Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 05/13/2010
Online
3878 posts
 

Re: matchmaking observation

Jan 4, 2013
I'm still getting great matches (basically lag free) when I get players during the "Finding players..." search. If it's "Optimal", it's gonna have some laggers. "Finding players.." is THE BEST!!

I have to assume it's ping only. No other criteria is used. Everyone has 4-5 bars. I get a big assortment of different legacies. And I don't hear anyone cursing about lag.

If you want to try it, just keep backing out as it finds players in "optimal". Once it says Finding players stay there until you do. Enjoy.
Message 21 of 30 (206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/13/2009
Offline
1011 posts
 

Re: matchmaking observation

Jan 4, 2013
When a match was found in "finding players" was there ever a host migration if a player left? Also, do you generally find only 1-4 players when you are "finding players"?
Message 22 of 30 (201 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/13/2009
Offline
1011 posts
 

Re: matchmaking observation

Jan 12, 2013
Would like to bump this thread and point out that not only did I find a match "finding players" and have a mass leave with no host migration, I also got the "next objective" ticker in the kill log explaining what the next objective will be. In my experience I am 100% sure that "finding players" is whne you're hosting the game.
Message 23 of 30 (180 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/29/2009
Online
4896 posts
 

Re: matchmaking observation

Jan 12, 2013

Renegade_angel95 wrote:
In my experience I am 100% sure that "finding players" is when you're hosting the game.

You don't say?

Message 24 of 30 (178 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: matchmaking observation

Jan 12, 2013

Renegade_angel95 wrote:
Would like to bump this thread and point out that not only did I find a match "finding players" and have a mass leave with no host migration, I also got the "next objective" ticker in the kill log explaining what the next objective will be. In my experience I am 100% sure that "finding players" is whne you're hosting the game.

^ Gotta ask that in the Feb Q&A.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 25 of 30 (173 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 05/13/2010
Online
3878 posts
 

Re: matchmaking observation

Jan 12, 2013
@Renegade I've never seen a host migration. Does it do it like cod? You know, obvious? All I get when "Finding Players.." is a quickly filled lobby with most players having 4-5 bars and laggy matches are like 25% of the time. Instead of the normal 75% I see. I find parties and individuals of all levels. I actually get mad when the "Optimal" search finds players too quickly and I can't back out.

Am I hosting? I don't know. I have 5 bars like ALWAYS. I just know this method works well.
Message 26 of 30 (162 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/13/2009
Offline
1011 posts
 

Re: matchmaking observation

Jan 13, 2013
It respawns everyone >.<, I don't think it resets kill streaks, but it respawns everyone minus the leaving host, and usually a few players who don't migrate successfully (about 2 or 3)

As for the Call of Duty way, it's nothing like it, thankfully. I hate pausing in front of someone only to have the mass lag spike, and the player who didn't lag as bad get the kill.

And even worse, I've noticed in Whack ops 2 that if your killstreak gets called and then host migration occours, everyone is invincible for about 10 seconds, while my killstreak flies over. >.<

Just a little Whack ops 2 rant, explaining why I'll never put garbage made by Treyarch in my PS3. That garbage goes in my 360 Smiley Wink
Message 27 of 30 (146 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 05/13/2010
Online
3878 posts
 

Re: matchmaking observation

Jan 13, 2013
Oh ok. I've seen that type of reset (host migration) a few times. But only under one circumstance, during the train ride opening sequence on LU. I've NEVER seen it anywhere else. And if it happens late enough on the LU intro, the time on the train will be double the normal time while in the blue clouds for the 2nd half.

I've never seen a host migration in a normal match ever. I've seen the thing where my whole team gets the black X and we all end up in the lobby disbanded.

I guess I must be the host very very often. Which makes sense based on the number of DSLers that listed on the BS "Lag: We need your help" thread. It was like 55% dsl 45% cable/fiber.

Last night I only got my technique to work one time. It just wouldn't go past "optimal" or "close". And you guessed it, laggy kids all over the place. I still beasted most if the time though Smiley Happy
Message 28 of 30 (127 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: matchmaking observation

[ Edited ]
Jan 13, 2013

xxBLiTZKREIGxx wrote:
1) Oh ok. I've seen that type of reset (host migration) a few times. But only under one circumstance, during the train ride opening sequence on LU. I've NEVER seen it anywhere else. And if it happens late enough on the LU intro, the time on the train will be double the normal time while in the blue clouds for the 2nd half.

I've never seen a host migration in a normal match ever. I've seen the thing where my whole team gets the black X and we all end up in the lobby disbanded.

2) I guess I must be the host very very often. Which makes sense based on the number of DSLers that listed on the BS "Lag: We need your help" thread. It was like 55% dsl 45% cable/fiber.

1) You don't see it, because there is no message like in UC2 MP, but it still happens. For example when the host leaves and the idol is reset in Plunder or when everyone is reset back to their initial spawns in TDM.

2) Neither DSL, nor Cable are flawless and it depends on the implementation/congestion etc. I remember Glozor posting a speedtest from a DOCSIS/Cable connection in Puerto Rico. It was worse than dial-up... Also, many people complain about Comcast.

xDSL technology can be almost as fast as fiber (VDSL2 symmetric -> 100 Mbps down & 100 Mbps up). That's better than the average Cable connection in which you have to share the same coaxial cable with the entire neighbourhood... almost as bad as sharing WiFi.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 29 of 30 (120 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 05/13/2010
Online
3878 posts
 

Re: matchmaking observation

Jan 13, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

xxBLiTZKREIGxx wrote:
1) Oh ok. I've seen that type of reset (host migration) a few times. But only under one circumstance, during the train ride opening sequence on LU. I've NEVER seen it anywhere else. And if it happens late enough on the LU intro, the time on the train will be double the normal time while in the blue clouds for the 2nd half.

I've never seen a host migration in a normal match ever. I've seen the thing where my whole team gets the black X and we all end up in the lobby disbanded.

2) I guess I must be the host very very often. Which makes sense based on the number of DSLers that listed on the BS "Lag: We need your help" thread. It was like 55% dsl 45% cable/fiber.

1) You don't see it, because there is no message like in UC2 MP, but it still happens. For example when the host leaves and the idol is reset in Plunder or when everyone is reset back to their initial spawns in TDM. <---- I Have never seen this


2) Neither DSL, nor Cable are flawless and it depends on the implementation/congestion etc. I remember Glozor posting a speedtest from a DOCSIS/Cable connection in Puerto Rico. It was worse than dial-up... Also, many people complain about Comcast. <---- I know that all ISPs have their issues. And Comcast is not great, but I have had no complaints at all. And overall internet traffic seems to really be the issue around 6PM-9PM (peak traffic)

xDSL technology can be almost as fast as fiber (VDSL2 symmetric -> 100 Mbps down & 100 Mbps up). That's better than the average Cable connection in which you have to share the same coaxial cable with the entire neighbourhood... almost as bad as sharing WiFi. <----  I know, I wanted the ADSL+2 from CavTel when I moved. It's got some distinct advantages. But my house is just past  the very end of the loop. Even if they gave it to me, they said they couldn't guarantee speeds above 1Mb down. So I went with Comcast (50Mb down/10Mb up observed to most US servers)


 

 

Message 30 of 30 (105 Views)
Reply
0 Likes