Jul 17 2011
By: Unreal_Quaker Splicer 65 posts

Would you sacrifice 3D, split screen compabiilty for better graphics on UC3?

24 replies 79 views Edited Jul 17, 2011

Yes?

OR

No?

Message 1 of 25 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20402 posts

Not splitscreen. 3D maybe, since I'll never get a 3D TV.

Jul 17, 2011
Not splitscreen.

3D maybe, since I'll never get a 3D TV.
Message 2 of 25 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7103 posts

Sorry, but I don't see how that would make the 2D graphic...

Jul 17, 2011

Sorry, but I don't see how that would make the 2D graphics better.

1. 3D and 2D are two different things. They are NOT the same (for U3), so 3D does not affect the 2D graphics.

2. Splitscreen is similiar to 3D, so they can both be there without harming the 2D.

3. Even if 3D distracted ND from making the 2D graphics better, it's too late now.

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Message 3 of 25 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5217 posts

No 3D I don't care about but because nowadays splitscreen...

Jul 17, 2011

No

3D I don't care about but because nowadays splitscreen and 3D comes hand in hand.

Message 4 of 25 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14263 posts

I would sacrifice it, I have a 3D tv and honestly I don't...

Jul 17, 2011

I would sacrifice it, I have a 3D tv and honestly I don't like playing games in 3D at all.

Don't need split screen, thats what the internet is for :smileyhappy:

Message 5 of 25 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
453 posts

Jul 17, 2011

To OP,

Naughty Dog hasNOT sacrifiiced visual fidelity of any kind for 3D or split-screen.  I really wonder why some people continue to raise this an issue. 3D & 2D formats were developed seperately, which is why ND is taking such pride in their 3D implementation, it stands as unique in developmental approach.

The technical elements, including the visuals themselves in the UC3 beta, are better than the UC2 MP, that is the bottom line. Some may not agree with this, and you may not like the new approach in art direction, but ultimately, opinions have no leverage over facts. 
And if you're wondering how I am so certain regarding the 3D/SP, here is a very recent interview in which a Naughty Dog himself states that their was no comprimises made in visuals for 3D:

The Uncharted series as a whole is renowned for its superb visuals. How challenging is it to deliver the same graphical fidelity in your multiplayer element? 

JR: The multiplayer isn’t necessarily the problem. It’s the strain that comes with 3D, because one of our huge features in this game is split screen 3D support.

On the couch gaming is something that we’ve always loved you know, the idea of getting together and playing a game together.

When you play in different rooms or different TVs, it loses that social experience, and so we waned to do split screen from the very beginning of the project. Technically, it’s tricky to render two windows at the same time, although our technology does allow us to do that. 

It’s more of a question of our teams; going in and saying, ‘In split screen, what can we get away with NOT showing, but still making the level over the top and ridiculous?’ 

It’s hugely important that we maintained as high a level of fidelity as we possibly could, but I’m not going to lie; it’s tough, but the bottom line is we’re not sacrificing anything in terms of quality.

Because when you play full screen, on a single HD screen with great visuals, that is a completely different set up. So it’s not that we’re taking things out of the game to make split screen, it’s just a different way of development. 

I hope this finally clarifies things for those who are still confused about this.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/976308/uncharted_3_naughty_dog_interview.html

Message 6 of 25 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
65 posts

To tha_mangler_88 : As a matter, I'd read that interview...

Jul 17, 2011
To tha_mangler_88 :

As a matter, I'd read that interview earlier today.

Although I do find UC 2 graphics to be marginally better, I really don't have a problem with the UC3 graphics in general. I like em just fine and YEMEN looks great.

Having said that, my post is not to whine .. just to get an opinion of fellow players. So there's no need for personal rancour, when we both love the games :smileyhappy:
Message 7 of 25 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
4319 posts

Keep in mind, we had a lot more content in this beta than...

Jul 17, 2011

Keep in mind, we had a lot more content in this beta than you usually get from other betas or even demos.  A common practice for betas and demos is to reduce the overall filesize by paring down things like textures.

I'd bet almost anything that the retail version will look noticeably better.  This is coming from a guy who doesn't share the, "It's only a beta, it's only a demo," defense that most people throw out there.  Usually what you see in the demo, or even betas these days, is what you get in the retail version.  The exception there is graphics, as those do often change.  If the graphics stay the same, then it tends to be a very short demo.

So, food for thought there.  Think folks are being a little premature with the graphics for Uncharted 3.  Campaign looks pretty outstanding if nothing else. 

----------------------
She's going to have to fall on her sword. Which means that we have to stick one in the ground, trip her onto it and get someone to jump up and down on her back for ten minutes. --

Malcolm Tucker. Modern day saint.
Message 8 of 25 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
274 posts

tha_mangler_88's point was that it's not an either/or sit...

Jul 17, 2011

Unreal_Quaker wrote:
To tha_mangler_88 :

Having said that, my post is not to whine .. just to get an opinion of fellow players.

tha_mangler_88's point was that it's not an either/or situation.  One doesn't necessarily affect the other.

That said, I want more split screen.  I wish you could have 4 player offline splitscreen.  There are few "party game" shooters on the PS3.  Remember when you'd have two or three friends over all playing GoldenEye on the N64?  There are a few FPSes like COD4 that offer that, but FPSes make me nauseated.  The only third-person shooter I can think of with 4-player offline splitscreen multiplayer is Warhawk.  If U3 included 4-player offline splitscreen multiplayer (co-op and/or competitive with bots), it would be a great game for getting friends together.  Not everyone can or wants to play multiplayer online all of the time.  I like playing with and against my friends, and sometimes I'd like to do so with them in the same room rather than across the internet.

Message 9 of 25 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Definitely No

Jul 17, 2011

The graphics are pretty fine as they are, and splitscreen is huge. I love being able to actually play U3 with a friend over instead of taking turns and passing off the controller when we die.

Message 10 of 25 (79 Views)
0 Likes