Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/29/2009
Offline
4807 posts
 

Re: Ye Olde Freezy Quarter

Feb 16, 2013
Rebuild Database, Restore File System and in worse case scenario, just format the hard disk.
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 45 (190 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/13/2010
Offline
3476 posts
 

Re: Ye Olde Freezy Quarter

Feb 16, 2013
When U2 would rarely freeze my PS3, upon reboot I would get that message about "not being shut down peoperly". Then it would go through the hard drive and fix issues (or something). But when it freezes on U3, it hardly ever gives me that message.
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 45 (187 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 01/01/2010
Offline
1494 posts
 

Re: Ye Olde Freezy Quarter

Feb 16, 2013
oold quarter is freezy?



Uncharted 3 Co-op Certification Center: Uncharted.VarHyid.com
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 45 (172 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/13/2009
Offline
996 posts
 

Re: Ye Olde Freezy Quarter

Feb 16, 2013
The Uncharted series has crashed on me more than any other series. I never get the "The system did not shut down properly" Message on this game. I alse experience less crashes now that I have put a 500gb Hard drive in my PS3. Now, if it's the new game install, the larger system cache, or whatever, I get a crash maybe once a month.

But Uncharted 2 was the worst. Sometimes a crash a day was expected.
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 45 (144 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: Ye Olde Freezy Quarter

Feb 16, 2013

Renegade_angel95 wrote:
The Uncharted series has crashed on me more than any other series. I never get the "The system did not shut down properly" Message on this game. I alse experience less crashes now that I have put a 500gb Hard drive in my PS3. Now, if it's the new game install, the larger system cache, or whatever, I get a crash maybe once a month.

But Uncharted 2 was the worst. Sometimes a crash a day was expected.

Maybe your old HDD had bad sectors. In that case, even a downloadable version cannot be glitch-free.

 

ps: The game cache is always the same (2GB), regardless of the PS3/HDD model.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 45 (141 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/13/2009
Offline
996 posts
 

Re: Ye Olde Freezy Quarter

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Renegade_angel95 wrote:
The Uncharted series has crashed on me more than any other series. I never get the "The system did not shut down properly" Message on this game. I alse experience less crashes now that I have put a 500gb Hard drive in my PS3. Now, if it's the new game install, the larger system cache, or whatever, I get a crash maybe once a month.

But Uncharted 2 was the worst. Sometimes a crash a day was expected.

Maybe your old HDD had bad sectors. In that case, even a downloadable version cannot be glitch-free.

 

ps: The game cache is always the same (2GB), regardless of the PS3/HDD model.


Ye, which is why I said "System cache" :smileywink:. After installing the OS I noticed a rather large sum was already taken (Enough that it would consume the entire old HHD) I found out it was based on how much space your HDD has. I have noticed improved preformance on the XMB, and since it's a tad bit faster, just slightly less load times on HDD game.

 

Anyways, I would assume those crashes were corrupted files, seeing as I've never re installed game data once on this PS3. I have very little issues other than the occaisional crashing. U2 would always improve after a patch, and would only return to the daily crash a month after a patch. I'd say half were freezes and the other half were when quitting the game. It could've been corrupted files, bad sectors. All I know is hear "Beep beep" is irritating. And I am glad it rarely happens now. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 45 (135 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: Ye Olde Freezy Quarter

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2013

Renegade_angel95 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

Renegade_angel95 wrote:
The Uncharted series has crashed on me more than any other series. I never get the "The system did not shut down properly" Message on this game. I alse experience less crashes now that I have put a 500gb Hard drive in my PS3. Now, if it's the new game install, the larger system cache, or whatever, I get a crash maybe once a month.

But Uncharted 2 was the worst. Sometimes a crash a day was expected.

Maybe your old HDD had bad sectors. In that case, even a downloadable version cannot be glitch-free.

 

ps: The game cache is always the same (2GB), regardless of the PS3/HDD model.


Ye, which is why I said "System cache" :smileywink:. After installing the OS I noticed a rather large sum was already taken (Enough that it would consume the entire old HHD) I found out it was based on how much space your HDD has. I have noticed improved preformance on the XMB, and since it's a tad bit faster, just slightly less load times on HDD game.


The PS3 OS reserves around 10% of the HDD capacity... IMHO, that's just stupid. In 1TB HDDs, it will reserve over 100GB. :smileyindifferent:

That space is not used to cache game data... they don't even cache stuff like PSN avatars, trophy icons -> they are always redownloaded from the internet and that makes the XMB even slower than it already is.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 45 (130 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/13/2009
Offline
996 posts
 

Re: Ye Olde Freezy Quarter

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2013

Yeah, it doesn't affect the actual game itself too much. But I did move from 5400rpm to 7200rpm and that speeds up the in game XMB up greatly.

The main reason I believe the HDD replacement helped was it re installing the game data. I have maybe 1 crash a month now. I love the quick xmb and I have noticed the game pre-chaches faster. As far as one individual map causing issues... I never had that. My crashes were always random. In Uncharted 2 there was only one persistant crashing issue and that was in the single player. The other crashes were random I've never had one specific element or map cause it.

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 45 (120 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: Ye Olde Freezy Quarter

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2013

Renegade_angel95 wrote:

Yeah, it doesn't affect the actual game itself too much. But I did move from 5400rpm to 7200rpm and that speeds up the in game XMB up greatly.

The main reason I believe the HDD replacement helped was it re installing the game data. I have maybe 1 crash a month now. I love the quick xmb and I have noticed the game pre-chaches faster. As far as one individual map causing issues... I never had that. My crashes were always random. In Uncharted 2 there was only one crashing issue and that was in the single player. I've never had one specific element or map cause it.


Yeah, a faster HDD can certainly help (not just more RPM, but also higher density platters). SSD is even faster, but more expensive of course.

 

Anyway, the PS3 OS is not very efficient in my opinion (it was designed a decade ago and it's obviously not future-proof). More stuff should be cached and you should be able to choose how much percent of the HDD capacity you want to reserve. Hopefully, the PS4/Orbis OS will be better than that.


It's a shame, because most *nix based OSes can do that... and you know what? The PS3 OS is based on FreeBSD, just like MacOS X. :smileywink:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 45 (114 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/02/2012
Online
4423 posts
 

Re: Ye Olde Freezy Quarter

Feb 16, 2013

That's nothing I froze on london underground about a week ago and now my ps3 won't read disc

JayJay 2515 signature
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 45 (113 Views)
Reply
0 Likes