Jul 29 2012
By: Goldhawk1 Keyblade Wielder 10160 posts

Uncharted 4 needs to be better

46 replies 1838 views Edited Jul 29, 2012

I'm playing through U3 and I can't believe how much it sucks.

I love U2.  U1 had terrible gameplay but other than that it is a really good game....but U3 is just so aweful. 

Story mode:

You guys really lost sight in what was important.  The story doesn't really flow as well as it does in U2.  We skip from scene to scene and it's like we're playing tid bits of U3's story, rather than the whole thing.

You guys went too realistic with this one.  Everything is explained and what not but in the other games it was realistic until the very end then we got some crazy mysterious beings put into play. 

The shooting mechanics in this game's SP/MP just suck.  SP it doesn't feel like I'm making contact as much as in MP and in general U2's aiming system was much more fluid and somewhat dynamic.  This game is a pain to play even with alternate aim settings. 

Movement and animations in U3 went beyond backwards... U2 really improved these mechanics and then you decided to go BACKWARDS to U1... you improved U1 mechanics isntead of refining what made U2 so great.  I dislike seeing my character move like an idiot too.  This isn't "increased environmental reaction" the guy  moves like an idiot.  He sits behind cover and looks around like he's mentally retarded and when you get into areas that aren't flat ground he stumbles and has to touch everything.  The movement in this game is so weird and compared to MP isn't as fun to play.  It's slower and you stumble around a lot which makes gun fights a lot less fun. 

AI is stupid in this game.  MP and SP the AI move unrealistically and move around the maps like idiots.  I just watched sully try to help me fight and he's waving his gun around and running in stupid patterns....really?  Why can't AI actually kill enemies either?  they're running around in the open and shooting other AI but they can't actually kill eachother...

Melee in this game is too floppy.  It's really cartoony and when you're hitting someone their body moves in ridiculously unrealistic ways. 

The boat level makes absolutely no sense what so ever.  It's a cool addition but it makes no sense story wise...just feels like a random add on. 

Grenade throwing mechanics in this game are like U1...terrilbe and you make the throwing animation before the grenade even leaves your hand...then after the entire grenade throwing animation is made it leaves your hand (at least in MP anyawy)

Lots of bugs/glitches

graphics are weird.  The jungle that introduces the chateau looks TERRIBLE during the cinematic but once you start playing it looks absolutely breath taking.  How is this even possible? 

MP:

Graphics aren't as good and character models are lacking

Huge lack of creativity in the MP department this time....compared to U2 it's lacking an insane amount. 

Leveling up is too easy, and adding a legacy system was an aweful idea, especially adding more legacies when everyone is sitting comfortably with their leveled up boosters.

U3 maps are very boring looking and very "CoD" like. 

U3 Mp objective thumbnails look terrible and the hill sizes are aweful compared to U2. 

Power plays suck

Not enough loadouts

Lots of matchmaking bugs along with hirrible matchmaking when it comes to matching people up with good connections and skill/level

customization is lacking

gun mechanics are terrible

lag is insane in this game more so than uncharted 2

Just the lack of polish is noticable in tons of levels...I'm sure after I go back and play some more U3 I'll think of more things I could add to this thread....

Please ND from a dedicated fan, please think through U4 more/better than U3 was and polish the hell out of it...

Message 1 of 47 (1,838 Views)
Wastelander
593 posts

Re: Uncharted 4 needs to be better

Jul 29, 2012
Uncharted 3 was made by Naughty Dog's B team, which explains why it was lackluster.

Hopefully Uncharted 4 is more like Uncharted 2, preferably on next generation hardware.
Message 2 of 47 (1,837 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Jul 29, 2012

Couldn't agree more. 

I honestly wonder why they'd split that team... why do something like that?  They could have easily finished off uncharted 3 as a whole and then worked on the last of us as a launch title for the ps4... that sounds like a much better idea to me because we'd have:

1. A better uncharted 3

2. Great launch titles/console sellers for the ps4

3. The last of us would be even better

4. Uncharted 4 would look AMAZING because their work with the last of us would help them get used to the ps4 tech...

I honestly can't believe this game got so many high scores or even game of the year awards.  The game is still pretty good, but all these really terrible things are really annoying me.  U3 could have been so much better...I absolutely loved it when I first got it but I was blinded by fanboyism...it took U3's laggy and broken MP to get me to realize that U3 ISN'T as good as it could be and as it should be.

Coming from ND that's saying a lot.  After a game like U2, I'd never expect a game like this to come from their department...

Message 3 of 47 (1,836 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
593 posts

Jul 29, 2012
I personally think they should have put off Uncharted 3 for the PS4 and just finished The Last of Us. The thing about Uncharted 3 is that Naughty Dog admittedly took notes from Call of Duty.
Message 4 of 47 (1,834 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Jul 29, 2012

Or that too.  U3 could have been bigger and better on the ps4... but then again U3 on the Ps3 really put uncharted "on the map" for gamers...because no one knew what uncharted was...I bet a lot still don't. 

But the past is the past.  I really hope they don't go this route with uncharted again.... U3 really makes me want to give up on the franchise.  I was hoping for U3 for so long hoping it'd be a bigger and better game and do what U2 does better.  But instead they went backwards and now I'm sitting here hoping U4 will just blow us all the way...

I really don't want to buy U4 play it for almost a year and hope U5 finally gets it right...

