Dec 28 2011
By: sharkboy_22 First Son 1 posts

Why was Uncharted 3 so rushed at the end?

12 replies 1305 views Edited Dec 28, 2011

First off I'm 17 years old and I've been playing the Uncharted games since I was 13. I got the first Uncharted game back in mid 2008 when I first got my PS3 and it was one of the first games I played for it. It was amazing. I loved it. It felt like a movie. The gameplay was fun, the storyline was compelling and to this day the jungle is my favourite setting out of them all. It just fit so well and made the game feel like a treasure hunting game. The creepiness also added to the teist. I probably played it about 10 times. Loved it to death,

So I enjoyed the first game that much, then I must have loved the second. Of course I did! I went out and got it for my 15th birthday and once again I probably played it about 10 times. My only problem was that Uncharted 2 felt more like an action game rather than the adventure experience the first game was. But the pacing was fantastic, the gameplay was smooth and the storyline was once again very, very compelling. For some odd reason I prefer Navarro's boss battle over Lezaravich and seeing him getting choked under water was more satisfying than seeing Lezaravich (excuse the spelling) get pumpelled by a bunch of gonns, but I'll let it slide.

So, Uncharted 1, great game. Uncharted 2, even more great (probably the best this gen) so for my 17th birthday Uncharted 3 was a must. The opening cut scene really set the tone. I knew that once again I was in for yet another epic Uncharted game. The thing I liked bout Ucharted 3 over the second was that the focus was back on the treasure hunting aspect. didn't feel like an action game butlike an adventure game with shooting elements to it,much like the first. The problem is the second half of the game. After the boat sinks, you immediately go and crash  a plane. The plane was really disappointing as well. It was just an uninspiring 5 minute gunfight and it was over. By the time the plane crashes, the game is over IMO. There's not much to be done after. Well, the horse riding part was really fun. You reach Ubar and it's once again a 5 minute gunfight, Marlowe's death wasn't what I was hoping for and Tablot was worse than Lezaravich. At least Lezaravich was a challenge, Tablot was just hand to hand combat and one gunshot to the head and done and over with.

The game was going really good but by the time you reach the sunken shipyard it just moves so fast. It's as if Naughty Dog just decided to give up or something. Another gripe I had with Uncharted 2 was the at times over done cinematics. But because of Uncharted 2's amazing pacing it felt like it was in the right palce. It the second half of the Uncharted 3, you know something's wrong. Also I still don't understand why Marlowe and Tablot were after the brass. It just doesn't make any sense, Were they going to infect the water supplies in America causing everyone to be under their control? You don't even get to see what the the treasure really looked like.

Don't get me wrong this is a great game, but Naughty Dog's hiccup makes this far from perfect. The plane section shoulf have laster longer should provided some cliff hanger type moments like Nate hanging off the side or something then having to get back to kill some more men. The potential was there to surpass Uncharted 2, but there's no doubt Naughty Dog rushed it. Maybe we were expecting a signifcant leap over Uncharted 2 like how Uncharted 2 was over the first.

Message 1 of 13 (1,305 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
419 posts

Re: Why was Uncharted 3 so rushed at the end?

Dec 28, 2011

Honestly I agree about the pace. the story was preet good to me because it made you think and didnt tell you straight up like UC2 did.

But yea it was all good until after the boat part, things just felt like it was moving too fast I dont even remember the plane part just only falling on the crate but it did feel like they tried to get the story over with, maybe because Sony set the budget but as for gameplay it does seem like more was put into trying to make a movie instead of a cinematic videogame. And then feels like it was focused more on the multiplayer to make that more amazing.

But still this is a great game I still love it but as for gameplay and pacing the other uncharteds felt better.

Message 2 of 13 (1,305 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11743 posts

Dec 28, 2011

Rushing the story is one way of looking at it. To me though, it's more like there wasn't that much left to tell. So, Naughty Dog just compressed a bunch of gameplay segments into the slots. The part with the ship and the plane are some of the better moments in the game I felt. Battling an entire fleet of mercenaries along the docks and then exploring a sinking ship (that eventually turns upside down) made for some interesting moments from Drake's perspective.

Of course, he's trying to find his best pal Sully, believing he's being held by the man with the moustache. The plane crashing feels epic in the way that it sets aflame and Drake goes tumbling through the air, landing on a crate in the falling wreckage. Naturally, he ends up meeting up with Sully after trekking all over the dead, sandy heat. Then the two of them embrace incoming dangers until we find out Sully won't make the cut.

Overall, however, Uncharted 3 I liked the least of the three. While a great game, the story doesn't balance the usage of the characters as well in the other games. Chloe, for one, is completely taken out halfway through. We don't get too much time with Elena either. This game is more about Nate's connection with Sully, their past connection with the main villain and how they first met up.

