that Uncharted 1's aiming was quite wonky and inaccurate, and while the animation was impressive for it's time, It looks horrible now. It was also very short.My recent run-through of Normal clocked in at 5 hours and 5 minutes.

Uncharted 2 is better in terms of graphics, gameplay, replay value(longer sp, and mp). And what really stood out the most about Uncharted 2 that makes it my favorite game to date is that the set-piece action moments are orgasmic and come at you almost constantly.

Uncharted 1 had no real scene that made me **bleep** my pants.

Message 12 of 20 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6018 posts

... whereas Uncharted 2 has that collapsing building scen...

Apr 21, 2010

... whereas Uncharted 2 has that collapsing building scene, after which I am not ashamed to say, I yelled with joy.

Yes, U2 had more of <i>those</i> moments.

From that point of view, U2 is more fun. But, U1 does feel fresher, lighter. I agree with you there.

And BleachEX, thank you for that comment. I was particularly proud of that post. :smileyhappy: Uncharted gives me a lot of inspiration for my writing.

Message 13 of 20 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
155 posts

While I definitely feel that Uncharted 2 is the better ga...

Apr 21, 2010

While I definitely feel that Uncharted 2 is the better game, Drake's Fortune did some things better. For example, you spend most of your time on an uncharted island, not going through a public museum, or strolling through Nepal. Since you are staying in that one spot, you actually get more of a feel for the environment. You can tell something bad is happening around the island, and that there's a curse. In Among Thieves, you moved from one environment to another, never feeling really connected with each one. My favorite areas in #2 would definitely be the ice cave and Shambala. Why? They were uncharted. Just my personal opinion.

Message 14 of 20 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

This is what I really loved about Drake's Fortune. It's s...

Apr 21, 2010

TehWeirdDude wrote:

While I definitely feel that Uncharted 2 is the better game, Drake's Fortune did some things better. For example, you spend most of your time on an uncharted island, not going through a public museum, or strolling through Nepal. Since you are staying in that one spot, you actually get more of a feel for the environment. You can tell something bad is happening around the island, and that there's a curse. In Among Thieves, you moved from one environment to another, never feeling really connected with each one. My favorite areas in #2 would definitely be the ice cave and Shambala. Why? They were uncharted. Just my personal opinion.

This is what I really loved about Drake's Fortune. It's set in one location, and you definitely get a better feel for it, like you said. One of the things that really impressed me was the lighting. Elena and Drake land on the island in the morning, and you can see from the position of the sun in the sky and the lighting that time is passing. Obviously, time is passing for the player, because she's going through the game and having Drake kill people and climb all over the place, but to have that reinforced in the environments as well is some great attention to detail. That's something I missed in Among Thieves, where you have so many different locations.

Message 15 of 20 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6018 posts

It's funny, but the lack of variety in lkocations is one t...

Apr 22, 2010

It's funny, but the lack of variety in locations is one thing people were not too keen on in DF. I take your points, and agree; particularly about the lighting.

I think this is further highlighted when Nate says (while being hounded by Spaniombies) "This is truning out to be areally lousy day!" Each time I bave played it, that catches me out; it IS just one day, a busy day, but just the one. AT is many days, months etc; it feels less cosy for that, I think.

However (it's early, don't pull me up for this being too disjointed!) I really enjoy the Nepalese warzone, because it ISN'T uncharted. You feel like you are doing something undercover and undetected; something you really should not be doing. I like the parallels between the civil unrest and Nathan and his quest running side by side, only just bleeding over into each other.

Message 16 of 20 (69 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

i'd say i like the first one better there where so many d...

May 2, 2010

i'd say i like the first one better there where so many differente enviornments on one island but i wish there where maor places to go than stay on one island...:robotsad:

I don't camp...camping is for losers who relly on SA for kills.... Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Microthrix
Message 17 of 20 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

You'll never get that feeling again with any other Unchar...

Jun 2, 2010

You'll never get that feeling again with any other Uncharted games than with the first, simply because it was the first time you experienced it. But as for the better game, U2 is better, you have to be crazy not to see that. But by this game we were used to Uncharted so that sense of awe has kind of left us. However, when you break down just how different the two games are, it's kind of amazing just how far the game has come. Now, if U3 will have a leap the same as U1 to U2 it would be unbelievable but the game as it is now is pretty much a full package and even if U3 is like U2 but a new game it will still be incredible.

Elena: There it is, The Cintamani Stone. It's beautiful
Chloe: Yep, Magnificent. Now let's smash it and get the hell out of here
Message 18 of 20 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
577 posts

Aug 14, 2010

Message 19 of 20 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
577 posts

Aug 14, 2010