Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 10/11/2007
Offline
3749 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 26, 2012

And let's not forget the biggest reason why people have an issue with U3 DLC trophies.  They were not retroactive.  For that reason alone I have no problem with people boosting.

Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 137 (294 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 09/11/2012
Offline
1861 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2012

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

shadowlibraboy wrote:
trophies shouldn't be "easy" because ten a platinum trophy wouldn't mean anything.

Trophies should be difficult, but fun.

I am fine with these online trophies being difficult, since it gives you a challenge, but does not count towards the platinum.

Online trophies should never cout towards platinum, because is it complete bullsh*t when you can't platinum a game like Mercanries 2 because EA disconnected the servers.

And I need to find 6 people to get my last trophy in skate 3 for platinum.

So basically: trophies should be challenging, But still fun, but definitely not easy. And online trophies should be extra: not count towards platinum.

I am fine with the trophies ND added to the mutiplayer, they are extra, reward you for playing the MP and do not block you from getting a platinum.

Difficult - Mirrors Edge time trials but a lot of fun to do, don't include rage and actually depend on a players skill or learning capabilties.

 

Stupid - Treasure drops - relies on 100% luck, any developer who makes a trophy that requires no skill needs to rethink how games are made and what the purpose of them really is.

 

ND have still lost their way really.

 

I don't trash Wipeout HD's platinum. It's attainable, I'm just not good enough at the game to attain it. Requires a lot of skill at the game that I just don't have and never will have. Even if it does possibly break that barrier of what is difficult or impossible to me, but the key point there is what is impossible to me isn't impossible to someone else. So I'd have to accept that it's not that bad considering there could have been trophies that require luck over skill.

 


I was actually in the top 100 in mirrors edge time trials, the highest being 30 something. It's not hard but the only hard time trial was the "office", that was impossible for me to complete. 


The office was indeed very hard, I always failed to do the walljump to the roof of the office, but after a few tries I made it :smileyhappy:

Mirror's Edge is the platinum I'm most proud of, it requires a lot of skill and there's hardly any luck required, I hope they make a sequel, but it's to long ago now so I doubt it :smileysad:


When I wrote "completed" I meant in completing it and recieving a highscore on the leaderboards. Some people in the top 10 finished it in like 15 seconds! That's fing amazing, I cannot do that. 

 

@Aureilia, Mirrors edge time trials were insanly fun, and it has made me better in the game. 


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

34gau1c.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 137 (280 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
2852 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 26, 2012

wais_45 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

shadowlibraboy wrote:
trophies shouldn't be "easy" because ten a platinum trophy wouldn't mean anything.

Trophies should be difficult, but fun.

I am fine with these online trophies being difficult, since it gives you a challenge, but does not count towards the platinum.

Online trophies should never cout towards platinum, because is it complete bullsh*t when you can't platinum a game like Mercanries 2 because EA disconnected the servers.

And I need to find 6 people to get my last trophy in skate 3 for platinum.

So basically: trophies should be challenging, But still fun, but definitely not easy. And online trophies should be extra: not count towards platinum.

I am fine with the trophies ND added to the mutiplayer, they are extra, reward you for playing the MP and do not block you from getting a platinum.

Difficult - Mirrors Edge time trials but a lot of fun to do, don't include rage and actually depend on a players skill or learning capabilties.

 

Stupid - Treasure drops - relies on 100% luck, any developer who makes a trophy that requires no skill needs to rethink how games are made and what the purpose of them really is.

 

ND have still lost their way really.

 

I don't trash Wipeout HD's platinum. It's attainable, I'm just not good enough at the game to attain it. Requires a lot of skill at the game that I just don't have and never will have. Even if it does possibly break that barrier of what is difficult or impossible to me, but the key point there is what is impossible to me isn't impossible to someone else. So I'd have to accept that it's not that bad considering there could have been trophies that require luck over skill.

 


I was actually in the top 100 in mirrors edge time trials, the highest being 30 something. It's not hard but the only hard time trial was the "office", that was impossible for me to complete. 


The office was indeed very hard, I always failed to do the walljump to the roof of the office, but after a few tries I made it :smileyhappy:

Mirror's Edge is the platinum I'm most proud of, it requires a lot of skill and there's hardly any luck required, I hope they make a sequel, but it's to long ago now so I doubt it :smileysad:


When I wrote "completed" I meant in completing it and recieving a highscore on the leaderboards. Some people in the top 10 finished it in like 15 seconds! That's fing amazing, I cannot do that. 

