Sep 09 2012
By: DrakeShepard Uncharted Territory 1170 posts
Accepted Solution

Why Is NaughtyDog Ignoring This Topic?

39 replies 12545 views Edited Sep 9, 2012

I really want an answer from NaughtyDog as to why they never divided the modes separately in co-op arena. 

Take a look at this video and listen to what Arne says at 2:21

"We have a survival mode....surviving more waves with more difficult enemies up to 10 waves"

I asked them about this is the August Q&A  and this is what they said:

Q: What are your plans for Co-op? Are you going to divide the modes separately in Co-op arena like in UC2? (DrakeShepard)

A: We have discussed many ideas for Co-Op but the Co-Op Adventure as it stands offers players a mini-narrative and we don’t have any plans to affect change to that mode beyond the DLC we’ve already released. Currently we have no plans to divide the modes separately in Co-Op Arena.

Link for proof:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/UPDATED-w-Answers-Q-amp-A-with-...

Here's what doesn't make sense to me - Back in the beta I remember asking about separate modes coming back and they had said they were trying the combined modes out, see what people think. (this was asked in the beta forum section which isn't there anymore)

Players have been asking to bring back the original modes back (go to page 420 and keep going back and you'll see people asking about bringing it back)

Then they say they didn't have any plans to divide the modes separately? Over a year since the beta has been out and Arne saying there will be a survival mode, and nothing has happened.

NaughtyDog can you please give us a response to this. Why was nothing done about it?

Message 1 of 40 (12,545 Views)
Wastelander
684 posts

Re: Why Is NaughtyDog Ignoring This Topic?

[ Edited ]
Sep 9, 2012
When a mode (siege for instance) sucks so bad that people don't want to play it if it was a seperate mode, you need to get rid of it

IMO the only good Arena mode is Survival and even that can get annoying

See you in Uncharted 4!
Message 2 of 40 (12,529 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1290 posts

Sep 9, 2012
Yep. We at least need Survival only.
Message 3 of 40 (12,497 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1424 posts

Sep 9, 2012

Yeah, I really don't care about having a siege or gold rush mode, as long as we can get Survival.

That was one of my favorite parts about Uncharted 2.

Message 4 of 40 (12,487 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2428 posts

Sep 9, 2012

Yes, I miss it because you can't do coop challenges any more. I did stuff with friends as "Melee only survival" and "stay at the same spot the whole match survival" But you can't do that anymore because siege and gold rush keep showing up. And I remember that Gold Rush and Siege were more rewarding than Survival so people would still play it.

Message 5 of 40 (12,479 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Sep 9, 2012
I actually like gold rush......
Naughtydog, you must bring back Charlie Cutter in Uncharted 4.
Message 6 of 40 (12,476 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1470 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 9, 2012

SHUT_UP_FOOLS wrote:
I actually like gold rush......

Yes, me too, but the UC2 version! Treasure chest's and idol locations where always different. Still remember 8, 9th round of gold rush on flooded ruins. You had to get the idol to the chest past the main building and there where 3-4 Gau-19 brutes in the way. The other 2 players had to get their attention while I tried to score the idol. Also missing the score multiplier for killing the enemies as fast as possible. Yes, fusing the modes for team objective was a success but it obviously backfired at the co-op end and ND just doesn't want to admit it.

Edit: I think ND never planned to separate the modes despite the feedback on the beta forums. It is exactly the same situation as with patch 1.05 for UC2.

------------------Join my GTA V crew "ND forums"!-------------------

Message 7 of 40 (12,459 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1170 posts

Sep 9, 2012

Even Ali went to the trouble of making a super survival mode thread 

Message 8 of 40 (12,422 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1930 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 9, 2012

I think it's pretty obvious Naughty Dog doesn't care for Co-op. They just wanted to have *something different* this time around and feel the combined Co-op mode is the end all, be all.

Sure, it's nice I guess for the first couple of times, but after that it's routine, it's boring, and it's not as challenging (hell even Shades Mode isn't much more challenging IMO). Survival in UC2 was a lot more challenging, especially the way they had the life system done. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the main reason why Co-op Arena as a whole is easy, they give you too many lives, even on Crushing (10 lives is still a lot).

I liked the three lives only aspect of UC2, it made it much more tense and difficult to beat.

Co-op for ND, to me, seems more like a mode they want you to relax in and have a good time with your friends. And I'd say they succeeded with that for the mode. But it needs something for those Co-op diehards... which do exist. Shades Survival hardly fits the bill.

If you want more proof of my assertion, just look at Hunter. It was pretty much perfect in the summer beta (if I recall, it was a lot better for some reason) but come retail and it's trash. They made the rounds take longer (for no reason) and decided late join wasn't necessary (when regular Co-op Adventure AND Arena, both have late join!) Hunter is an okay mode the first couple of times you play it, but the more you play it the more frustrating and stupidly imbalanced it gets. And they have no plans to fix it. They know it's a turd, but they're letting it sit there just because it's an option in the game. But they have no plans to deal with it. Why? Because nobody plays it anyway! And why does nobody play it besides for treasures? Because it's awfully designed and wasn't well thought out.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 40 (12,416 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Sep 9, 2012

Wish they would support co-op more some people i play with have never played competative and only play co-op as they love co-op, they never get to play as vilains even though having paid for them in the dlc pack and having to play gold rush and seige, they should seperate the modes and still keep the combined ones or even make it into a custom game so you can choose which elements and rounds you want in your co-op game say if your with a friend.

Message 10 of 40 (12,393 Views)
0 Likes