Sep 03 2012
By: OWN1N45 Uncharted Territory 1927 posts

The M9 is the king of ease of use

[ Edited ]
39 replies 728 views Edited Sep 3, 2012

Now I'm not asking for any balance changing whatsoever. Just giving some food for thought. Please do not take this thread in the wrong direction or as me complaining, because I'm not.

Many moons ago, there used to be countless threads about the G-MAL/FAL-SS. Threads ranging from outright whining to coherent and well made. However, a lot of the content at the time for both guns was about how easy they were to use to kill people. And of course, that's why they were the most overused weapons for their time.

One gun has always been kind of overshadowed by them, until now of course, the M9. No, this isn't about its rapid fire mod. The base M9 is what this is about. The base M9... let's take a trip back in time, to happier times.

The summer beta. Does everyone remember the M9 in that? Some people said it was better than the AK-47... and this was true, until you threw in RoF AK-47. Anyway, not talking about balance here or whatever but the M9 in the summer beta had a much slower rate of fire than compared to now. While it had the same damage as it does now, the rate of fire is much higher. It used to be slower. The damage made sense with that speed it shot at. It was pretty fair, especially since it didn't have recoil then as well (and still doesn't now). Nobody really complained about it, except only when compared to the abse AK-47 but that, again, is a different topic.

After playing with the M9, base M9, for the last few days (after not using it for months) with the G-MAL less present I've come to the realization that this gun is way, way, way, way easy to use. Now again, you all know me for solely using the AK-47 (exception on Oasis/other long range maps), so switching to the M9 again after like... 7-8 months (last I had used a loadout with it) it's quite a stark contrast.

Obviously I had to adjust a little bit. But the adjusting takes very little time. Once you realize you don't have to really adjust your reticle for recoil, everything's pretty... easy going. I was playing pretty similar leveled players as I have always been, you know, legacy 3 and above doods. And... I was getting scores like 18-7, 24-4, 16-7, etc. and this was without friends most of the time (especially today, holy **bleep** lol).

Today alone I was able to hit Gold using up all my 10 tickets because of the base M9. Something I probably wouldn't be able to do with the AK simply because of its inconsistency (mostly referring to its recoil in certain situations).

The bottom line is, the rate of fire mod isn't the only thing about the gun that makes it what it is. I aliken it to the UC2 AK-47 except without the same damage. Why is a gun like this okay to exist when ND had tried so hard to make the AK-47 a more close-mid range gun? The M9 does every range pretty amazingly, to be honest. It's hard at longer ranges, sure, but it's doable and when it happens it doesn't feel very rewarding at all... because you realize there's no recoil on this gun.

Like I said, I'm not asking for any changes. I'm just pointing out, the way the M9 was made is why we have any problems with it in the first place. It was like ND wanted the AK-47 from UC2 but didn't want the AK-47 itself to be that gun this time around. They had to create a different gun to fill that "all-around" role the AK-47 took in UC2 and frankly, it's not awesome.

It's no wonder you see Level 1s (who now have access to Spyder's M9) favoring Spyder's M9 to the AK-47. It's no wonder you see this gun around in every match, period. It is because it is far too easy to use, with its only disadvantage being damage. Which isn't much of a disadvantage at all when you consider its many other advantages.

So. Just wanted to say that. Again, not asking for any changes. The M9 is, in general, a silly gun. Lol.

Edit: Basically, I think it's silly that the M9 is the only gun in the game that has no recoil and ND tried so hard to make every gun have recoil, to make them feel different from each other. The M9 feels no different than the UC2 AK-47 other than damage. And that is why, it is a silly gun with the RoF mod.

Had they kept the same slow rate of fire it had in the summer beta, I don't think without recoil it would be as silly as it is. But the fact it has both no recoil AND a good rate of fire (plus the mod itself that makes it fire faster even more) makes it really, really silly.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 40 (728 Views)
Survivor
2334 posts

Re: The M9 is the king of ease of use

Sep 3, 2012

The AK is easier for me.

