Reply
Jan 11 2013
By: wais_45 Fender Bender 2414 posts
Offline

U3 Status Report-Opinions Welcomed

[ Edited ]
21 replies 472 views Edited Jan 11, 2013

Intro: U3 has turned 1 years old a while back and I've decided to make a status report of the game. This thread will discuss anything some of this games problems or anything that was included in the online portion of the game from; lag, technical issues, kickbacks, etc, and I will go more in depth in the op when I get some discussion going around. People can choose and talk about any of the topics that I picked and I will add great responses to the OP (whether they're negative or positive responses towards U3). I'll ask serious of questions to help get some discussions going around. 

 

Lag:  Absolutely horrible. People hovering and moon walking like Michael Jackson, lag n’ roll occurring multiple times in a match, and people killing you in a split second is not fair and extremely rage worthy. Obviously ND did not learn from their mistake that they made in U2: Implementing legacy based matchmaking. Lag was bad before it was implemented but this just made it worse. A thread made by a great forumer Tapantaola made a thread on this issue: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-...

 

Summary: "How would it work:
On = find players with 5 connection bars (100ms maximum latency)
Off = find players ASAP regardless of latency" 

 

 Black Ops 2 has implemented lag and latency workarounds: Before entering matchmaking players are given the chance to their matchmaking preferences by pressing "square". "This places an upper limit on the ping/latency of the lobby/game you will join,"David Vondahaar Game Director. The only negative thing about this are the wait times (a minor problem because Black Ops 2 currently averages 600k players daily). 

 

What are your thoughts on lag at the moment? Black Ops 2 added a feature that can curve the lag and from personal experience, the amount of lag in Black Ops 2 is low. Do you think this can be added in U3? 

 

Weapon balance: No, im not advocating nerfs and buffs in this thread, but I would like to hear your thoughts on this issue. Do you think weapons are finally balance after a series of nerfs and buffs during U3's time? 

Rate of Fire: This modification is an absolute joke. Anybody constantly using this as their main weapon will NEVER get better at this game. How you say? Its with out a doubt anyone attaching this mod on their gun are only do so because people will die faster from your shots. People can easily level weapon expert to gold and they can get another attachment that makes the gun a total beast. The recoil is with the mod attached is an advantage because it would increase the chances of getting a headshot and increase the speed in which the enemy would die. I believe the mod should be nerfed (ND will never remove a modification) What are your thoughts on the ROF?

 

Emblems: Absolutely useless. I can essentially create anything I want with the option in Black Ops, but u3 has no variety and it doesn't open to creativity. Were you disappointed in the lack of options available?

 

Technical Issues: Oh. My.God. I honestly don't know how some of the technical fixes were not dealt with in the FIRST month of the games release. Here is some of the things that make U3 what it is today:

  1. Party Splitting: In the first month or so when I bought U3 this wasn't a problem for me because I barely partied up with anybody. When I started to party up a lot in the summer this issue has occurred 384848484 times and the amount of times I had to quit and get a loss because of this was 304348 times (yeah im exaggerating a bit but it does happen a lot). 
  2. The infinite spinning ring: Oh do I remember how much I watched the spinning dagger in uncharted 2. When I got U3 I thought this would change, and it did. It turned into the infinite spinning ring. I seriously dont know why this keeps happening and im not entirely sure if ND even knows this a serious problem, but this is a issue that needs to be acknowledge and fixed
  3. Inviting players/Joining player parties: I keep getting invites from players mid-game who are not even online. I did not know some of my psn friends were ghost. As for joining parties, at times I cannot even do that. I have to sign in and out to even get into a party. Im not sure if its my internet connection but other online games I own works perfectly fine when I try joining my friends parties.
  4. Removed from game:.....Courtesy of ND. I remember when I had about 990 losses, and I assured my self that I will not reach 1k losses (by partying up 247 lol) oh boy was I wrong. I swear I got removed from a match 8 times straight, followed by 2 losses by being in teams full of noobs (reaching 1k losses in 1 hour smh lol). Why does this happen? Is there a way for ND to fix this?

I'll stop there on the technical issues. How do you enjoy playing U3 despite all the technical issues that are persistent in the game?

 

Kickbacks: I think the kickbacks are fine at the moment, but what are your thoughts on it? Do you think its balanced? 

 

Booster: I like the new booster that were added (cloaked and monkey man ftw), but there is that one booster that is horrible (revenge I hate you so much you piece of crap!!). What are yout thoughts on the new boosters introduced, carried from u2, or ones you thought they could have made up?

 

In conclusion: the point of this thread is to get a status report on U3. I'll change the dat on the title every week and I will put great posts in the OP. I got great responses of Tack129 and FredFai but its somewhere deep in the U3 Facebook page so I have to get that. Also, you can write negative or positive things about U3. No negative attitude towards others or their opinions. Please. 

