Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 05 2012
By: SouthpawLP Treasure Hunter 4593 posts

Two absolutely needed across-the-board weapon tweaks that ND is discussing NOW! (50+ supporters!)

[ Edited ]
139 replies 2143 views Edited Oct 12, 2012

You probably have some complaints about the weapon system in Uncharted 3 right now. Apparently TheStuntDouble has chosen to become the NeVeO of the "nerf the Para 9" campaign*. I personally hate how accurate the M9's blindfire is, as it gives a blindfire/steel-fist kill faster than any weapon in the game, without the drawbacks of a KAL-7 (crappy damage and high recoil) or a Para 9 (jamming and unreliable hit detection in gunfights).

We have come full circle, to complaining about blindfire again. Blindfire is once again being used as a crutch for players who can't aim, much like it was a whole year ago. Not to mention that, for a whole year, aiming in Uncharted 3 has been slower than Uncharted 2's, especially for the sniper rifles. In fact, the aiming is so slow that some people prefer Uncharted 2 just because it doesn't have Uncharted 3's very noticeable aim assist which slows down their aim whenever they're trying to shoot an enemy.

The two problems, mentioned above, can be thrown out the window, permanently... and Naughty Dog is now going to discuss them. See the bottom of the post for proof. In the meantime, though, let me present these two weapon tweaks which have been ignored for far too long.

1. Blindfire accuracy is too strong because of lock-on, a feature that most multiplayer games don't have for hipfire. Whether you play Gears of War, or Battlefield, or Call of Duty, or Halo, or Counter-Strike, or Medal of Honor, there's one thing all of these shooters have in common: hipfire does NOT have lock-on. You have to actually aim your gun at people while firing from the hip. You sacrifice precision and aim assist for more mobility, making you a harder target to hit. Hipfire can be a skill-ful and rewarding mechanic in Uncharted, but as it has always been since Uncharted 2 and still is in Uncharted 3, it is not. There is a ridiculous amount of lock-on for blindfire in both games, and it is being used as a crutch for players who can't even aim to just run-and-gun until they get X amount of hit-markers, and then they finish you off with a punch that takes out 50% of your health (a whopping 75% of it in Uncharted 2).

This is Gears blindfire. Notice how unlike Uncharted 3 you actually have to aim when shooting from the hip and the bullets don't magically magnetize to off-screen enemies (which is one reason blindfire lock-on is bad and should be removed: sometimes it's bugged and blindfire bullets will go towards enemies you don't even need to see on your screen). Thanks to HIhi2442 for finding the video for me.

So Naughty Dog, please remove blindfire lock-on from all weapons, and require the player to put the center of the screen on an enemy in order to get shots on people with blindfire. The Blindfire Accuracy mod could be used to reduce the bullet spread on blindfire, allowing you to get more precise hits while running and gunning. Blindfire in its current state should not win over aiming, and the solution is to just remove blindfire lock-on and change the blindfire mechanic to the way it always should have been.

2. Reduce aim assist on every weapon to Uncharted 2 levels. EVERY weapon. We no longer have lock-on aim assist on the FAL-SS or G-MAL, thanks to 1.13, but aim assist is still extremely noticeable in the game. In Uncharted 3, your reticule slows down to a crawl when it approaches an enemy, which can make hitting the enemy even easier, or harder than it has to be. It also can be very hard to move a reticule when multiple enemies are facing you, because the aim assist just piles on and makes your aim extremely slow. I know of some players who prefer to play Uncharted 2 specifically because the aim assist is lower in that game, in spite of this game having higher health.

The weapons which have paid the highest price for the high aim assist in this game are the Dragon, Tau, and T-Bolt sniper weapons. For more information with visual evidence, skip to 4:32 on tripleWRECK's video, which in a little over three weeks will be a year old.

Reduce aim assist so that our reticules do not slow down so much when we aim at enemies, but don't remove it. We wouldn't want our reticules to fly all over the place when we're trying to aim at an enemy, so a very low percentage of the current aim assist, maybe 10 or 15% of the way it is now, is ideal (meaning, reduce aim assist by 85-90%). This change would be perfect for Classic Mode, since the aiming would feel more like Uncharted 2's :smileywink:

Now, these two changes this far into the game seem impossible, since they are such massive changes a year after the game's servers first started up, that there's no way ND will do this. Well...

LET'S DO THIS.JPG

You see that? They are actually going to discuss this, even though they are such huge changes to the game a year after its release. Either way, we have at least one ND employee who sees why these tweaks could help out the game completely. I'd say that after these two changes, I'd have virtually no problem at all with the weapon system in this game. Maybe some would have a problem or two, but we'd have the biggest problems with the weapon system out of the way and they could affect every weapon across the board, rather than just nerfing one weapon to be worse than the others. No, with these tweaks all the weapons would be changed, for the better, all at the same time in the same two ways. If we can show ND support for this thread, then maybe we can convince them that this community really does want these changes. Now is the time to ask for a changed blindfire mechanic and a much faster aiming system in Uncharted 3.

Thank you all for reading. Discuss, and if you want these changes, support. You can support by leaving a kudo making it easier for ND to see how many people agree with me about these changes, but you can also simply make sure that the thread stays up on the first page, and you can also spread the word about it to your Uncharted 3-playing friends so they can come here, log into the forum via PSN/SEN, and help support it.

*No offense to NeVeO (who I have added on my friends list), just a little joke lampshading how often NeVeO brought up the G-MAL to complain about it and how often TheStuntDouble is beginning to complain about the Para 9.

