Fender Bender
2290 posts

Re: Uncharted 3- Not As Original As You Think

Sep 16, 2012

Well, I agree most of it is copied. But, I look at it as a mix n mash of all the things that made other games great brought into one big pot: Uncharted 3.

Message 21 of 39 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1438 posts

Sep 16, 2012

DoomBringer232 wrote:

A recent thread has reminded me how much Uncharted has copied from other games, right down to the main menu. Don't get me wrong, I love Uncharted, but is that hard to be original?

Main Menu- copy of MW2 and MW3 main menus

Medal Kickbacks- it's not hard to tell that COD killstreaks were in mind when this feature was created

Sprinting- copied off of a lot of other games, although it is the most similar to the sprinting system in Star Wars Battlefront 2. I liked it better in UC2 when there was no sprinting. It was one of many things Uncharted 2 did differently

Grenade Throwbacks- copied off the COD grenade system. And I know this because who can throw back a grenade in real life?

Weapon Mods- ND went overboard and even copied some of the mods themselves (rate of fire, clip size) I know some of you are saying "But weapon mods were in UC2 CoOp". Yes they were, and UC3 would've been fine and original without them in Competitive.

Hitmarkers- I remember in UC2 when the recitle turned red whenever we hit someone. Now we get the generic little lines that appear in almost all games now.

Buddy System- does the Squad System from BF3 ring a bell?

Loadouts- this one's not hard to tell, is it? Because loadouts that are featured in every game are mroe original than fighting over key weapons that only appeared in UC2 as far as I know of

I know a lot of you are saying "You don't work at ND, how do you know these ideas were copied?"  And some of these things make the game better, sprinting being an example. Remember, these are just things that are in Uncharted 3 that appeared in other games that were released at an earlier date.

The day this came out, what we all saw on our screens, was pure mimicry

My PS3 has YLOD -_-
Message 22 of 39 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3959 posts

Sep 17, 2012
Killstreaks and Kickbacks are barley similar.

Killstreak (COD): Reward for getting Kills only. Rewarded with a very easy to use power weapon/vehicular weapon that generates more kills basically automatically.

Kickback (U3): Reward for getting medals (easier than kills only). Rewarded with a player character enhancement or power weapon that still takes some skill to get kills. Hard to get a lot of kills with even the best kickbacks utilized (unlike COD).

Kinda similar. A different take for sure.
Message 23 of 39 (216 Views)
Wastelander
864 posts

Sep 17, 2012

Oh noes, they added in a few staple shooter aspects. And they added in some other aspects in order to "compete" with some big time titles like CoD. How dare they.

Message 24 of 39 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1424 posts

Sep 17, 2012

One way Uncharted is different from CoD: It's fun.

Message 25 of 39 (210 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3959 posts

Sep 17, 2012
Exactly ^^

Uncharted trumps most other shooters in the Fun factor. Perfect? No. Fun (when not laggy)? Heck yes!
Message 26 of 39 (199 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Sep 17, 2012

And the characters breathe air so they copied humans and life and stuff.

Message 27 of 39 (186 Views)
Lombax Warrior
176 posts

Sep 17, 2012
Let's not forget about "Campaign".
Uncharted has no military crap in their story whatsoever.

They couldn't have just called it story mode?
----
Message 28 of 39 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Sep 17, 2012
If they didn't CoDify the game, they wouldn't get so much players. Look at the original infie game Journey. Only a few are willing to play, even fewer willing to actually BUY the game rather than borrow.

Truth is, if you aren't the least bit Call if Duty in a sense, you don't have much in the shooting games industry.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 29 of 39 (154 Views)
Gaming Beast
2362 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 17, 2012

DoomBringer232 wrote:

A recent thread has reminded me how much Uncharted has copied from other games, right down to the main menu. Don't get me wrong, I love Uncharted, but is that hard to be original?

Main Menu- copy of MW2 and MW3 main menus

Medal Kickbacks- it's not hard to tell that COD killstreaks were in mind when this feature was created

Sprinting- copied off of a lot of other games, although it is the most similar to the sprinting system in Star Wars Battlefront 2. I liked it better in UC2 when there was no sprinting. It was one of many things Uncharted 2 did differently

Grenade Throwbacks- copied off the COD grenade system. And I know this because who can throw back a grenade in real life?

Weapon Mods- ND went overboard and even copied some of the mods themselves (rate of fire, clip size) I know some of you are saying "But weapon mods were in UC2 CoOp". Yes they were, and UC3 would've been fine and original without them in Competitive.

Hitmarkers- I remember in UC2 when the recitle turned red whenever we hit someone. Now we get the generic little lines that appear in almost all games now.

Buddy System- does the Squad System from BF3 ring a bell?

Loadouts- this one's not hard to tell, is it? Because loadouts that are featured in every game are mroe original than fighting over key weapons that only appeared in UC2 as far as I know of

I know a lot of you are saying "You don't work at ND, how do you know these ideas were copied?"  And some of these things make the game better, sprinting being an example. Remember, these are just things that are in Uncharted 3 that appeared in other games that were released at an earlier date.

1. How the actual menu looks is an insignificant thing as long as it doesnt look horrible.

2. Kickbacks are obviously related to killstreaks but at least we dont have any chopper gunners or tactical nukes.

3. Sprinting is naturally added to like every game, its evolution and in U2 if you are **bleep** much die instantly after 1.05. In U3 you can get away by sprinting unless the enemy lags alot (which is unfortunately very common).

4. Grenade throwbacks arent really that similar to the CoD ones since no one does it in CoD.

5. Weapon mods would obviously be added to a game that is evolving. If the game was too similar to U2 it wouldnt be fun at all. At least ND dares to change something (although some of it are in the noobfriendly direction, the majority of things they added are good) which is good for the sake of the survival of the franchise.

6. Its easier to see hitmarkers than a red reticule.

7. Buddy system is like the little brother to the squad system that every BF has had since 2005 with BF2 yes

8. I agree but I have to admit it, load-outs makes the game more variating than the previous Smiley Happy

Ok now to be honest, how easy is it to make a game completely original?
Its impossible since everything has been featured earlier. You could say that U2 copied UT99 by having weapons scattered around the map and everyone spawn with the same gun, that makes U2 unoriginal?
U3 does have things from other games but it wont ever turn into CoD or BF.

Yes im still alive
Message 30 of 39 (144 Views)
0 Likes