My Youtube Channel:

NG \\Wais
Message 1 of 22 (472 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 11/09/2012
Offline
131 posts
 

Re: U3 Status Report-Opinions Welcomed

Jan 11, 2013

About the Ping filter toggle, you said that BO2 implemented it but matchmaking doesn't suffer from wait times because the game averages about 600k players daily. What about UC3? I really have no idea how many players daily it averages, but I doubt it features as many as BO2. Thus, it might constitute a real problem when it comes to wait times. I mean, sometimes I have to wait minutes and minutes (especially when I'm in a party) to find players as it is, but if that option was added, then we're talking very long wait times. I think ND have taken this into consideration, and it's one of the reasons, if not the main reason why they haven't implemented it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 22 (444 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
Registered: 12/06/2011
Online
20306 posts
 

Re: U3 Status Report-Opinions Welcomed

Jan 11, 2013

X-Offender wrote:

About the Ping filter toggle, you said that BO2 implemented it but matchmaking doesn't suffer from wait times because the game averages about 600k players daily. What about UC3? I really have no idea how many players daily it averages, but I doubt it features as many as BO2. Thus, it might constitute a real problem when it comes to wait times. I mean, sometimes I have to wait minutes and minutes (especially when I'm in a party) to find players as it is, but if that option was added, then we're talking very long wait times. I think ND have taken this into consideration, and it's one of the reasons, if not the main reason why they haven't implemented it.


 

The player count is pretty low. This is pure speculation over the fact the game is a year old and many new games have come out since UC3 was released.

 

A ping toggle at this point would probably make incredibly high wait times for a good connection game. Even if there was a system that looked for good connection games first, I bet that it'll eventually just get to the point where you're fighting laggy foreigners again, just like now.

 

While the idea is great, it's hard at this point.

Message 3 of 22 (429 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 09/11/2012
Offline
2414 posts
 

Re: U3 Status Report-Opinions Welcomed

Jan 11, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

X-Offender wrote:

About the Ping filter toggle, you said that BO2 implemented it but matchmaking doesn't suffer from wait times because the game averages about 600k players daily. What about UC3? I really have no idea how many players daily it averages, but I doubt it features as many as BO2. Thus, it might constitute a real problem when it comes to wait times. I mean, sometimes I have to wait minutes and minutes (especially when I'm in a party) to find players as it is, but if that option was added, then we're talking very long wait times. I think ND have taken this into consideration, and it's one of the reasons, if not the main reason why they haven't implemented it.


 

The player count is pretty low. This is pure speculation over the fact the game is a year old and many new games have come out since UC3 was released.

 

A ping toggle at this point would probably make incredibly high wait times for a good connection game. Even if there was a system that looked for good connection games first, I bet that it'll eventually just get to the point where you're fighting laggy foreigners again, just like now.

 

While the idea is great, it's hard at this point.


I would estimate that U3 currently has 45k players. The highest I saw u2 was at 60k players, so im not even sure the highest U3 ever was. At this moment, Dag is right we don't know the exact number of players and the addition of a toggle this late would not be a great idea. 

My Youtube Channel:

NG \\Wais
Message 4 of 22 (414 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: U3 Status Report-Opinions Welcomed

Jan 11, 2013

X-Offender wrote:

About the Ping filter toggle, you said that BO2 implemented it but matchmaking doesn't suffer from wait times because the game averages about 600k players daily. What about UC3? I really have no idea how many players daily it averages, but I doubt it features as many as BO2. Thus, it might constitute a real problem when it comes to wait times. I mean, sometimes I have to wait minutes and minutes (especially when I'm in a party) to find players as it is, but if that option was added, then we're talking very long wait times. I think ND have taken this into consideration, and it's one of the reasons, if not the main reason why they haven't implemented it.


UC3 F2P (bigger player pool) + ping filter toggle = WIN

Don't forget that it would always be optional. If there are not enough players in your region, you could always turn it off. It doesn't hurt to give it a try.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 5 of 22 (406 Views)
Naughty Paw
Registered: 12/06/2011
Online
20306 posts
 

Re: U3 Status Report-Opinions Welcomed

Jan 11, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

X-Offender wrote:

About the Ping filter toggle, you said that BO2 implemented it but matchmaking doesn't suffer from wait times because the game averages about 600k players daily. What about UC3? I really have no idea how many players daily it averages, but I doubt it features as many as BO2. Thus, it might constitute a real problem when it comes to wait times. I mean, sometimes I have to wait minutes and minutes (especially when I'm in a party) to find players as it is, but if that option was added, then we're talking very long wait times. I think ND have taken this into consideration, and it's one of the reasons, if not the main reason why they haven't implemented it.