I'd also like to credit Nomad40 for inspiring me in his recent thread about snipers' aim assist, in which he referred to me by name, expressing he wanted me to make a thread addressing the aim assist. Wish granted, buddy! ;D

Message 1 of 140 (2,143 Views)
Survivor
2480 posts

Re: Two absolutely needed tweaks to affect every weapon in this game, across the board. (ZOMG 0 KUDO

Oct 5, 2012

SouthpawLP made a thread? Kudos before reading :smileywink:

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 2 of 140 (2,096 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4593 posts

Re: Two absolutely needed tweaks to affect every weapon in this game, across the board. (ZOMG 0 KUDO

Oct 5, 2012

stentryk wrote:

SouthpawLP made a thread? Kudos before reading :smileywink:

;D It's been a long time.

Message 3 of 140 (2,094 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3236 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 5, 2012

Yes, UC3's blindfire and the sniper aim assist definitely need an massive overhaul, it always has.

The a huge portion of combat is now currently blindfire unfortunately.

Players should not be so dependent/reliant on hipfire, it should never be something they do unless it is a last resort. It should be suitably underpowered so players are taught to A-I-M their weapons (crazy idea in a shooter right?) and not be rewarded for playing mindlessly. It's not a "tactic", it's not a "skill", it's the game automatically aiming for you. That does not belong in a competitive MP shooter, and at the very least nowhere near its present form.

CQC is nothing but who gets the first blindfire shot in (and to a lesser extent, who gets a lag-assisted whack-n-roll). How is that balanced at all?

As for the aiming issues with the snipers, there's nothing to say that I haven't said (or shown heh :smileywink:) a thousand times already. UC3's sniper aiming/aim assist mechanics are awful compared to UC2's. Time to go back to the tried and true system you got right from the start. I guess we didn't realize what we had until it was gone. Nobody complained about them, so if it aint broke...

Why wait for UC4? It's time to correct these broken systems now.

Edits, Commentaries, Community Videos, and LULZ!
Message 4 of 140 (2,057 Views)
Survivor
2480 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 5, 2012

Have to disagree with tripleWRECK on this one.

I kudoed this, because I like every single thing about it. HOWEVER: What was NaughtyDogs biggest lesson from Uncharted 2? To not significantly change the game in the middle of its life cycle. I think that a lot of people like the current state of the game, or at least don't want such a significant change.

These ideas, along with other changes, that there are other threads for, should be in Uncharted 4, if they make it (hopefully they will). That would make that game better than UC3 and truly spectacular.

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 5 of 140 (2,053 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3236 posts

Oct 5, 2012

stentryk wrote:

I kudoed this, because I like every single thing about it. HOWEVER: What was NaughtyDogs biggest lesson from Uncharted 2? To not significantly change the game in the middle of its life cycle. I think that a lot of people like the current state of the game, or at least don't want such a significant change.

These ideas, along with other changes, that there are other threads for, should be in Uncharted 4, if they make it (hopefully they will). That would make that game truly spectacular.

UC2's massive change mid-game was for the worse, this would be the exact oppositeIf this change is something the majority will be happy about, why not change?

Edits, Commentaries, Community Videos, and LULZ!
Message 6 of 140 (2,042 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4593 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 5, 2012

stentryk wrote:

Have to disagree with tripleWRECK on this one.

These ideas, along with other changes, that there are other threads for, should be in Uncharted 4, if they make it (hopefully they will). That would make that game better than UC3 and truly spectacular.

But like Triple said, why wait until Uncharted 4? If Naughty Dog is still considering weapon tweaks, then why not bring this up to them and hammer in the final nails in the coffin?

Message 7 of 140 (2,039 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1435 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 5, 2012

Finally a quality thread again. Thank you so much!

It's nice to see that ND still considers tweaking the weapons horrible aim assist after a year. (Huh, that came out sarcastic somehow, didn't it?)

If ND really does this I could finally accept the MP as being "completed" from a gameplay standpoint. Currently I still believe the summer beta gameplay was much better and fun, even if their was less content.

(That Nomad40 guy didn't inspired you by any chance? :smileywink:)

--------ND/SCEE: UNCENSOR TLOU EU MP ALREADY!--------
----Greetings from Sony Censortainment Network Europe----
------------------Join my GTA V crew "ND forums"!-------------------

Message 8 of 140 (2,036 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2480 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 5, 2012

tripleWRECK wrote:

stentryk wrote:

These ideas, along with other changes, that there are other threads for, should be in Uncharted 4, if they make it (hopefully they will). That would make that game truly spectacular.

UC2's massive change mid-game was for the worse, this would be the exact oppositeIf this change is something the majority will be happy about, why not change?

90% of the Uncharted players are scrubs, right? xD

I believe that while us, the good guys, will see this as a better change, most players will not. This forum and our Facebook page is far from every Uncharted player. We know nothing about what the majority wants. We may know what the majority of us want, but we are all 'hardcore' right? We're all into this game, wanting this game to be a tactical game.

I think these changes would be AWESOME, but I don't really want them because I think most people are happy with the current state. And hey if you leave that change to UC4, you can choose which game you want to play and there will be more of a difference between them.

Message 9 of 140 (2,032 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4593 posts

Oct 5, 2012

Psyschock wrote:

Finally a quality thread again. Thank you so much!

It's nice to see that ND still considers tweaking the weapons horrible aim assist after a year. (Huh, that came out sarcastic somehow, didn't it?)

If ND really does this I could finally accept the MP as being "completed" from a gameplay standpoint. Currently I still believe the summer beta gameplay was much better and fun, even if their was less content.

(That Nomad40 guy didn't inspired you by any chance? :smileywink:)

As a matter of fact, Nomad DID inspire me. I'll give him credit in the OP right nao. ;D

Message 10 of 140 (2,027 Views)
0 Likes