Feb 01 2013
By: Asraik Survivor 2224 posts

What makes you watch a gaming video?

14 replies 455 views Edited Feb 1, 2013

Okay so I have been wondering for awhile on this question, so I thought why not ask here for an answer on what the Uncharted Community (well Multiplayer section anyhow) looks for when watching a gaming video. So I honestly am curious what attracts you to a YouTube channel in particular? This could range from content, music, in voice chatting (or commentary), and even the type of quality of recording/what has been uploaded. Now I don't approve of the whole posting on YouTube or anywhere begging people to watch/subscribe to your channel or to do a "I subscribe to you, you subscribe to me." I am also curious as to how you handle your YouTube channel if you have one or any tips that work best.

In the video above, I am playing Left 4 Dead. This video was a test video and the quality was horrible (I uploaded it as a test to time x quality on Youtube.) It also features some voice chat and the gameplay is still good. Now the video is a total of 12 minutes long, and it was on Expert. Compared to the video below it was quite different in terms of how it was done.

The video above was really me on single player on Expert, while the video before was a 4-player multiplayer game. The graphics were much better, but there was no voice chat within the game. Both videos are of the same length and are about Left 4 Dead.

The video above was me playing Uncharted 3 in Three Team Deathmatch, although the gameplay could have been much better the video is only 4 minutes long. It features content I know many here enjoy and the graphics are nice and it looks well. It doesn't have voice chat but it is short enough so people who don't like viewing long videos don't have to endure it like torture.

The last video is of Uncharted 3 again, yet has no voice chat and was the Mega Bomb Lab. I did good, and the video was 12 minutes long.

Okay so you don't have to watch them all (that is a long time) you can just watch the first 3 minutes of them to get the difference between them. The point being I am curious as to what makes you watch a particular Youtube video/subscribe to a channel and watch certain content. Does it specfically have to be a game you are interested in (i.e this is the Uncharted multiplayer forums and two of the videos posted here relate to Uncharted 3.) or can it be anything so long as it has commentary. Basically I am curious on everyone's opinion on what makes YOU watch a gaming video. You can go on and write a whole paragraph, I don't mind. I am really curious as to what makes people watch a certain channel? Does the channel have fame (well known player), is the content funny, do you just click on random videos?

Message 1 of 15 (455 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4079 posts

Re: What makes you watch a gaming video?

Feb 1, 2013
Fitst it jas to be a game I play or a game I'm interested in. Next I like to see how others play. Learn from them occasionally. And last, but not least, I like good informative commentaries or funny commentaries.
Message 2 of 15 (447 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2224 posts

Feb 1, 2013

xxBLiTZKREIGxx wrote:
Fitst it jas to be a game I play or a game I'm interested in. Next I like to see how others play. Learn from them occasionally. And last, but not least, I like good informative commentaries or funny commentaries.

What games interest you, a  certain genre or certain titles? Does length of the video matter? I'm just wondering if those are the only criteria for what makes you watch a video? XP

Message 3 of 15 (445 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
766 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 2, 2013

I like shorter videos with good commentary. I don't care how good they are or if they win the match. Any good/well known PS3 game is fine. As for quality, I don't care how good it looks, as long I can tell what's happening, or it doesn't make me nauseous. Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 15 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Feb 2, 2013
I watch if it's kinda funny. Funny commentary, I mean. The definition if funny in UC3 is weird.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 5 of 15 (417 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
394 posts

Feb 2, 2013
Commentary is must when i watch youtube videos otherwise i feel like im wasting my time. I only really watch channels that bring you news like IGN, BG etc and people who play Uncharted w/commentaty or are extremely funny (KYR SP33DY).

Finally I love watching people rage (ELPRESADOR says Hi) lol.

I hope im allowed to have these youtube channel names here.
 photo psd_signature_mass_effect_by_urrrrrrrrr-d4rckz9_zps4cdccc04.png
Message 6 of 15 (412 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2633 posts

Feb 2, 2013

tripleWRAGE

yeehaw i'm a cowboy now
Message 7 of 15 (400 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1036 posts

Feb 2, 2013
Lol if you guys could give me feedback on my channel/commentaries I'd appreciate it as well. SP45Gaming Smiley Wink
I do gameplay/commentary, help me out and subscribe! Click my siggy to get to my channel!
Photobucket

Photobucket

I don't really play Uncharted 3 much anymore... Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 15 (386 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
567 posts

Feb 2, 2013
It has to be interesting enough to watch imo
If its just one good vid, I'll "like" it. If theres a possibility of more interesting vids...u have subs lol

The most interesting YT U3 channels pumping out good vids are robingaming, triplewreck, and babypowders channel. I personally like the variety in robin's channel, but i haven't checked them all out yet Smiley Tongue
Message 9 of 15 (370 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14231 posts

Feb 2, 2013

What makes me watch a video usually is a lack of voice from the player. I like to experience the gameplay to the fullest without someone talking over it.

That isn't to say I don't enjoy commentaries, It's just like when you listen to radio, would you want to listen to a DJ who clearly doesn't have a voice fitting for it? That is the case with a lot of people doing commentary of sorts.

I enjoy review commentaries and complaining commentaries though. These are either funny or informative, I see a lot of videos where people talk for the sake of talking on something and that isn't cool. I don't want to know the person making the video when I'm watching a video. I wanted to watch the video...

In other words I don't appreaciate people who use commentary for the sake of just forcing themselves upon you which is what a lot of people do. I only want it when it's done in the correct way, like a review, tutorial or wherever it may be appropriate Example: Summer olympics video, it was appropriate there but doesn't fit any of my categories.

I'm going to give out a few tips on getting viewers and possibly some subs to anyone struggling. Because I'm nice, I could have a lot more if I follow the avenues I know are successful, but I really don't care for my popularity all that much, I keep my channel nice and pretty because it's something I'm going to keep as a log of everything good or positive i've done either for myself or for others, I have it simply to look back on. It's more of a gaming log than a channel to me.

Okay so here goes

Tip 1: A Video of a demo that is not released to many people will get you lots of curiosity views and some subs

With 38,839 views this isn't the best nor most popular video I've ever done. What it did do is offer people access to seeing a game boss they hadn't seen in gameplay action before, plus it had the informative part of a strategy to beat the boss at the time which was hard in that demo with almost no ammo.

TIP 2: Give people access to something free without having to pay for it.

This has over 100,000 views and all it does is simply abuse the game into giving you something for free, I gave people DLC by just typing in a name and playing a story. everyone loves a trick or workaround that isn't costly.

Tip: 3 Spoil the game

Give people the ending to a hard or long game, many people will skp the game to the ending if they don't want to finish it.

Final tip I can give people is Walkthroughs, these are not always going to attract big numbers they depend on the game popuarity, I guess it's best to have a walkthrough for a game that doesn't have many walkthroughs as that hightens the chances of you receiving viewers due to a lack of alternative videos.

Hope I helped some people anyway. My video channel/log is in my signature, I do a lot of Uncharted, I do a lot of whatever I'm playing though so it includes loads of different stuff, mostly trash Smiley Very Happy But at least the vast majority past a certain point is high quality videos.

Message 10 of 15 (360 Views)