UC3 F2P (bigger player pool) + ping filter toggle = WIN

Don't forget that it would always be optional. If there are not enough players in your region, you could always turn it off. It doesn't hurt to give it a try.


 

Having it as an option like CoD does would be the best option if it were to ever be implemented (which I don't expect at this point). F2P MP would give a great reason to implement it too with all the new players testing out the game to see if they like it.

 

If they like it, they can use the Ping Toggle to keep getting better connection games and stay playing longer. Win win if everything goes correctly.

 

Of course, I'd try to have it on as much as possible, but if it were to put me in a spot where finding a game would be impossible, I'd have to take it off. That's really the one downfall of the possible Ping Toggle.

Message 6 of 22 (399 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 09/28/2009
Offline
153 posts
 

Re: U3 Status Report-Opinions Welcomed

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

wais_45 wrote:

Intro: U3 has turned 1 years old a while back and I've decided to make a status report of the game. This thread will discuss anything some of this games problems or anything that was included in the online portion of the game from; lag, technical issues, kickbacks, etc, and I will go more in depth in the op when I get some discussion going around. People can choose and talk about any of the topics that I picked and I will add great responses to the OP (whether they're negative or positive responses towards U3). I'll ask serious of questions to help get some discussions going around. 

 

Lag:  Absolutely horrible. People hovering and moon walking like Michael Jackson, lag n’ roll occurring multiple times in a match, and people killing you in a split second is not fair and extremely rage worthy. Obviously ND did not learn from their mistake that they made in U2: Implementing legacy based matchmaking. Lag was bad before it was implemented but this just made it worse. A thread made by a great forumer Tapantaola made a thread on this issue: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-...

 

Summary: "How would it work:
On = find players with 5 connection bars (100ms maximum latency)
Off = find players ASAP regardless of latency" 

 

 Black Ops 2 has implemented lag and latency workarounds: Before entering matchmaking players are given the chance to their matchmaking preferences by pressing "square". "This places an upper limit on the ping/latency of the lobby/game you will join,"David Vondahaar Game Director. The only negative thing about this are the wait times (a minor problem because Black Ops 2 currently averages 600k players daily). 

 

What are your thoughts on lag at the moment? Black Ops 2 added a feature that can curve the lag and from personal experience, the amount of lag in Black Ops 2 is low. Do you think this can be added in U3? 

 

Weapon balance: No, im not advocating nerfs and buffs in this thread, but I would like to hear your thoughts on this issue. Do you think weapons are finally balance after a series of nerfs and buffs during U3's time? 

Rate of Fire: This modification is an absolute joke. Anybody constantly using this as their main weapon will NEVER get better at this game. How you say? Its with out a doubt anyone attaching this mod on their gun are only do so because people will die faster from your shots. People can easily level weapon expert to gold and they can get another attachment that makes the gun a total beast. The recoil is with the mod attached is an advantage because it would increase the chances of getting a headshot and increase the speed in which the enemy would die. I believe the mod should be nerfed (ND will never remove a modification) What are your thoughts on the ROF?

 

Emblems: Absolutely useless. I can essentially create anything I want with the option in Black Ops, but u3 has no variety and it doesn't open to creativity. Were you disappointed in the lack of options available?

 

Technical Issues: Oh. My.God. I honestly don't know how some of the technical fixes were not dealt with in the FIRST month of the games release. Here is some of the things that make U3 what it is today:

  1. Party Splitting: In the first month or so when I bought U3 this wasn't a problem for me because I barely partied up with anybody. When I started to party up a lot in the summer this issue has occurred 384848484 times and the amount of times I had to quit and get a loss because of this was 304348 times (yeah im exaggerating a bit but it does happen a lot). 
  2. The infinite spinning ring: Oh do I remember how much I watched the spinning dagger in uncharted 2. When I got U3 I thought this would change, and it did. It turned into the infinite spinning ring. I seriously dont know why this keeps happening and im not entirely sure if ND even knows this a serious problem, but this is a issue that needs to be acknowledge and fixed
  3. Inviting players/Joining player parties: I keep getting invites from players mid-game who are not even online. I did not know some of my psn friends were ghost. As for joining parties, at times I cannot even do that. I have to sign in and out to even get into a party. Im not sure if its my internet connection but other online games I own works perfectly fine when I try joining my friends parties.
  4. Removed from game:.....Courtesy of ND. I remember when I had about 990 losses, and I assured my self that I will not reach 1k losses (by partying up 247 lol) oh boy was I wrong. I swear I got removed from a match 8 times straight, followed by 2 losses by being in teams full of noobs (reaching 1k losses in 1 hour smh lol). Why does this happen? Is there a way for ND to fix this?

