Mar 25 2012
By: SouthpawLP Treasure Hunter 4595 posts

What the Revenge booster has done to this game breaks my heart.

166 replies 347 views Edited Mar 25, 2012

"All these Revenge grenades dood, I can't even see dem!" -FAB on the only thing we agree on: Revenge SUCKS.

This thread has been a long time coming. Specifically, six and a half months.

From October to today, there has always been one weapon or two that the community has claimed "overpowered". First, the KAL-7, then the FAL-SS, and now it seems like the hot topic today is the G-MAL (I am a very vocal G-MAL defender, but it had to be on this list due to the sheer number of people who keep making topic after topic about the weapon, even after they've already make three already, but I won't dwell on that in this thread anymore. Whiners gonna whine), even though the ROF M9 kills way faster and can be blindfired.

Kickbacks: 8-medal RPG, 7-medal Quick Boom, and 10-medal Shottie. Nuff said. I bet we'll be seeing a lot more Gotcha users, by the way.

When it comes to boosters, the two that 90% of the community appear to use, Fleet Foot and Bargain, have been the only ones complained about at length on these forums. It appears that both have been nerfed (Fleet Foot's speed and tragic effects from stopping power, and Bargain-stacking being much more expensive than it used to be).

Why the hell have I seen so few complaints about Revenge?

No seriously, give me an answer here. I want to know why.

Through the months that Uncharted 3 has gotten the proper tweaks to balance weapons and kickbacks, one booster has been here from the beginning to completely irritate me: Revenge. Revenge is like the bane of my existence. Every time I die to a Revenge grenade after I tapped triangle while the little needle was in the white zone and still have been killed by Revenge users, a part of me just dies inside. Every time I see someone's dead body drop a Revenge grenade for the first time in a match, I have to throw up in my mouth a little that they don't even want to try to give me competition. They don't want infinite ammo and grenades that Daredevil gives, they don't want sooner or more long-lasting kickbacks like Bargain and Kickback Endurance can give you, they don't want to climb faster and have less of a risk to dying while climbing like what Monkey Man gives you, they want just cheap kills that depends on them dying.

The worst part is seeing a Revenge grenade kill me from twenty feet away, indicating the person with Revenge was lagging extremely badly. I was nowhere near his body, but because his connection is fed through not a potato, but instead the fecal matter of someone who's been eating potatoes, he gets a free kill on me. Uh, bull****. Total bull**** death, because Naughty Dog wants everyone to be on the same level, even the people who genuinely suck at this game.

I'm tired of seeing everyone use this booster. I see this booster used more often than Fleet Foot and Bargain, actually. I'd say this is the most-used booster in the game, and it has never been nerfed once. It's been in its broken, retarded state ever since the beginning of October. All I know is that if there are no grenade throwbacks at all in the upcoming Classic Mode, I will not touch the mode until it's confirmed Revenge grenades can be thrown back. Since almost everyone appears to use it, there's no way in hell a stealthy player like myself will want to try Classic Mode. The throwback system is the only thing that saves my life after I stealth-kill someone with Revenge. If you try to run, jump, or roll away from a Revenge user after a stealth-kill, you're dead. The only way to survive is tap triangle at the right time.

Yeah, sure, it's just a nooby booster and at least they're using something that's actually useless instead of something like Monkey Man or Bargain. But like the blindfire just spoon-feeding you kills in October, shouldn't we be upset that something that will give you free kills if you're lucky (or laggy) enough has stayed in the game for this long? We need to do something so that people can start using some better boosters and learn to be good at the game!

Here are my suggestions for this booster:

1. Nerf it. Either make it so Revenge grenades drop if you're on an actual deathstreak (no one complains about Let Me See because that requires you to be on a deathstreak in order for it to be useful, not just after every death), or make the grenade bounce into the air the way the booster did in Uncharted 2. Something should be done to discourage people from just abusing the booster because seeing most of the community use it makes me angry that players would rather try to get cheap kills instead of get better at the game.

2. No matter what, Revenge grenades should not drop during a stealth/melee animation. While this is easily countered as calcunnon proved, I don't feel like a grenade should be dropped before you kill someone. Watching closely, I notice that Revenge grenades drop before you hear the "SHING!" sound. Uh, the grenade's supposed to be drop AFTER you're dead, not WHILE you're dying.

3. How about make the medals required to level it up are Unlucky medals? That would be great! Sure, Afterlife makes more sense, but I'd love to see more people having to get tons of Unlucky medals to level it up. If I saw that someone racked up enough Unlucky medals to get Revenge Gold, I'd definitely laugh smugly more than be annoyed by BS laggy deaths.

4. Replace the freaking booster. Delete it. Screw the people that think it's the best booster in Slot 2 (yeah, I've seen a whole party of Revenge-users in Objective, and when I told them it sucks, they were all, "I don't know man, it's a really good booster"). If natural selection had its way, they wouldn't even be alive to play this game in the first place. Replace it with a competitive Overstock booster. Please ND please make this awesome co-op booster a competitive booster too! Smoke Bomb, Mega Bomb, Cluster Bomb, and Carpet Bomb (LOLOLOLOL) users would be eternally grateful. If Revenge needs to be deleted for Overstock to be in competitive modes, that would totally be a sacrifice worth making. This is my favorite solution for obvious reasons, but knowing that nothing can really be deleted after a game has gone gold, it appears the above suggestions are much more likely.

