Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Gaming Beast
Registered: 09/11/2012
Online
1957 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 25, 2012

Aureilia wrote:

shadowlibraboy wrote:
trophies shouldn't be "easy" because ten a platinum trophy wouldn't mean anything.

Trophies should be difficult, but fun.

I am fine with these online trophies being difficult, since it gives you a challenge, but does not count towards the platinum.

Online trophies should never cout towards platinum, because is it complete bullsh*t when you can't platinum a game like Mercanries 2 because EA disconnected the servers.

And I need to find 6 people to get my last trophy in skate 3 for platinum.

So basically: trophies should be challenging, But still fun, but definitely not easy. And online trophies should be extra: not count towards platinum.

I am fine with the trophies ND added to the mutiplayer, they are extra, reward you for playing the MP and do not block you from getting a platinum.

Difficult - Mirrors Edge time trials but a lot of fun to do, don't include rage and actually depend on a players skill or learning capabilties.

 

Stupid - Treasure drops - relies on 100% luck, any developer who makes a trophy that requires no skill needs to rethink how games are made and what the purpose of them really is.

 

ND have still lost their way really.

 

I don't trash Wipeout HD's platinum. It's attainable, I'm just not good enough at the game to attain it. Requires a lot of skill at the game that I just don't have and never will have. Even if it does possibly break that barrier of what is difficult or impossible to me, but the key point there is what is impossible to me isn't impossible to someone else. So I'd have to accept that it's not that bad considering there could have been trophies that require luck over skill.

 


I was actually in the top 100 in mirrors edge time trials, the highest being 30 something. It's not hard but the only hard time trial was the "office", that was impossible for me to complete. 

EminentFury= GOAT Debater/intellectual Conservative.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

34gau1c.jpg

Message 51 of 137 (316 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Offline
2856 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 25, 2012

wais_45 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

shadowlibraboy wrote:
trophies shouldn't be "easy" because ten a platinum trophy wouldn't mean anything.

Trophies should be difficult, but fun.

I am fine with these online trophies being difficult, since it gives you a challenge, but does not count towards the platinum.

Online trophies should never cout towards platinum, because is it complete bullsh*t when you can't platinum a game like Mercanries 2 because EA disconnected the servers.

And I need to find 6 people to get my last trophy in skate 3 for platinum.

So basically: trophies should be challenging, But still fun, but definitely not easy. And online trophies should be extra: not count towards platinum.

I am fine with the trophies ND added to the mutiplayer, they are extra, reward you for playing the MP and do not block you from getting a platinum.

Difficult - Mirrors Edge time trials but a lot of fun to do, don't include rage and actually depend on a players skill or learning capabilties.

 

Stupid - Treasure drops - relies on 100% luck, any developer who makes a trophy that requires no skill needs to rethink how games are made and what the purpose of them really is.

 

ND have still lost their way really.

 

I don't trash Wipeout HD's platinum. It's attainable, I'm just not good enough at the game to attain it. Requires a lot of skill at the game that I just don't have and never will have. Even if it does possibly break that barrier of what is difficult or impossible to me, but the key point there is what is impossible to me isn't impossible to someone else. So I'd have to accept that it's not that bad considering there could have been trophies that require luck over skill.

 


I was actually in the top 100 in mirrors edge time trials, the highest being 30 something. It's not hard but the only hard time trial was the "office", that was impossible for me to complete. 


The office was indeed very hard, I always failed to do the walljump to the roof of the office, but after a few tries I made it :smileyhappy:

Mirror's Edge is the platinum I'm most proud of, it requires a lot of skill and there's hardly any luck required, I hope they make a sequel, but it's to long ago now so I doubt it :smileysad:

Message 52 of 137 (301 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Offline
13525 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 26, 2012

wais_45 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

shadowlibraboy wrote:
trophies shouldn't be "easy" because ten a platinum trophy wouldn't mean anything.

Trophies should be difficult, but fun.

I am fine with these online trophies being difficult, since it gives you a challenge, but does not count towards the platinum.

Online trophies should never cout towards platinum, because is it complete bullsh*t when you can't platinum a game like Mercanries 2 because EA disconnected the servers.

And I need to find 6 people to get my last trophy in skate 3 for platinum.

So basically: trophies should be challenging, But still fun, but definitely not easy. And online trophies should be extra: not count towards platinum.

I am fine with the trophies ND added to the mutiplayer, they are extra, reward you for playing the MP and do not block you from getting a platinum.

Difficult - Mirrors Edge time trials but a lot of fun to do, don't include rage and actually depend on a players skill or learning capabilties.