I'll stop there on the technical issues. How do you enjoy playing U3 despite all the technical issues that are persistent in the game?

 

Kickbacks: I think the kickbacks are fine at the moment, but what are your thoughts on it? Do you think its balanced? 

 

Booster: I like the new booster that were added (cloaked and monkey man ftw), but there is that one booster that is horrible (revenge I hate you so much you piece of crap!!). What are yout thoughts on the new boosters introduced, carried from u2, or ones you thought they could have made up?

 

In conclusion: the point of this thread is to get a status report on U3. I'll change the dat on the title every week and I will put great posts in the OP. I got great responses of Tack129 and FredFai but its somewhere deep in the U3 Facebook page so I have to get that. Also, you can write negative or positive things about U3. No negative attitude towards others or their opinions. Please. 


Lag: The lag is not that bad for me at the moment. There is the occasional killed-behind-the-wall death but nothing to the extreme to what you described. Also even though that Black Ops 2 has a ping filter it's still the laggiest game I have ever played in my entire life. It's even worse than the first Black Ops.

 

Weapon Balance: Besides the ROF and Blindfire mods the balance is fine.

 

ROF mod: The worst idea that Naughty Dog ever came up with. I keep asking myself, "ND, why did you put a ROF mod on the fasting firing guns in the game excluding the Tau Sniper. We, the customers, have even tested this ROF mod before with the AK-47. We came to a consensus that it was over powered yet you put it in anyway." I don't want any adjustments, JUST GET RID OF THE THING!!!

 

Emblems: They're a fine little customizable thing you can use. Sure, it's not as in depth as COD but in my in my opinion that is a good thing. Have you seen all the immature and messed up things people came up with? This is a "T" rated game and the last thing that I want to see is a **bleep** and a swastika for the thousandth time.

 

Technical: I pretty much play by myself because of my introvert ways so the party spitting doesn't bother me. The other things are annoying but I move on and enjoy the game for what it is.

 

Kickbacks: The Juggernaut kickback is underpowered. Your neck can easily be snapped from behind since you're so slow. Quickboom is very annoying. In my opinion, once you have your two quickboom grenades the rest of the grenades you pick up are plain grenades.

 

Boosters: Besides Revenge and Fleet Foot, I enjoy the variety of boosters.

 

In the end I love playing the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer. It keeps me coming back for over a year and that's saying something.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Message 7 of 22 (364 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 09/11/2012
Offline
2414 posts
 

Re: U3 Status Report-Opinions Welcomed

Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for sharing Mario! I will make updates to the OP once there is more discussions.

My Youtube Channel:

NG \\Wais
Message 8 of 22 (350 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 11/09/2012
Offline
131 posts
 

Re: U3 Status Report-Opinions Welcomed

Jan 11, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

X-Offender wrote:

About the Ping filter toggle, you said that BO2 implemented it but matchmaking doesn't suffer from wait times because the game averages about 600k players daily. What about UC3? I really have no idea how many players daily it averages, but I doubt it features as many as BO2. Thus, it might constitute a real problem when it comes to wait times. I mean, sometimes I have to wait minutes and minutes (especially when I'm in a party) to find players as it is, but if that option was added, then we're talking very long wait times. I think ND have taken this into consideration, and it's one of the reasons, if not the main reason why they haven't implemented it.


UC3 F2P (bigger player pool) + ping filter toggle = WIN

Don't forget that it would always be optional. If there are not enough players in your region, you could always turn it off. It doesn't hurt to give it a try.


Well, if you put it like that, then no, it wouldn't hurt to give it a go. However, do you honestly see ND making UC3 multiplayer F2P? Me thinks not.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 22 (347 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: U3 Status Report-Opinions Welcomed

Jan 11, 2013

X-Offender wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

X-Offender wrote:

About the Ping filter toggle, you said that BO2 implemented it but matchmaking doesn't suffer from wait times because the game averages about 600k players daily. What about UC3? I really have no idea how many players daily it averages, but I doubt it features as many as BO2. Thus, it might constitute a real problem when it comes to wait times. I mean, sometimes I have to wait minutes and minutes (especially when I'm in a party) to find players as it is, but if that option was added, then we're talking very long wait times. I think ND have taken this into consideration, and it's one of the reasons, if not the main reason why they haven't implemented it.


UC3 F2P (bigger player pool) + ping filter toggle = WIN

Don't forget that it would always be optional. If there are not enough players in your region, you could always turn it off. It doesn't hurt to give it a try.


Well, if you put it like that, then no, it wouldn't hurt to give it a go. However, do you honestly see ND making UC3 multiplayer F2P? Me thinks not.


It makes financial sense (read: microtransactions), so yes, it's coming soon (TM).

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 10 of 22 (337 Views)
Reply
0 Likes