Aug 08 2012
By: pro_odeh Lombax Warrior 110 posts

Tournament System Explained [With spreadsheet and the CORRECT formula]

[ Edited ]
36 replies 5695 views Edited Nov 26, 2012

Confused about the Tournament system? Fear no more! 

Why not start by watching the video that explains the system?

Also, check out the offical Tournament FAQ page.  

Summary of the system

• You get 10 FREE tickets every week to use.
  • If you don't use all tickets one week you lose them. Tickets can not be saved up.
  • You can buy additional tickets from the PS Store for real money. You don't lose these tickets every week, and you still get 10 free ones every week that are used before the bought ones.
  • Tickets are activated before voting starts for any game of Team Deathmatch, Three Team Deathmatch or Hardcore.
  • You can also de-activate a ticket before voting starts.
  • Tournament points are given based on your performance in the match.
  • If your team LOSES the match you get ZERO POINTS no matter how well you played.
  • If your team LOSES the match you get 10% (So if you would have gotten 1600 points you only get 160 points if your team loses). 

The point system

If you WIN the match you get points based on this formula:

Points = [1000 + (100*kills) + (25*assists) – (80*deaths)] * [1.2-(party size*0.2)] 

You can skip the explanation of this formula and calculate the number of points you would receive using this spreadsheet:

Spreadsheet for calculating Tournament Points

You get 1000 base points for winning the match, additional 100 points for each kill and 25 points for each assist. Every death gives you minus 80 points. If you are in a party you get 20% less points for every party member. That means in a party of five you would get 80% less points than you would playing alone! To put it simply; Say you played a match and got no kills, no deaths and no assits. That would give the score:

• 1000 points playing alone
  • 800 points in a party of two
  • 600 points in a party of three
  • 400 points in a party of four
  • 200 points in a party of five

Basically, partying up to secure the win will not pay off. 

Reward tiers

If you earn enough points you get placed in one of the three reward tiers; bronze, silver or gold. Each tier unlocks different stuff that can be used during the next tournament (week). The tiers are:

Bronze - Requires 8 500 points

Unlocks:

• Changes each week.

Silver - Requires 13 500 points

Unlocks:

• Changes each week. 

Gold - Requires 18 500 points

Unlocks:

• Changes each week. 

These items must be earned each new tournament and cannot be kept forever. But one thing can; the Djinn Skin. If you get placed in the gold tier for a total of 6 weeks (not necessarily cosecutivley) you earn the Djinn skin (forever).

That's basically it. Let me know if I've missed anything, and use the spreadsheet to find out how well you have to be playing in order to get the rewards you want. Have fun!

Message 1 of 37 (5,695 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1036 posts

Re: Tournament System Thread [Includes spreadsheet with the CORRECT formula]

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks a lot! This is a sick system, though I don't like how it only counts when you win.
I do gameplay/commentary, help me out and subscribe! Click my siggy to get to my channel!
Photobucket

Photobucket

I don't really play Uncharted 3 much anymore... Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 37 (5,662 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Aug 8, 2012
so the items are not forever, what a crap.
Message 3 of 37 (5,659 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11298 posts

Aug 8, 2012

Seibitsu wrote:
so the items are not forever, what a crap.

Indeed sir... indeed...

Message 4 of 37 (5,641 Views)
Lombax Warrior
146 posts

Aug 8, 2012

There is one thing I do not like about these tickets.

I spend my first ticket, got it a lobby, then the loading screen kept going on, untill I was put out of the lobby five minutes after. Lost my ticket. 

I played a very good TDM (26 kills) and won, but got 2610 points in the end. It got me thinking. ''If I do this 10 times I will have 26000 points, 8000 more than is needed for gold.'' The only thing though is that I don't do that well all the time plus I have to win every match to get those 26000 points. Gold is gonna be hard to get for sure...

I don't fumble. I improvise.
http://www.YouTube.com/RobinGaming
Message 5 of 37 (5,636 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Aug 8, 2012
Well done on producing the spreadsheet. As I said in another thread, anyone who can achieve a 2.0 KDR can easily reach gold. The only frustration will be if you're put in a team that doesn't eventually win the match.
Message 6 of 37 (5,615 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
831 posts

Aug 8, 2012

Nice work with the explanations and the spreadsheet pro_odeh!  : )

The tournament system is not bad at all.

The fact that you got zero points when you lose is a little harsh if you ask me but...  : )  Could have been 50% of the points only or 25% but at least it would net us some points!

And the "teamates de-multiplier" could have been a little lower too, but I understand the point of it.

Message 7 of 37 (5,593 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20477 posts

Aug 8, 2012
I really appreciate this thread. Many people were confused about this when the patch was released yesterday. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 37 (5,589 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
392 posts

Aug 8, 2012

Really nice done, kudos to you!

Click to see my YouTube Channel

Message 9 of 37 (5,571 Views)
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Aug 8, 2012

Thanks for the positive feedback. I was just going to type the formula into excel to check out the numbers myself, when I thought I might as well make it available for everyone. 

Anyway, I haven't done too good this time around. Will probably end up on silver, but that's ok. From my experience luck has least to say in three team deathmatch. It's not that hard to get 2000+ points there compared to TDM. And I wish I would have known out about the de-activate feature from the beginning Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 37 (5,535 Views)
0 Likes