Message 5 of 47 (1,832 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Jul 29, 2012

Another thing, why aren't the character's lips moving during gameplay?  The mouths move like they're less than whispering or the lips are off if they even move at all..

Message 6 of 47 (1,824 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Jul 29, 2012

I'm actually surprised I'm reading this. I get that a lot of people prefer Uncharted 2 but I've never quite understood how someone can like Uncharted 2 yet dislike Uncharted 3. To me they are both fantastic games and I don't quite get how people can find only one of them to be good. Is this an actual dislike of Uncharted 3, or were you just underwhelmed?

I've never been able to decide which single player I prefer, because I find that there are some things that U3 did better and some things that U2 did better, so overall it balances for me.

I prefer the gameplay in Uncharted 3. I think the melee combat is massively improved; I find it quite clunky in Uncharted 2 when compared. I just love running around and punching people (in game), so some of the melee sections are some of my favourite bits.

I also think the set pieces are phenomenal. The chateau level is possibly my favourite level in any Uncharted game, maybe tying with Desperate Times from U2.

I've never had any problems with the shooting mechanics. I can tell that they are different to Uncharted 2, but I don't find one to be better than the other. Even before the alternate aim settings came out, I was fine with it, it just took me a bit of time to adjust. I can understand why they may cause problems though.

Graphics-wise, I love it. I found the single player to have incredible graphics, improved over the second game. Some bits in the game do look particularly beautiful: Colombian rooftops, French chateau, Yemen, the desert and the city at the end. I haven't noticed any issues with graphics being inconsistent, but I haven't checked. I'll make sure to look at the cutscene that introduces chateau and see what I think.

Onto the story. Uncharted 2 definitely has a better structure to its story. everything was clearly planned out and everything fits together nicely. It all flows together perfectly. This is missing from Uncharted 3, but in its place I find that they've added more mystery and more plot twists, which I felt were missing from Uncharted 2. The story in Uncharted 3 does have its problems: the cruise ship bit is unnecessary (although awesome) and towards the end Salim just disappears as though they had nothing more to do with him. However I love the story between Drake and Sully through the game.

I think Uncharted 2 does have the stronger story, but I don't think that the story in Uncharted 3 is bad by any means. It should take a higher priority in Uncharted 4 though. If they can get a story structured as well as U2's with the same emotional impact as U3's, Uncharted 4 will probably be the best game EVER.

I won't go into details about the multiplayer side of the game, there's enough of that in the multiplayer section. I do find myself having more fun in Uncharted 3 than I ever did in Uncharted 2, so they must have done something right. I do prefer the overall multiplayer experience in U3, but as I feel I've said many times, there are some things Uncharted 2 did better.

I think with all of the feedback people have given on these forums, Uncharted 4 will be much better, because they will know exactly what to keep, what to improve on and what to revert back to how it was in U2.

Anyway, just my opinion. Thank you if you read it all. If you didn't, I don't blame you.

Message 7 of 47 (1,819 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Jul 30, 2012

Well cinema man, I like the uncharted series as I'm sure you know..but it's just they could have done such a better job on U3. 

They got TONS of praise about the shooting, the animations, the smooth and interesting story... then Uncharted 3 just took a totally different route.  It's more urban and actiony to desolate and actiony....where U2 had bits of action and bits of story. 

There are just so many aspects where uncharted 3 doesn't deliver.  The entire game feels like it's in a different universe than U2... but it's supposed to be a sequel. 

Even down to the enemies I'm very unhappy.  They ALL look the same!  Even in the cutscene where cutter finds you and the spiders attack... both the random thugs are the exact same looking...

Uncharted 2 did almost everything better... there are things I like about U3 though...like grenade throwback, sprint in the MP, uploading vids online/to the xmb, and certain sequences in the story mode (I just got through the RPG part in syria and that was pretty dang sweet)

but it's just a pain and I feel like I should just put this game away and let it collect dust on the shelf. 

Message 8 of 47 (1,814 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Jul 30, 2012

Yeah, I completely get that the game does feel different, I've just never found the differences to be bad. The story didn't take top priority like it should have so it wasn't as good as the second game but I still love it because of the other things it did right.

I don't quite get your point about enemies looking the same. The example you gave does sound like a particularly bad example, but in Uncharted 2 you fight exactly the same enemies throughout the entire game (not counting the guardians), whereas in Uncharted 3 the enemies go from suited agents to Rameses' pirates and then the desert agents. I thought they did a good job of mixing it up.

As I've said, I can easily understand the things that you think Uncharted 3 has done worse (even if they weren't an issue for me). I can easily understand if you said that it was a step backwards but still a good game nonetheless, but I still can't quite understand an actual dislike for the game.

Do you find it bad, or just worse than it should have been?

Message 9 of 47 (1,804 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2305 posts

Jul 30, 2012

Goldhawk1 wrote:

I'm playing through U3 and I can't believe how much it sucks.

I love U2.  U1 had terrible gameplay but other than that it is a really good game....but U3 is just so aweful. 

Although U2 was better, you make it seem like U3 is horrible game...

Goldhawk1 wrote:

You guys went too realistic with this one.  Everything is explained and what not but in the other games it was realistic until the very end then we got some crazy mysterious beings put into play. 

There was crazy mysterious things put into play. Although it wasn't real.

Plus, I prefer this game to be realistic enough instead of having Drake chase after a random villain that looking for something supernatural again like in the first two games.

Message 10 of 47 (1,795 Views)
0 Likes