Highlighted
Feb 25 2013
By: SN-A-A-A-KE Lombax Warrior 192 posts

Team "balancing" does not work + my opponents are from countries too far away

[ Edited ]
9 replies 455 views Edited Feb 25, 2013

I decided to return to this game a few days ago and I was shocked. The team balancing is totally messed up. In almost every match, I'm either put in a totally inferior or superior team.

Examples:

1. Two low-level splitscreen accounts + six high level legacy players (including me). I get both (four) splitscreeners. The match is decided before it has even begun.

2. Four "green badges", two red ones and four 5th legacy players. The teams: one 5th legacy with all the green badges against three 5th legacy (including me) and the red badges. Guess who won...

There are tons of such examples. It happens all the time. Naughty Dog, please fix this disaster. Btw, I'm not talking about parties of 4-5 players here. Of course there's not much the current MM can do about this... 

The next terrible thing I want to mention is that lots of my opponents are simply too far away for a fair and enjoyable match. It's three in the afternoon here in Europe and "optimal" and "close" constantly put me up against players from Japan, China, America (North and South), Saudi Arabia... and just a few europeans. Even worse, the few europeans I find are hardly ever from "good connection" countries such as Great Britain, Finland or Germany for example Smiley Sad 

I read somewhere that this game has half a million players. Where are they? Why is it so hard to create a decent matchmaking for you guys at Naughty Dog?

All you have to do is create a great "team balancing" system. Then you could scrap the level matchmaking which is hated by almost everyone anyway.

Anyway, thanks for reading and sorry if similar threads have been posted a few times before. I just wanted to get this off my chest. I'm so sick and tired of all this **bleep**. It wouldn't be so bad if the game was a total failure. But it's ND and their strange decisions which make this game so much worse than it could be. 

Btw, no, the next patch won't fix everything and I highly doubt that it will improve the matchmaking. I'd love to be wrong though Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 10 (455 Views)
Survivor
2224 posts

Re: Team "balancing" does not work + my opponents are from countries too far away

Feb 25, 2013

SN-A-A-A-KE wrote:

I decided to return to this game a few days ago and I was shocked. The team balancing is totally messed up. In almost every match, I'm either put in a totally inferior or superior team.

Examples:

1. Two low-level splitscreen accounts + six high level legacy players (including me). I get both (four) splitscreeners. The match is decided before it has even begun.

2. Four "green badges", two red ones and four 5th legacy players. The teams: one 5th legacy with all the green badges against three 5th legacy (including me) and the red badges. Guess who won...

There are tons of such examples. It happens all the time. Naughty Dog, please fix this disaster. Btw, I'm not talking about parties of 4-5 players here. Of course there's not much the current MM can do about this... 

The next terrible thing I want to mention is that lots of my opponents are simply too far away for a fair and enjoyable match. It's three in the afternoon here in Europe and "optimal" and "close" constantly put me up against players from Japan, China, America (North and South), Saudi Arabia... and just a few europeans. Even worse, the few europeans I find are hardly ever from "good connection" countries such as Great Britain, Finland or Germany for example Smiley Sad 

I read somewhere that this game has half a million players. Where are they? Why is it so hard to create a decent matchmaking for you guys at Naughty Dog?

All you have to do is create a great "team balancing" system. Then you could scrap the level matchmaking which is hated by almost everyone anyway.

Anyway, thanks for reading and sorry if similar threads have been posted a few times before. I just wanted to get this off my chest. I'm so sick and tired of all this sh!t. It wouldn't be so bad if the game was a total failure. But it's ND and their strange decisions which make this game so much worse than it could be. 

Btw, no, the next patch won't fix everything and I highly doubt that it will improve the matchmaking. I'd love to be wrong though Smiley Wink

Bahahahahaha Naughtydog 'fix' something. Oh wait, you're serious?

Message 2 of 10 (449 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
192 posts

Re: Team "balancing" does not work + my opponents are from countries too far away

Feb 25, 2013

Asraik wrote:

Oh right, what was I thinking... but hope dies last Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 10 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2224 posts

Feb 25, 2013

SN-A-A-A-KE wrote:

Asraik wrote:

Oh right, what was I thinking... but hope dies last Smiley Tongue

I'm just teasing you XP

Honestly they made it like this with the last patch, and a lot of people have been complaining around here. Be hopeful for 1.16 and/or 1.17 to 'cure' all of our problems with this game. I'm not too hopeful, but it's good to remain optimistic even when the odds are against you (or this game to be more exact.)

Message 4 of 10 (437 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 25, 2013

SN-A-A-A-KE wrote:

Apparently ND wants to force globalization down our throats:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-...

^ Check their "response".

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 5 of 10 (381 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
192 posts

Feb 25, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

SN-A-A-A-KE wrote:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-...

I support this idea and it's sad that it won't happen in this game. At least they should go back to the original matchmaking, the only exception being a better team balancing process. I cannot believe that ND really considers the current matchmaking as the best option. It's not even an acceptable option imo Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 10 (354 Views)
Sackboy
381 posts

Feb 25, 2013

Naughty Dog just fails with their fixes, that level based matchmaking makes it completely unfair for high level players.

It tries to balance things out so they usually pick 1 or 2 of legacy 4 or higher, and give the 3 none legacy players (complete incompetence equal to a guaranteed 3x 2-23 score if the counter would allow it. ) to that team. 

And which players do I get, me being on an alt, not legacied, level 75. I get 4 average players which are able to hold their own to a certain degree, and that happens every single time, unless I find only low level players, then it's a fair match except for the fact that I'm on an alt and on an whole other level. (I'm not the best though but I manage to flip their kdr around from time to time) 

Anyways, I used to be that legacy 5 player, who gets all the newbies on his team... an almost guaranteed loss as I can't overcompensate that much.