 

@Aureilia, Mirrors edge time trials were insanly fun, and it has made me better in the game. 


oh, I wondered about those 15 seconds too, I've found it on youtube and it appears you can use a chair to walljump 90 degrees to a pillar with a tiny pole attached to it, you can stand on that tiny pole and walljump your way to the finish, I don't know how they did it though, there are also a lot of tricks they use, for instance they punch in the air to the left or something and they run insanely fast in no time, I assume you know how it works, because else you would never get yourself in the highscores, because I see everyone do it in the video's on youtube, and it's very effective...

Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 137 (261 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Online
13349 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 27, 2012

wais_45 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wais_45 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

shadowlibraboy wrote:
trophies shouldn't be "easy" because ten a platinum trophy wouldn't mean anything.

Trophies should be difficult, but fun.

I am fine with these online trophies being difficult, since it gives you a challenge, but does not count towards the platinum.

Online trophies should never cout towards platinum, because is it complete bullsh*t when you can't platinum a game like Mercanries 2 because EA disconnected the servers.

And I need to find 6 people to get my last trophy in skate 3 for platinum.

So basically: trophies should be challenging, But still fun, but definitely not easy. And online trophies should be extra: not count towards platinum.

I am fine with the trophies ND added to the mutiplayer, they are extra, reward you for playing the MP and do not block you from getting a platinum.

Difficult - Mirrors Edge time trials but a lot of fun to do, don't include rage and actually depend on a players skill or learning capabilties.

 

Stupid - Treasure drops - relies on 100% luck, any developer who makes a trophy that requires no skill needs to rethink how games are made and what the purpose of them really is.

 

ND have still lost their way really.

 

I don't trash Wipeout HD's platinum. It's attainable, I'm just not good enough at the game to attain it. Requires a lot of skill at the game that I just don't have and never will have. Even if it does possibly break that barrier of what is difficult or impossible to me, but the key point there is what is impossible to me isn't impossible to someone else. So I'd have to accept that it's not that bad considering there could have been trophies that require luck over skill.

 


I was actually in the top 100 in mirrors edge time trials, the highest being 30 something. It's not hard but the only hard time trial was the "office", that was impossible for me to complete. 


The office was indeed very hard, I always failed to do the walljump to the roof of the office, but after a few tries I made it :smileyhappy:

Mirror's Edge is the platinum I'm most proud of, it requires a lot of skill and there's hardly any luck required, I hope they make a sequel, but it's to long ago now so I doubt it :smileysad:


When I wrote "completed" I meant in completing it and recieving a highscore on the leaderboards. Some people in the top 10 finished it in like 15 seconds! That's fing amazing, I cannot do that. 

 

@Aureilia, Mirrors edge time trials were insanly fun, and it has made me better in the game. 


 

I don't think they were supposed to be able to do that. Lol

 

Nice touch that DICE left in the skills you can attain though.

 

I didn't get that far with the leaderboards except on one DLC map.



Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 137 (247 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/16/2012
Offline
2 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

[ Edited ]
Sep 27, 2012

Treasure trophies are rediculous. Period.
I'm ok with challenging trophies like Overseer or grinding ones like 50 wins but treasure trophies are luck based. You can't do anything better next time to get the treasures you need. All you can do is just play the same mode over and over again and hope that one day you get what you're looking for. This is a paramount of stupidity. Unfortunately, ND doesn't give a [you chose the word] about what players think. I've spent 7 days trying to get 2 missing treasures to complete 2 last trophies. All I got is wasted time and frustration. I've had enough. FHC is the last dlc I've purchased for ND games.

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 137 (235 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
2852 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 27, 2012

vladislavs999 wrote:

Treasure trophies are rediculous. Period.
I'm ok with challenging trophies like Overseer or grinding ones like 50 wins but treasure trophies are luck based. You can't do anything better next time to get the treasures you need. All you can do is just play the same mode over and over again and hope that one day you get what you're looking for. This is a paramount of stupidity. Unfortunately, ND doesn't give a [you chose the word] about what players think. I've spent 7 days trying to get 2 missing treasures to complete 2 last trophies. All I got is wasted time and frustration. I've had enough. FHC is the last dlc I've purchased for ND games.


only 7 days? you give up way to quickly, the last treasure took me 4 months:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 137 (201 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 03/31/2012
Offline
187 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 27, 2012
I'm still missing one treasure. I farmed treasures on numerous occasions before the trophy patch, and I have played co-op almost non-stop since the trophy patch was released. I could've gotten platinum in games like Warhawk or Star Ocean 4 in half the time that I've spent looking for co-op treasures. Is this reasonable? The persons responsible for the treasure system and the treasure trophies are simply put incompetent at their job. Please send them to the basement to take of rats or something and never let them get anywhere near the game development process again.
Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 137 (191 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 11/01/2011
Offline
620 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

[ Edited ]
Sep 27, 2012

I'm a bit of a trophy hunter. Why am I not angry? I'm actually happy with the patch, gives replay value. Plus I like challenge.

Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 137 (189 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 12/19/2010
Offline
550 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

[ Edited ]
Sep 27, 2012

BurstLimitKL wrote:

I'm a bit of a trophy hunter. Why am I not angry? I'm actually happy with the patch, gives replay value. Plus I like challenge.


I have to reply because you bring up the term "challenge" (aka something involving difficulty or skill) which I find differs between many people who think that time and repetition = difficulty. So let me give you how I, and possibly many others, view challenges/skill-based trophies versus those time and repetion based ones of Naughty Dog.

 

Clarifying the terms difficulty/skill-level vs time/repetition:

 

While time is considered a factor of difficulty for some, for most trophy hunters time does not equal difficulty. This arises from forums like PS3Trophies.org where when one votes on how difficult a platinum is to obtain one is not supposed to factor time into the equation. Let me explain why.

 

Let’s say that grandpa is less skilled than the grandson. The grandson gets a platinum in some fast-paced action hack-n-slash in 30 hours and the Grandpa gets the platinum in some RPG in 300 hours. The grandpa could never get the platinum in the action game playing the extreme difficulty because his reflexes are too slow, while he was able to farm the treasures by repeating similar turn-based battles over and over while the grandson was at school. So while the RPG game took longer to platinum, the action game was still more difficult in terms of the skill-level of the player. The grandson might never get the platinum in the RPG because he just doesn’t have enough time on his hands to do so. Time/repetition thus does not necessarily constitute nor does it measure difficulty/skill-level. While something challenging can take a long time to master, just because something takes a long time does not mean it must be challenging.

 

For example in UC3 you need to get 100 ‘in the soft spots’. If Naughty dog reduced this to 20 ‘in the soft spots’ the challenge would be equally challenging or difficult as getting 100 even though it would take you 80% less time. This is because after a dozen or so you understand perfectly well how to get it and you spend the rest of your time just repeating the same thing over and over again with minimal advancement in skill-level. So when I say I want a reduction in how long it takes to do certain trophies, I am not saying that they are going to be less challenging, just less time consuming: as the challenge is still intact unless it really takes you 50 or 100 repetitions before you understand how to do something well. At some point your skill level peaks and only time and repetition become factors.

 

Some people say that the None shall pass trophy is difficult. I disagree. This trophy is incredibly annoying, frustrating, makes me angry and so on, BUT IT IS NOT DIFFICULT OR CHALLENGING; it just has much time and repetition involved. If it were lowered to 25, it would still be as challenging as if you had to do 50 (well for me anyways, as I got a handle on them by 15 or so; afterwards it was just waiting for similar circumstances and repeating actions I already know how to do over and over again). Personally I think a trophy like this should have been "get 2 none shall pass medals in one match." That is a challenge and it is not inherently time consuming besides requiring enough time for a player to reach the level of proficiency required to get two of them in a single match.

 

So I want uncreative trophy creators like those at Naughty Dog to start removing endless hours of unnecessary time and repetition from multiplayer trophies and make the time only necessary to reach one's maximum skill or potential. Because once one has figured out how to do something well, it is not fun and it is a waste of time to have to repeat actions over and over again...unless Naughty Dog actually thinks most of you players suck that badly that you need to do 50, 100, 150 before they are sure you know what you are doing. I say 'you' because I am skilled and a fast learner to get the gist of most of these things by 10 to 15; afterwards I am bored out of my mind, partly because I already know I can do it and there is no challenge left.

 

So I guess I should say that I want trophies to be challenging, but not unnecessarily repetitive. It's funny how in the past several years I have watched multiplayer games get trophies with more and more wins, or more and more actions being repeated. I'm started to think that they are catering to dumb people. By having to repeat something over and over again, any player will be able to see a visual number of their progress. I think maybe developers are afraid that today's gamers can't handle multiplayer trophies where you must only complete one incredibly difficult action one time because they would lose all hope without a progress bar. A conspiracy is afoot. Enjoy your Soylent Green trophies. :smileywink:

 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 137 (167 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 10/01/2008
Offline
577 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 27, 2012

Eternal21 wrote:

And let's not forget the biggest reason why people have an issue with U3 DLC trophies.  They were not retroactive.  For that reason alone I have no problem with people boosting.


 

I don't understand why ND did not do that, every other MP game that got trophies added became retroactive in awarding them, at least for every game I have played.  Battlefiled Bad Company for a great example, I remember patching that and when I went online next about 15-20 trophies popped up in a row.

------

How to deal with bombs: "let the bomb down me" - DEATH__MACHINIST
Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 137 (166 Views)
Reply
0 Likes