 

Stupid - Treasure drops - relies on 100% luck, any developer who makes a trophy that requires no skill needs to rethink how games are made and what the purpose of them really is.

 

ND have still lost their way really.

 

I don't trash Wipeout HD's platinum. It's attainable, I'm just not good enough at the game to attain it. Requires a lot of skill at the game that I just don't have and never will have. Even if it does possibly break that barrier of what is difficult or impossible to me, but the key point there is what is impossible to me isn't impossible to someone else. So I'd have to accept that it's not that bad considering there could have been trophies that require luck over skill.

 


I was actually in the top 100 in mirrors edge time trials, the highest being 30 something. It's not hard but the only hard time trial was the "office", that was impossible for me to complete. 


 

I can't remember the mission but I had huge difficulty with the one with the actual AI in it. That took me a year. Not even kidding, but I never actually got angry with it, I knew the reason I wasn't getting what I wanted was because I hadn't figured out a good route to take.

 

I love time trial events though, they promote getting better at the game, having them tied to trophies only improves the overall skill level of the player. Can't really have that in Uncharted, well I guess they could have created some type of race mode even though it would have looked hugely out of place.

 

I also hate trophies requiring players to collect items... They promote nothing except hidden items which anyone can attain. I hate them but I'm not going to argue over them as they don't really hurt anyones progress.

 

I really dislike things that are not attainable through playing the game properly though, I mean seriously do you have to be that desperate to keep your numbers up? I don't think ND realize the trophies can have the power to keep people playing but make them horrifyingly bad with a lack of thought (The treasure DLC trophies) and people will just walk away ignoring the whole set. Much like I have. I'll only do things for the community from now and possibly look in on a few labs.



Message 53 of 137 (268 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 12/19/2010
Offline
550 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 26, 2012

You guys got me thinking about singleplayer vs multiplayer trophies again. Out of all the singleplayer games I have ever played and all the singleplayer trophies I have attempted there is only one that I ever questioned and thought should be changed. Gold Standard for GT5: the only reason I disliked and continue to dislike this trophy is because I strongly suspect that most people (but not all people) who got this trophy were only able to do so by buying a racing wheel. Doing it with a dualshock controller is nearly impossible for most (including myself). I was able to gold 1 of the 3 required races but barely able to get silvers in the other two. I tried for many months only racing those three races with the required car. Then I finally decided to go to the store and purchase a steering wheel and was able to gold them within a few days even though I had no prior experience with a gaming wheel. I still think the times required should be lowered (actually increased in proper racing terminology) slightly for DS3 users so that the % of DS3 users who get golds is equal to the % of wheel users who get gold.

 

But apart from this one instance where the controller type and the ability to purchase a racing wheel made a difference in getting a trophy, I have never questioned singleplayer trophies because the challenge for singleplayer trophies is always identical for everyone who attempts them no matter where or when they attempt them. This is not true for multiplayer trophies, hence why there often are complaints surrounding some of them.

 

Photobucket
Message 54 of 137 (249 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 07/14/2011
Offline
631 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2012

You've already answered yourself.
All treasure hunters like you think trophies= work thats why you all hate ND, because they give you work to do.
I would never never never buy a racing wheel just for a trophy.
That's kinda retarded from the way i see it.(no offense)

Message 55 of 137 (244 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Offline
13525 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 26, 2012

BirthBS wrote:

You've already answered yourself.
All treasure hunters like you think trophies= work thats why you all hate ND, because they give you work to do.
I would never never never buy a racing wheel just for a trophy.
That's kinda retarded from the way i see it.(no offense)


 

Isn't the problem actually the complete opposite? ND haven't given anyone work to do, you can only excel at your job if the end goal is realistically attainable.



Message 56 of 137 (225 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 07/14/2011
Offline
631 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 26, 2012
Yes of course, i hate treasure trophies too but so many people complained about the others.
"It take so long to achieve 50 xxx medals or 50 xxx wins....lets boost them.**bleep** ND".
This is also a problem...
And btw the treasure system will hopefully be fixed in 1.15 so let's wait.
Message 57 of 137 (217 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Offline
13525 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 26, 2012

BirthBS wrote:
Yes of course, i hate treasure trophies too but so many people complained about the others.
"It take so long to achieve 50 xxx medals or 50 xxx wins....lets boost them.**bleep** ND".
This is also a problem...
And btw the treasure system will hopefully be fixed in 1.15 so let's wait.

I actually don't care about those. They are realistically attainable through playing the game.

 

I have seen people boosting those trophies. I was just like.. Mm... Okay. You only have to win 50 times it's not like it will even take that long to do it properly.