But that isn't even the end of it, Naughty Dog thinks players of the highest level have developed a certain amount of skill in this game while the max level isn't even hard to achieve, hell I even saw level 80 players who still weren't good at all..

(That requiring around 30 days of having played Uncharted 2) 

Naughty Dog should stop making wrong assumptions, they think skill = level but they couldn't be more wrong.

With the 2x cash events that certainly doesn't apply anymore, it actually only did the first 3 weeks patch 1.13 was out.

Then only the hardcore players had achieved it, not every tom **bleep** and harry.

They should have learned from Uncharted 2, level based matchmaking is asking to get abused.

So my point why to remove it: More lag, level means nothing in this game, and it's abusable.

Even if level meant anything, and it doesn't get abused enough to be a widespread problem, then it would still increase lag.

And that is the most hateable thing in Uncharted 3.

On top of that, if all 10 players stay after a match where 1 team won by a large margin, teams don't get reorganised.

I remember that in cod they would evenly devide the teams after the first match, the best of winning team gets put in team 1, the best of the losing team gets put in team 2, the second best in losing team gets put in team 1, etc...and that creates balanced teams, which was the whole reason Naughty Dog added it in the first place, but somehow they copied it the wrong way taking level into consideration.

If a game has to have matchmaking, and this is the only time I will say this, copy cod.

It's the best matchmaking out there, and that isn't because of the playerpool.

But because of decent balancing, ping matchmaking, and because cod actually has the money to promote their game all over the world, and not just in the cheapest countries a.k.a third world countries.

Message 7 of 10 (347 Views)
Sackboy
541 posts

Feb 25, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

SN-A-A-A-KE wrote:

ND and their BS "responses" are so freaking irritating! Blah, blah, blah, resources... They're a world renowned company, FFS. If their "resources" are so goddamn limited, why don't they just invest in technological upgrades?

There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Message 8 of 10 (337 Views)
Lombax Warrior
192 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2013

IzunaShisui wrote:

Naughty Dog just fails with their fixes, that level based matchmaking makes it completely unfair for high level players.

It tries to balance things out so they usually pick 1 or 2 of legacy 4 or higher, and give the 3 none legacy players (complete incompetence equal to a guaranteed 3x 2-23 score if the counter would allow it. ) to that team. 

And which players do I get, me being on an alt, not legacied, level 75. I get 4 average players which are able to hold their own to a certain degree, and that happens every single time, unless I find only low level players, then it's a fair match except for the fact that I'm on an alt and on an whole other level. (I'm not the best though but I manage to flip their kdr around from time to time) 

Anyways, I used to be that legacy 5 player, who gets all the newbies on his team... an almost guaranteed loss as I can't overcompensate that much.

But that isn't even the end of it, Naughty Dog thinks players of the highest level have developed a certain amount of skill in this game while the max level isn't even hard to achieve, hell I even saw level 80 players who still weren't good at all..

(That requiring around 30 days of having played Uncharted 2) 

Naughty Dog should stop making wrong assumptions, they think skill = level but they couldn't be more wrong.

With the 2x cash events that certainly doesn't apply anymore, it actually only did the first 3 weeks patch 1.13 was out.

Then only the hardcore players had achieved it, not every tom **bleep** and harry.

They should have learned from Uncharted 2, level based matchmaking is asking to get abused.

So my point why to remove it: More lag, level means nothing in this game, and it's abusable.

Even if level meant anything, and it doesn't get abused enough to be a widespread problem, then it would still increase lag.

And that is the most hateable thing in Uncharted 3.

On top of that, if all 10 players stay after a match where 1 team won by a large margin, teams don't get reorganised.

I remember that in cod they would evenly devide the teams after the first match, the best of winning team gets put in team 1, the best of the losing team gets put in team 2, the second best in losing team gets put in team 1, etc...and that creates balanced teams, which was the whole reason Naughty Dog added it in the first place, but somehow they copied it the wrong way taking level into consideration.

If a game has to have matchmaking, and this is the only time I will say this, copy cod.

It's the best matchmaking out there, and that isn't because of the playerpool.

But because of decent balancing, ping matchmaking, and because cod actually has the money to promote their game all over the world, and not just in the cheapest countries a.k.a third world countries.

I hear you. All this stuff happens to me ever since they implemented the level matchmaking. I usually play as a lone wolf and I used to win about 4:1 matches. Now I'm almost always in a terrible team (and sometimes in a totally superior one but hardly these days).

I think I've lost about 40 of the last 50 matches and it was never really my fault. I'm in matches with noobs against high level players and on top of that my opponents are so laggy (often from Asia, South America and other places far, far away) that I have to be 3 times as good as they are to even stand a chance.

As I feared, the patch did nothing to improve the current matchmaking. This is sad and it's even more sad that playing on an alternative account or without legacy is somehow rewarded by this system Smiley Sad

Btw, host selection is terrible. I've had matches in which every single player had a delay of 1-2 seconds and one match later we have another host and none of these (very same) players had any significant lag. Seriously Naughty Dog?!

Message 9 of 10 (299 Views)
Lombax Warrior
192 posts

Mar 3, 2013

Oh wow, I played on an alternative account a few days ago and things were much better. Not only did I experience less lag, I was also put into the better team most of the time. It feels wrong to play on such an account though. I almost feel stupid for it but I will stay on my fifth legacy account...

Message 10 of 10 (241 Views)
0 Likes