I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Re: matchmaking observation

[ Edited ]
Dec 30, 2012

xxBLiTZKREIGxx wrote:
Ever since the game launched, "Optimal" game was your best bet for finding a decent match (low lag). Now "Optimal" rarely finds a match, let alone a good match. "Close" dimds no one. But "finding players" is working out gteat. I used to get the worst matchmaking results while "finding players". Now its awesome! I think it must be a last ditch effort to find players and it must eliminate all criteria except ping.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't "Finding players" When you're hosting the match? Just an observation: I never find more than 5 players at a time, nor a game in progress. Usually it's one player at a time, and sometimes it takes 20 seconds and dumps all the players and moves on back to "optimal". And I am pretty sure U2 had the same set up because I've never had a host migration when I was the one "finding players" so I am 90% sure that is when you're going to host a game, which is how I have always seen it in both Uncharted multiplayers..

On a side note: When I am hosting a TO game (Or judging by my above measures to knowing if I'm host) and we end a round and start a new objective I always notice the game telling we what the next objective is but ONLY if I am host. Am I correct there or is it just me making stuff up? So example the game says in the kill log: "Next objective: Treasure hunter"

Message 11 of 30 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4075 posts

Dec 30, 2012
I've never noticed this^

It typically goes Optimal first. Then Close. Then Any. Then Players. But lately its been Optimal (which typically finds something) then very breifly Closr and Any(worst). Then Players which finds me all 4-5 bar players. Then I have a great match.

Probably just coincidence. But its working well right now. I even get some 5th legacy guys with 2.0+ kdrs and they quit to avoid my eventual dominance Smiley Happy It's fun when lag has no bearing on outcome.
Message 12 of 30 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Dec 30, 2012

Renegade_angel95 wrote:

xxBLiTZKREIGxx wrote:
Ever since the game launched, "Optimal" game was your best bet for finding a decent match (low lag). Now "Optimal" rarely finds a match, let alone a good match. "Close" dimds no one. But "finding players" is working out gteat. I used to get the worst matchmaking results while "finding players". Now its awesome! I think it must be a last ditch effort to find players and it must eliminate all criteria except ping.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't "Finding players" When you're hosting the match? Just an observation: I never find more than 5 players at a time, nor a game in progress. Usually it's one player at a time, and sometimes it takes 20 seconds and dumps all the players and moves on back to "optimal". And I am pretty sure U2 had the same set up because I've never had a host migration when I was the one "finding players" so I am 90% sure that is when you're going to host a game, which is how I have always seen it in both Uncharted multiplayers..

On a side note: When I am hosting a TO game (Or judging by my above measures to knowing if I'm host) and we end a round and start a new objective I always notice the game telling we what the next objective is but ONLY if I am host. Am I correct there or is it just me making stuff up? So example the game says in the kill log: "Next objective: Treasure hunter"

All I know (according to EvangM) is that you have to pay attention to the gray bars next to your name.

i.e. if you see 5 gray bars, then you MIGHT be the host. You can never be 100% sure, because someone else in the same lobby may also have 5 bars, so you could be connected to his IP, instead to yourself (127.0.0.1).

This whole bar nonsense should be abolished in TLOU and UC4 MP. We should be able to see MILLISECONDS, not VAGUE bars! I keep saying this for the last 3 years, but sadly not many people care about technical stuff. Smiley Sad

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 13 of 30 (245 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4075 posts

Dec 30, 2012
I agree.

I ALWAYS have 5 bars. Im not exaggerating. But I doubt I'm always host.
Message 14 of 30 (237 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Dec 30, 2012
I see. One thing I love seeing is being able to press a key on a PC game and see every players ping exactly. So yeah, I want this bar crap gone. It's for the cod kids that wouldn't understand anything about connection.

I am 90% sure about the "finding players" host theory but again, I could be wrong.

Also, nobody answered my TO question. Smiley Sad
Message 15 of 30 (224 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4075 posts

Dec 30, 2012
I like the "finding game" info at the top in the Modern Warfare multiplayer. It starts by saying " finding game <50ms". If it doesn't find one (rare) it goes to <75ms then <100ms and so on. So it shows you what kind of game you're going to be in. And you can back out up until game start. So if it threw you in with a bunch of 100+ms people, just back out. I wish U3 had this little info line.
Message 16 of 30 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4075 posts

Dec 30, 2012
@Renegade I've seen that little upcoming info before during TO, but to be honest, I don't reslly pay much attention to the kill scroll. So I can't say I've observed what your saying for sure.
Message 17 of 30 (208 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Dec 30, 2012
I only notice it because it's white and unusual.
Message 18 of 30 (200 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Dec 30, 2012

Renegade_angel95 wrote:

I also notice late joins in an unusual white font. It's probably yet another bug.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 19 of 30 (192 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Dec 30, 2012

tapantaola wrote:

Renegade_angel95 wrote:

I also notice late joins in an unusual white font. It's probably yet another bug.

I notice players leaving in white, I always thought it was players who left right before they were selected on any team.

But I don't know, it's unusual.

Message 20 of 30 (183 Views)
0 Likes