Do you mean 
Sackboy
460 posts

Re: Uncharted 3- Not As Original As You Think

Sep 16, 2012

sanddude20 wrote:

DoomBringer232 wrote:

sanddude20 wrote:

I mean there is "copying" games and then there is putting in the common staples of that genre in the game. That is like saying "this game uses guns to shoot, thats so unoriginal cuz this game did it first"

Holy cow, thanks for reminding me about that one. I'm adding it to the list.

Lol but seriously, I know what you're saying, but I'm trying to say UC3 could've borrowed ideas from other games and changed them and it would be as good or better. For example about the hit markers, UC2 had them but they were different. The rectile turned red when you landed a bullet. Now we have little lines.

Red rectile = borrowed but unique

Little lines = borrowed and not unique 

I can understand that. I think there are some games that actually let you customize your reticle. Not like most people know what it looks like as all they see most of the time are these hit markers "(    )" since thats the one you see when blindfiring.

One unique thing that uncharted has that no other shooter does is that it has mixed in platforming elements, which is one of my favorite things of this game.

Agreed

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 39 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9668 posts

Sep 16, 2012
When or where did anyone even one time say Uncharted was original? Everyone and their mom knows that Uncharted 3 "borrowed" a LOT from CoD and didn't even do it right.
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 39 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2480 posts

Sep 16, 2012

**bleep** all you haters, blindly hating on this game because you can't do **bleep** in this game. GET OVER YOURSELVES

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 39 (159 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
400 posts

Sep 16, 2012

o please, if games didn't borrow ideas we'd still be playing 2d shooters

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 39 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

Sep 16, 2012

stentryk wrote:

**bleep** all you haters, blindly hating on this game because you can't do **bleep** in this game. GET OVER YOURSELVES

Lol? I'm actually pretty good at this game. I like it too. I'm just pointing out where Uncharted copied other games. I hope this was meant to be funny, if not, then I just lost 1 respect point for humanity.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 39 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Sep 16, 2012
Haters hating? Stentryk, how did you know that. You're a genius!!!!
Naughtydog, you must bring back Charlie Cutter in Uncharted 4.
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 39 (143 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1918 posts

Sep 16, 2012

To OP: No **bleep** it's not original.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 39 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

Sep 16, 2012

People don't seem to get that I actually enjoy this game a lot. Just pointing out some things, I'm not saying the game is awful. Did anyone read the whole post or just read the title?

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 39 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2179 posts

Sep 16, 2012

DoomBringer232 wrote:

People don't seem to get that I actually enjoy this game a lot. Just pointing out some things, I'm not saying the game is awful. Did anyone read the whole post or just read the title?

I read everything. And I gots to agree with Ownin. This stuff is pretty obvious. . ND probably would defend themselves by saying "we wanted to make Uncharted 3 more friendly to newer players who come from other shooters and are a bit more use to them". Well screw that ND, I want the Uncharted series to be unique to itself. I swear there are some things I like that they copied like the squad system, mods (they could've done this better but I like the idea), and things like sprint as bunny hopping in U2 was just plain stupid looking, but still there are things uncharted does that not many games do.  The idea of everybody spawning with the same weapons is a gametype in some games, but in Uncharted its in all modes. Thats my thoughts on Uncharted's originality but this is just me.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 39 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
225 posts

Sep 16, 2012

DoomBringer232 wrote:

A recent thread has reminded me how much Uncharted has copied from other games, right down to the main menu. Don't get me wrong, I love Uncharted, but is that hard to be original?

Main Menu- copy of MW2 and MW3 main menus

Alright. That's true there.

Medal Kickbacks- it's not hard to tell that COD killstreaks were in mind when this feature was created

Won't argue that it's influenced by CoD killstreaks, but they work different from that series. Borrow != copy

Sprinting- copied off of a lot of other games, although it is the most similar to the sprinting system in Star Wars Battlefront 2. I liked it better in UC2 when there was no sprinting. It was one of many things Uncharted 2 did differently

Sprinting in games is everywhere. Platformers, shooters, racers (in the form of turbo), and what have you. Who are you to say Uncharted "copied" sprinting when a game mechanic like that has been around since the original Super Mario Bros.?

Grenade Throwbacks- copied off the COD grenade system. And I know this because who can throw back a grenade in real life?

Maybe. I'm sure there're other games where you can throw back grenades. Besides, throwing back grenades in CoD games suck unless you have a perk that resets grenade timers (and said perks tend to be unpopular). Anyone who can throw a ball can throw back a grenade in real life - the question is, would you want to? Not a very good argument here.

Weapon Mods- ND went overboard and even copied some of the mods themselves (rate of fire, clip size) I know some of you are saying "But weapon mods were in UC2 CoOp". Yes they were, and UC3 would've been fine and original without them in Competitive.

Granted the mods are pretty much the same as what you'd see in CoD games, but what can you do in a somewhat realistic game (in atmosphere, not quite gameplay)? Would you rather have ND go the Insomniac route and put in rediculously crazy mods like bullets oozing acid, explosives that generate shockwaves, snipers that can shoot through walls, etc.? BTW, I think the majority of people don't mind mods save for the almighty Classic Mode coming out. That's different.

Hitmarkers- I remember in UC2 when the recitle turned red whenever we hit someone. Now we get the generic little lines that appear in almost all games now.

And many games besides U2 also had the reticle turn red whenever someone was hit. Ways of detecting hits goes back to games like Quake 3 and probably even further back. Not much of an argument here.

Buddy System- does the Squad System from BF3 ring a bell?

Granted that it's pretty much that. But the question is, so what?

Loadouts- this one's not hard to tell, is it? Because loadouts that are featured in every game are mroe original than fighting over key weapons that only appeared in UC2 as far as I know of

Alright. But you can also make the same argument for the originality of shooters back in the day, that so many of them had you pick up weapons instead of starting with them.

I know a lot of you are saying "You don't work at ND, how do you know these ideas were copied?"  And some of these things make the game better, sprinting being an example. Remember, these are just things that are in Uncharted 3 that appeared in other games that were released at an earlier date.

So borrowing ideas is equivalent to copying, huh?

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 39 (127 Views)