Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: Ye Olde Freezy Quarter

Feb 16, 2013

JayJay2515 wrote:

That's nothing I froze on london underground about a week ago and now my ps3 won't read disc

You have to replace the Blu-Ray lens.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 45 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4483 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

JayJay2515 wrote:

That's nothing I froze on london underground about a week ago and now my ps3 won't read disc

And how much would that cost?
JayJay 2515 signature
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 45 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 16, 2013

JayJay2515 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

JayJay2515 wrote:

And how much would that cost?

If you can do it yourself, you can buy a lens off Ebay for $20-40. Otherwise, it may cost you up to $80-100.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 45 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4483 posts

Feb 16, 2013

:smileysad:

JayJay 2515 signature
Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 45 (139 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
996 posts

Feb 16, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Renegade_angel95 wrote:

Yeah, it doesn't affect the actual game itself too much. But I did move from 5400rpm to 7200rpm and that speeds up the in game XMB up greatly.

The main reason I believe the HDD replacement helped was it re installing the game data. I have maybe 1 crash a month now. I love the quick xmb and I have noticed the game pre-chaches faster. As far as one individual map causing issues... I never had that. My crashes were always random. In Uncharted 2 there was only one crashing issue and that was in the single player. I've never had one specific element or map cause it.

Yeah, a faster HDD can certainly help (not just more RPM, but also higher density platters). SSD is even faster, but more expensive of course.

Anyway, the PS3 OS is not very efficient in my opinion (it was designed a decade ago and it's obviously not future-proof). More stuff should be cached and you should be able to choose how much percent of the HDD capacity you want to reserve. Hopefully, the PS4/Orbis OS will be better than that.

It's a shame, because most *nix based OSes can do that... and you know what? The PS3 OS is based on FreeBSD, just like MacOS X. :smileywink:

Hopefully so, I love how it looks, I just wish it wasn't so whacky about things.

And I did know that. :smileywink: I was curious to see if I could run classic OS9 when I first got my PS3 lol. But I didn't find anything. I only found one case of someone running a home made Unix based OS. I've always been fascinated how the PS3 OS works. Even though it sometimes annoys the hell out of me. Hopefully the next gen Playstation will be as you said, more open to customization for people like us, who know what the hell we're doing.

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 45 (133 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 16, 2013

Classic MacOS 9 is not based on unix... You could run Linux (i.e. YellowDog) when the OtherOS option was still available.

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 45 (130 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
996 posts

Feb 16, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Classic MacOS 9 is not based on unix... You could run Linux (i.e. YellowDog) when the OtherOS option was still available.

I had a "Classic enviorment disc" it ran inside of OSX 10.3 and higher inside of OSX itself. I was pretty sure it was Unix based, or so I thought. Guess i'm wrong. D:

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 45 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 16, 2013

Renegade_angel95 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

I had a "Classic enviorment disc" it ran inside of OSX 10.3 and higher inside of OSX itself. I was pretty sure it was Unix based, or so I thought. Guess i'm wrong. D:

You can run whatever you want on top of the OS, either natively (virtualization) or through emulation.

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 45 (114 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
996 posts

Feb 16, 2013
We only ever had one true OS9 machine and I was too young to examine and play with the inner workings then. I just assumed it was Unix based. My bad.

I've only played with x11 in OSX 10.3.9 a little. I wish I knew more about it. The ole iBook was the first thing I ever learned to write any code. I had it dual booted with Ubuntu 9.04 and went through 3 upgrades before halting. It was neat to have that ole thing. I miss it. I remember the install was janked up and had this broken two kinda screen resolution and having to command line up files and change things. It was a lot of fun. I had it running pretty good. I dumped it after buying OSX 10.4. R.I.P G3 iBook.
Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 45 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Feb 17, 2013
It happens ALL THE TIME on Museum.
Naughtydog, you must bring back Charlie Cutter in Uncharted 4.
Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 45 (84 Views)
0 Likes