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending"
Message 2 of 40 (692 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1438 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 3, 2012

Played with you sometimes the last days in Team Objectives and I think Plunder. You were using the AK with Accuracy. Now that I have every booster on lvl 3/ gold again on my 5th legacy (except team safe currently on silver) I finally could use the Gold-AK with Accuracy + Scope Zoom mod with weapon expert. In the end I always switch to the M9 +RoF and Scope Zoom mod or G-mal with Accuracy + reload speed combo if I decide to use weapon expert because it's just easier to use, especially now that ND nerfed the RoF mod of the M9 2 times slightly making the recoil increase even easier to manage. I'ts a shame, really.

Edit: I wish ND would increase the RoF of the AK just by 1-2% and/ or reducing the actual recoil instead of increasing the accuracy of the gun( like they did with an older patch). I don't believe that the AK has the same killing speed as the AK+ RoF mod in the summer beta. It is at least slighly less and if it is actually the same, then they should have reduced the recoil to MATCH the AK without RoF from the summer beta!

------------------Join my GTA V crew "ND forums"!-------------------

Message 3 of 40 (681 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1927 posts

Sep 3, 2012

lII-Venom-lII wrote:

The AK is easier for me.

I felt the same way, until I started to spend more time with the M9 lately (taking advantage of Marlowe's suger buddy 3rd booster).

Naturally, the feel of whatever gun you've been using for months is going to feel easier, because you're used to it. But when you break away from it and try something else, the new gun you're trying becomes more familiar to you. Doesn't mean the gun itself is easier.

However, the M9 breaks this idea. Simply because anyone can pick it up and use it. It has no recoil. There's nothing to really adjust to (unless you're used to adjusting for recoil, like an AK-47 user would be). But for a complete new player to the game, the M9 is going to be the gun of choice, and the gun they stick with. Why is this? It requires no time to mingle with it and actually get good with it. All the other long guns (save the KAL-7, of course) do, though. Which is highly, highly inconsistent.

It's true that the M9 feels different from the other guns by not having recoil, but then why does the AK-47 have recoil? The justification for it, to have it for the sake of feel, makes no sense when you bring in the M9. The 'feel' of the M9 is that there is no feel, you just point, keep your character moving and your gun on the moving target and they're dead.

Every gun fight has become easier for me. I was able to get multiple Connect 4s this weekend using the base M9. That's unlike me, because I use the AK-47, which is significantly harder to get Connect 4 medals with. Simply because, again, its recoil. You can't always keep the AK in place, whereas with the M9, you're guaranteed to... because it has no recoil. Lol.

It's a silly gun. But yeah, use whatever you want. I just wanted to make a statement, which was probably already obvious to most, but I felt it wasn't outlined clearly enough for some.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 40 (668 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2334 posts

Sep 3, 2012

OWN1N45 wrote:

lII-Venom-lII wrote:

The AK is easier for me.

I felt the same way, until I started to spend more time with the M9 lately (taking advantage of Marlowe's suger buddy 3rd booster).

Naturally, the feel of whatever gun you've been using for months is going to feel easier, because you're used to it. But when you break away from it and try something else, the new gun you're trying becomes more familiar to you. Doesn't mean the gun itself is easier.

However, the M9 breaks this idea. Simply because anyone can pick it up and use it. It has no recoil. There's nothing to really adjust to (unless you're used to adjusting for recoil, like an AK-47 user would be). But for a complete new player to the game, the M9 is going to be the gun of choice, and the gun they stick with. Why is this? It requires no time to mingle with it and actually get good with it. All the other long guns (save the KAL-7, of course) do, though. Which is highly, highly inconsistent.

It's true that the M9 feels different from the other guns by not having recoil, but then why does the AK-47 have recoil? The justification for it, to have it for the sake of feel, makes no sense when you bring in the M9. The 'feel' of the M9 is that there is no feel, you just point, keep your character moving and your gun on the moving target and they're dead.

Every gun fight has become easier for me. I was able to get multiple Connect 4s this weekend using the base M9. That's unlike me, because I use the AK-47, which is significantly harder to get Connect 4 medals with. Simply because, again, its recoil. You can't always keep the AK in place, whereas with the M9, you're guaranteed to... because it has no recoil. Lol.

It's a silly gun. But yeah, use whatever you want. I just wanted to make a statement, which was probably already obvious to most, but I felt it wasn't outlined clearly enough for some.

The ak has no recoil when you compare it to the m9. The ak is also easier to aim. I use the m9 and ak and they both have bad sides to them.