 



Message 58 of 137 (212 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 12/19/2010
Offline
550 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2012

Aureilia wrote:

BirthBS wrote:
Yes of course, i hate treasure trophies too but so many people complained about the others.
"It take so long to achieve 50 xxx medals or 50 xxx wins....lets boost them.**bleep** ND".
This is also a problem...
And btw the treasure system will hopefully be fixed in 1.15 so let's wait.

I actually don't care about those. They are realistically attainable through playing the game.

 

I have seen people boosting those trophies. I was just like.. Mm... Okay. You only have to win 50 times it's not like it will even take that long to do it properly.

 


What is your definition of a "long time". I grew up with games that normally required much less than 100 hours to complete. Once in a while I would play RPGs who were proud and advertize that their game had '100+ hours of gameplay' because it was abnormal for players to spend that kind of time playing. Currently many online multiplayer games are essentially 'second lives' for those who play the game the many developers start looking at making trophies aimed at those who play what normal people would call an excessive amount of time so trophies are heading down the 'abnormal' route. many players who spend that abnormal amount of time playing will not see any problem because for them it's normal, but if you started looking at their positions on a bell curve you would start to see how extreme of a position they are in. 

 

Personally I think multiplayer games should require at most 200 hours to complete all the associated PSN trophies legit. Any more time you want to spend on the game better be for the game itself, in-game unlocakbles, leaderboards, etc. Right now I doubt many players have made a true calculation but I ESTIMATE that completing all the UC3 multiplayer trophies legit is probably going to take 500+ hours easy and may take some up to 1000 hours.

 

So how long do you think should be a normal amount of time to complete some silver and bronze trophies (since there is not a gold or platinum in sight)? I suspect it's just that children and adults see and value time very differently.  

 

 

Photobucket
Message 59 of 137 (202 Views)
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Offline
13525 posts
 

Re: Views of a Trophy Hunter

Sep 26, 2012

Hastatus_Atratus wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

BirthBS wrote:
Yes of course, i hate treasure trophies too but so many people complained about the others.
"It take so long to achieve 50 xxx medals or 50 xxx wins....lets boost them.**bleep** ND".
This is also a problem...
And btw the treasure system will hopefully be fixed in 1.15 so let's wait.

I actually don't care about those. They are realistically attainable through playing the game.

 

I have seen people boosting those trophies. I was just like.. Mm... Okay. You only have to win 50 times it's not like it will even take that long to do it properly.

 


What is your definition of a "long time". I grew up with games that normally required much less than 100 hours to complete. Once in a while I would play RPGs who were proud and advertize that their game had '100+ hours of gameplay' because it was abnormal for players to spend that kind of time playing. Currently many online multiplayer games are essentially 'second lives' for those who play the game the many developers start looking at making trophies aimed at those who play what normal people would call an excessive amount of time so trophies are heading down the 'abnormal' route. many players who spend that abnormal amount of time playing will not see any problem because for them it's normal, but if you started looking at their positions on a bell curve you would start to see how extreme of a position they are in. 

 

Personally I think multiplayer games should require at most 200 hours to complete all the associated PSN trophies legit. Any more time you want to spend on the game better be for the game itself, in-game unlocakbles, leaderboards, etc. Right now I doubt many players have made a true calculation but I ESTIMATE that completing all the UC3 multiplayer trophies legit is probably going to take 500+ hours easy and may take some up to 1000 hours.

 

So how long do you think should be a normal amount of time to complete some silver and bronze trophies (since there is not a gold or platinum in sight)? I suspect it's just that children and adults see and value time very differently.  

 

 


I'm not dissing the 50 wins trophies, so maybe you got the wrong impression.

 

However. I don't think multiplayer should have any trophies for any game, multiplayer is an addition to the single player experience to any game unless they are games that are built solely for multiplayer IE: Warhawk

 

The trophies in Uncharted 3 in particular the treasure collection related ones that came with the DLC are not reasonable to expect people to complete.

 

Most importantly, a trophy is a reward for accomplishing something however if you have attained the treasure DLC related trophies the only thing you have accomplished is proving how much time you wasted which could have been pro-actively better spent in real life.

 

This coming from someone who plays stuff usually most the time and rarely goes out unless it's a Friday I would have to confess, the Uncharted 3 treasure trophies made me go outside. I'm not prepared to sink over 1000 hours into something with no end goal in sight.

 

What you say about value and time I don't really get the point you are trying to make, but what I will say is there is zero value in attaining the treasure trophies, they require no skill, they do however require you to live in your parents basement and have no social abilities what-so-ever.



Message 60 of 137 (173 Views)