Highlighted
Feb 10 2013
By: Alluboy_ Fender Bender 3798 posts

What is going on with the Fort?!

[ Edited ]
24 replies 618 views Edited Feb 10, 2013

Am I the only one who's TV or PS3 starts going crazy while playing the Fort? Today for example, I was playing Team Objective in the Fort in a party of four. During Turf war, I was just camping in one of the hills. After a while, I open the scoreboard, and my PS3 starts making this really weird high pitched noise!

I mean, that came out of nowhere! As soon as I closed to scoreboard, the noise was gone. I swear I almost pooped my pants when that happened.

This isn't even the first time Fort has been messing with me. It makes the PS3's fan really loud and sometimes (usually happens when I'm in the lower level of the Fort/underground) even turns off all the sounds from my TV for a few seconds! That shouldn't be the game's or map's fault, my TV isn't that good to be honest, but why does it ONLY happen in Fort?

Like, sometimes when I start a game, go to Store, Netflix or anywhere, the screen goes black but I can still hear everything. This only happens during start ups, not in middle of the game or anything. I can simply fix it by changing the channel and going back.

I should just get a new TV, full hd this time. I've had enough of that 720p crap. Smiley Tongue

I hope this all just happens because my PS3 is old (around 3 years), because soon I'm going to be too afraid to even play the map anymore.

Has anyone else had any problems with the Fort? Does it screw up your PS3?

Message 1 of 25 (618 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: What is going on with the Fort?!

Feb 10, 2013

Alluboy_ wrote:

even turns off all the sounds from my TV for a few seconds!

I've been noticing the same thing ever since they released Fort in UC3 MP. It worked fine in UC2 MP.

I have a PS3 Slim (CECH-25xx, 45nm Cell & 40nm RSX) and a 7.1 receiver (HDMI audio).

Does ND care to fix this issue? (rhetorical question)

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 2 of 25 (604 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2359 posts

Feb 10, 2013
For me, when ever Fort reaches the 15 minute mark, it makes this awful cracking sound, then everything goes mute for 20 seconds.

My PS3 fan also goes crazy when this happens.
Pepsi
Message 3 of 25 (558 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3798 posts

Feb 10, 2013

So I am not the only one. Thank God.

Message 4 of 25 (549 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3959 posts

Feb 10, 2013
I've never heard of this kind of problem. Sounds bad if the sound is coming from your ps3 not the tv. If you're hearing the fan kick on loudly more and more often, you're probably playing on borrowed time unfortunately. It's typically because the BGUs are getting way to hot. Eventually all of the flux in the solder will be gone and the soldered connection will become brittle. Then the BGUs will lose contact with the board and it's time to repair/replace your ps3 Smiley Sad

How long are you playing at a time? Is the system well ventilated? Is it really close or worse on top of a cable/satellite box?

I jave had friends that couldn't play certain maps in the past. They just deleted the game data and re-downloaded the dlc and got the current patch re-downloaded when they started the disc again. That usually fixed the issue. But your issue sounds very different.
Message 5 of 25 (544 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1503 posts

Feb 10, 2013
my ps3 is 5 years old Smiley Tongue

Uncharted 3 Co-op Certification Center: Uncharted.VarHyid.com
Message 6 of 25 (509 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2013

What exactly is a "BGU"?

It seems like a programming error to me. An infinite loop or something which probably increases the CPU/GPU load and that's why you hear the fan kicking in.

My PS3 has the latest generation of Cell/RSX (45nm/40nm), so I don't notice more fan activity, because they are running cool by default. YLOD is not possible in that case. Still though, the audio loss is annoying.

There is also yet another technical issue (what a surprise) plaguing Fort: if you use 3D mode, then you will see the rain indoors as well, lol.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 7 of 25 (470 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3959 posts

Feb 10, 2013
I can't remember what the acronym stands for. I might be spelling wrong (maybe VGU). But, its the 2 big graphics processors in tge middle of the PS3's mother board. They do the heavy lifting and get very hot (mostly in the old fat boys). I dealt with this problem for a while before I found a way to get a new slim a couple years ago.
Message 8 of 25 (436 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 10, 2013

xxBLiTZKREIGxx wrote:
I can't remember what the acronym stands for. I might be spelling wrong (maybe VGU). But, its the 2 big graphics processors in tge middle of the PS3's mother board. They do the heavy lifting and get very hot (mostly in the old fat boys). I dealt with this problem for a while before I found a way to get a new slim a couple years ago.

You mean the CPU (Cell) and the GPU (RSX or Reality Synthesizer). Smiley Wink

It's usually the GPU that has the problem and needs to be resoldered.

Message 9 of 25 (429 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3959 posts

Feb 10, 2013
My mistake. All I know is, I cracked that fat ps3 open close to 20 times and re-flowed those things everytime. Eventually I put some more flux under them because the fix was only lasting a day or two.

Message 10 of 25 (416 Views)
0 Likes