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending"
Message 5 of 40 (656 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1927 posts

Sep 3, 2012

Psyschock wrote:

Played with you sometimes the last days in Team Objectives and I think Plunder. You were using the AK with Accuracy. Now that I have every booster on lvl 3/ gold again on my 5th legacy (except team safe currently on silver) I finally could use the Gold-AK with Accuracy + Scope Zoom mod with weapon expert. In the end I always swith to the M9 +RoF and Scope Zoom mod or G-mal with Accuracy + reload combo if I decide to use weapon expert because it's just easier to use, especially now that ND nerfed the RoF mod of the M9 2 times slightly making the recoil increase even easier to manage. I'ts a shame, really.

I'd hate to double post, but editing wouldn't do justice lol.

Yeah, we did play on the same team a few times, it was pretty nice running into you. I thought, "Wait, isn't he from the forums?... I can't check right now but I think so... lol". Whenever I'm alone I have no mic on, but if I did have it on, I would have said hello. ;p

In those matches I was actually using the ND AK and ND Para because I had just legacied and thus, didn't have my WE Gold. I would have definitely been using the AK-47 Accuracy + Scope zoom otherwise. Sadly, it probably wouldn't be able to compete anymore in the current environment... the M9 is just too good and silly (both with RoF and without). I think I did decent with that AK though... I was also treasure hunting, but obviously I don't just focus on kills for that (I capped a lot heh). I do both, carry the idol and try to get kills for the treasures I need. Eventually, I did get mostly everything except the Explorer Hat. And I just legacied the other day to 5 so I don't have treasure hunter lv 3 anymore so yeah.

Off topicness ftw.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 40 (641 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1925 posts

Sep 3, 2012

M9 is the most versatile gun. It's amazing BF, non-existent recoil and high rate of fire make it a great weapon. The M9 was always overlooked by many for a long period of time. The M9 has always been my favorite weapon and the base M9 is my opinion is the most balanced weapon and other guns should be designed with similiar killing times. 

Adding recoil will arguably make the M9 better. When I use the RoF I average 5-6 headshots if they increase M9 recoil this might be the case.

Message 7 of 40 (635 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1927 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 3, 2012

far-zan wrote:

M9 is the most versatile gun. It's amazing BF, non-existent recoil and high rate of fire make it a great weapon. The M9 was always overlooked by many for a long period of time. The M9 has always been my favorite weapon and the base M9 is my opinion is the most balanced weapon and other guns should be designed with similiar killing times. 

Adding recoil will arguably make the M9 better. When I use the RoF I average 5-6 headshots if they increase M9 recoil this might be the case.

Like I said, I'm not asking for it to be changed. I was just making a few statements and such, to see what others thought or if it matched up with what anyone else thought about it.

I wouldn't want other guns to be like the M9. It should be the reverse of that (the M9 being like the other guns). Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

I really should stop posting for now though, lool.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 40 (622 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Survivor
2224 posts

Sep 3, 2012

OWN1N45 wrote:

far-zan wrote:

Like I said, I'm not asking for it to be changed. I was just making a few statements and such, to see what others thought or if it matched up with what anyone else thought about it.

I wouldn't want other guns to be like the M9. It should be the reverse of that (the M9 being like the other guns). Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

I really should stop posting for now though, lool.

Let's say it was going to be changed, how would you change it might I ask? (To the OP of this thread.)

Message 9 of 40 (613 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1438 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 3, 2012

The AK-47 has at least 1 big advantage over every gun though. It has currently the highest stopping power of every gun out there.

Wasn't there a thread about gun mechanics where cog182 admitted that the recoil system (compared to the only expanding reticle in UC2) may not have been the best decision? They did it so that the AK doesn't become good in all ranges by simply burst-firing it like in UC2 but they may have gone overboard because in the end the M9 just replaced it. He said something about bullets falling to the ground after a certain distance and instead adapting more a mix of the expandable reticle from UC2 and less "recoil-heavy" guns from UC3 in the next game.

Wouldn't personally like the idea of "bullets falling to the ground after a certain distance" though.

------------------Join my GTA V crew "ND forums"!-------------------

Message 10 of 40 (605 Views)
0 Likes