The bottom line is that Revenge has been neglected for long enough and that people should be more encouraged to work for their kills instead of give up and try to get some cheap ones. Revenge has not been touched once, but I want it to be more discouraging to use for the thousands of people who want to exploit it and get undeserved kills, if not destroyed beyond all belief or tweaked the reasonable way Naughty Dog does.

Thank you for reading my long rant about this obnoxious booster.

Message 1 of 167 (347 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
959 posts

Re: What the Revenge booster has done to this game breaks my heart.

Mar 25, 2012

I say they move it to slot 1 and make the grenade marker visible from longer ranges. They've also got to fix the stealth kill animation, of course, but the first two things would be my preferred fix.

TF3:HWS
Message 2 of 167 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2892 posts

Mar 25, 2012

Revenge is NOT that bad.  People toss my Revenge Nades away ALL THE TIME.

It is not that hard to do.

2544133150[1].png

Message 3 of 167 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7012 posts

Mar 25, 2012

When someone on the other team has it, it will only kill me if one of my teammates moves in front of me and stops me in my tracks.

I want two things to happen. Make it so you can move through your teammates like you already can in certain areas but instead everywhere, and move Revenge to slot one so my teammates can use it with teamsafe. I die more by teammate revenge grenades than enemy revenge grenades by far.

Message 4 of 167 (347 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

Mar 25, 2012

..............ok? I laugh when I see people equip the revenge booster. It's so easy to avoid a revenge grenade that I actually think it needs a buff not a nerf. They do need to fix the stealth animation glitch though but thats it.

Message 5 of 167 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Mar 25, 2012

Sounds like someone got killed by a few revenge nades.... lol

I hate the booster, but with the throwback system it's not too annoying, even the level 3 version.  It's a selfish booster just like Bargain is (although Bargain is more annoying IMO).

sigbar

Message 6 of 167 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2689 posts

Mar 25, 2012

darthgeek8 wrote:

I say they move it to slot 1 and make the grenade marker visible from longer ranges. They've also got to fix the stealth kill animation, of course, but the first two things would be my preferred fix.

_______________________________________________________________________ Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Bullet Damage Video

it wa not a problem in UC2 where it was perfect - the grenades took longer than normal to blow up which made it fairer and they dropped from waist height and glowed red straight away so you could see them

wright now i could kill some one in UC3 from 50 feet away and run up to them and then the grenade just magically appears and blows up

other times i could melee kill them and the grenade blows up before i can even move 2 feet, how does that make sense that there are different timers.

revenge grenades have no skill involved in them so they should a least take 50% if not twice as long to blow up just like they did in UC2

Message 7 of 167 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4595 posts

Mar 25, 2012

GloZorCoMeTh wrote:

Uncharted 3 Stats Card by the Naughty-Kennel.com - DarkDuneMRK Uncharted 3 Stats Card by the Naughty-Kennel.com - GloZorCoMeTh

Then stop using Revenge if people toss your grenades away "ALL THE TIME". There are better boosters in Slot 2, have you really just given up on trying to get better and earn your kills legitimately?

The problem with Revenge is the fact that almost everyone uses it, meaning that they want to just get cheap kills instead of try to survive. They depend on dying a lot to make the most of their boosters. Everyone using Monkey Man? Not a problem. Everyone using Explosive Expert? Not a problem. Everyone using Revenge? Huge problem. The community has given up trying to be good at the game.

Message 8 of 167 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7012 posts

Mar 25, 2012

Trick_2092 wrote:

I agree, Revenge is an extremely annoying booster.

It just screams "I am a n00b and I expect to die and hopefully get you back for with my death grenade"

One thing I hate most about Revenge is that its a good chance that it'll kill you if you stealth kill somebody.  Stealth kills are some of the hardest in the game, its ridiculous that something like Revenge can kill you even though you got a fair and square stealth kill.

I think Cloaked level 3 should cancel out Revenge grenades after successfully killing the opponent with a stealth kill.

One thing I do enjoy about Revenge is it can actually be beneficial to me when I play TDM, I kill an enemy and his Revenge grenade finishes off his teammate awarding me with two kills instead of one.  Its just inconsiderate to use Revenge in a TDM or any other team based mode XD

This. I like this very much.

Message 9 of 167 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2241 posts

Mar 25, 2012

GloZorCoMeTh wrote:

Uncharted 3 Stats Card by the Naughty-Kennel.com - DarkDuneMRK Uncharted 3 Stats Card by the Naughty-Kennel.com - GloZorCoMeTh

unless your camping or in a tight space. i also find it stupid and annoying because EVERYONE USES IT! no joke. im actually afraid to do stealth kills because i keep dying by revenge when i do it. everytime i steal somone and they are not using revenge i tell them "thank you for being a good player" ive only said that twice...

Message 10 of 167 (347 Views)
0 Likes