While the first game remains my favorite, I do think the boss battle against Lazarevic made for a better ordeal. It's generally a "boss fight" versus that of simply moving your way up to get rid of the guy shooting you. I also found Lazarevic a more appealing character, as we didn't really get to know Navarro that well. Eddie Raja was the greater focus in that game, and the bad guy whose story we indulge in for the most part.

Message 3 of 13 (1,305 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Dec 28, 2011

Indeed. But i guess ND just wanted to develop the Nate-Sully relationship in this game. For example, Sully's in Uncharted 2 for, what, 5 chapters? And Elena is the main focus of UDF. Chloe is featured fairly regularly in UC2 but again, they probably just tried to delve into Nate's past a little more. It'll all change in the next one, i can safely say.

The ultimate question: Keep the M32 with two grenades left, or pick up this full AK-47? :/
Message 4 of 13 (1,305 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1590 posts

Dec 28, 2011

I remember reading somewhere that cutter's actor had a part in the hobbit so he had to abandon uncharted 3 and ended up being written out of the game (which is why he just suddenly broke his leg in syria). Cutter and Chloe were originally going to continue with nate on his adventure.

Message 5 of 13 (1,305 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
885 posts

Dec 28, 2011

Da_Chimp96 wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that cutter's actor had a part in the hobbit so he had to abandon uncharted 3 and ended up being written out of the game (which is why he just suddenly broke his leg in syria). Cutter and Chloe were originally going to continue with nate on his adventure.

I read that too. Pretty annoying when you think about what could've been. ND should have waited until he was available for as much as they needed him, regardless of how long it took. I'd rather have waited an extra year (or three) than get the rushed game that was released.

Message 6 of 13 (1,305 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Dec 28, 2011

Doing the maths though, has there ever been a point in the Uncharted series where Nate has had more than two companions? I'm not saying its untrue, I read it too, but say my point is wildly true, that means Elena wouldn't have had a real part in Drake's Deception anyway.

The ultimate question: Keep the M32 with two grenades left, or pick up this full AK-47? :/
Message 7 of 13 (1,305 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 3, 2012

Time constraints.

The storytelling was great, though. Still, I think the sophistication in the story this time went a little too far, since not everyone would bother to focus on the concrete characterization of the main characters in contrast to the deceptive, outward appearance of the physical story. I think Gametrailers put it best when they said that the actual tale regarding Nate's adventure throughout the game is only the pedestal for the true story at hand, which is the exploration of Nathan Drake as a character and his relationships with his friends and enemies, but of course, for a game, some may argue that such elements of storytelling is pretty unnecessary or that that is a sad excuse for leaving "major plotholes" lingering unanswered, lol, which may be true. Besides, the actual outward plot this time around was pretty sloppy in comparison to the last two games, (which actually made up for the pretty deep character-driven story behind the two other games that was apparently made much more prominent in Drake's Deception), anyway, but hey, what can you do about those time constraints. =P

On the other hand, now that Naughty Dog's game with possibly the highest expectations out of all of their games (as of yet) has been released and most of the pressure has finally been vented off, I can honestly say that I believe U4 will possibly be the best of the Uncharted series yet. U3 was hard to make because the Naughty Dog team didn't know how to approach it after the success of U2, (and let's not forget about the absence of Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann), and was under so much pressure that they probably took too much of their energy in trying to craft a slice of perfection, which several players actually experienced, but many felt was lackluster overall. I immediately expected an underwhelming reaction from the majority of gamers as soon as seeing the E3 trailer anyhow; not because I was neglecting their skill as a video game developer, but rather, considering the fact that if I was a part of a developer who's been mostly low-key for over 7 years and practically became recognized as one of the top studios in the industry in over a mere span of days I'd feel anxious about working on the next project too, lol. Of course, this may have only played a minor role in producing a game that many people felt could've been better, but nevertheless...

Tl;dr, U3 had some pretty good storytelling, but such elements don't always appeal to the kind of audience it's targeted to; on the other hand, I also believe U4 will be better than U3 in every way, almost in the same way that Among Thieves was better than Drake's Fortune (technically speaking, anyway). Of course, as a fan of the company, this might sound a little biased, but (and I don't mean to sound like I'm...you know, bulls****ing anyone, but hey, believe what you like, lol) I've rarely been wrong in the past.

Yet of course, I guess only time will tell, 'ey? ;P

Message 8 of 13 (1,305 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
70 posts

Dec 28, 2011

There has been 9000 topics about this. If ND really ran of time who really cares it's done and just move on with it.

Message 9 of 13 (1,305 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
885 posts

Dec 29, 2011

pingthepong wrote:

Doing the maths though, has there ever been a point in the Uncharted series where Nate has had more than two companions? I'm not saying its untrue, I read it too, but say my point is wildly true, that means Elena wouldn't have had a real part in Drake's Deception anyway.

Er...Yes:

In Nepal he's with Elena, Chloe and Jeff.

In London and Syria he is with Chloe, Sully and Cutter.

In the horseriding chapter he's with Sully, Salim and Salim's army.

Message 10 of 13 (1,305 Views)
0 Likes