Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: Symmetric NAT breaks online gaming

Feb 14, 2013

Do you have UPnP enabled on your router? Does the Wii U support UPnP?

If not, then you'll have to forward the Nintendo Network ports.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 21 of 38 (371 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14379 posts

Feb 14, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Do you have UPnP enabled on your router? Does the Wii U support UPnP?

If not, then you'll have to forward the Nintendo Network ports.

I'll give the port forwarding thing a try. I just thought considering it has UPnP I wouldn't have to, but apparently that feature doesn't work very well from the amount of complaints anyway.

Message 22 of 38 (363 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2892 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 14, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

I got a PM from a ND dev...

He says that "It's part of the internal network libraries. No PS3 game can do anything about this."

That probably means that it's a PS3 firmware restriction. Sony could update the firmware and add support for TURN or maybe the PS4 could have enhanced network libraries (TURN, IPv6 etc).

The funny thing is that XBOX360 and PC games have the exact same problem... all of them use STUN.

Maybe consoles are more limited due to less RAM or API restrictions, but PC games shouldn't have this problem (uTorrent/Skype/Flash run on Windows as well).

Very interesting.

Something else I noted with the PS3 "Internet Connection Test" option.  Our new Internet connection is 50 Down, and 25 Up.  When I run the Internet Connection Test option, sure I'll see like 35 Down, BUT the Upload NEVER is more than some 5 Up!

Is that a limitation on the PS3?  The Upload can not be more than 5Mbps?!?!

I find that disturbing if it is true Smiley Sad

2507594567[1].png

77118370[1].png

2544133150[1].png

Message 23 of 38 (344 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
802 posts

Feb 14, 2013
My brain hurts
Message 24 of 38 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 14, 2013

GloZorCoMeTh wrote:

Very interesting.

Something else I noted with the PS3 "Internet Connection Test" option.  Our new Internet connection is 50 Down, and 25 Up.  When I run the Internet Connection Test option, sure I'll see like 35 Down, BUT the Upload NEVER is more than some 5 Up!

There is NO limitation in the PS3 hardware. It can support up to 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps).

Protip: don't trust the PS3 speedtest. We do NOT know which server they use... on the other hand, www.speedtest.net has a lot of servers in many countries, so it will give you accurate results most of the time.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 25 of 38 (334 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2892 posts

Feb 14, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

GloZorCoMeTh wrote:

Very interesting.

There is NO limitation in the PS3 hardware. It can support up to 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps).

Protip: don't trust the PS3 speedtest. We do NOT know which server they use... on the other hand, www.speedtest.net has a lot of servers in many countries, so it will give you accurate results most of the time.

I get that Tap.  I just find it interesting that the PS3 test never shows better than a 5MB upload.  It could be a limitation on the server side, perhaps they throttle that to PSN.

2544133150[1].png

Message 26 of 38 (326 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 14, 2013

GloZorCoMeTh wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

GloZorCoMeTh wrote:

Very interesting.

I get that Tap.  I just find it interesting that the PS3 test never shows better than a 5MB upload.  It could be a limitation on the server side, perhaps they throttle that to PSN.

You can try Wireshark to find the IP address of the PS3 speedtest server and ping/traceroute it. It could be a slow server in China for all I know, lol.

Message 27 of 38 (323 Views)
Sackboy
530 posts

Feb 14, 2013

I upgraded for a stupid standard router (where I only could play if I did IP forwarding <- which gave me a Nat 1 that worked but it was reset after every 24h discon, so I had to set the router up everyday to play) to the fritzbox, where it was possible to forward the ports as needed etc. I am on nat 2 now (with a LAN Cable connected, not on Wireless!)... but I still have troubles joining people in partys... it shows that it is unable but after three invites from three different people I can join the party.... silly... and hardly nobody waits 15min until I manage to join his party.

https://www.twitch.tv/aeonra/
Message 28 of 38 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 14, 2013

Aeonra wrote:

I upgraded for a stupid standard router (where I only could play if I did IP forwarding <- which gave me a Nat 1 that worked but it was reset after every 24h discon, so I had to set the router up everyday to play) to the fritzbox, where it was possible to forward the ports as needed etc. I am on nat 2 now (with a LAN Cable connected, not on Wireless!)... but I still have troubles joining people in partys... it shows that it is unable but after three invites from three different people I can join the party.... silly... and hardly nobody waits 15min until I manage to join his party.

Do you see many players with NO bars in the matchmaking?

Message 29 of 38 (295 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
938 posts

Feb 14, 2013

Excellent thread and good to know info Smiley Happy Thanks tap.

That being said; and since we are on this topic - I needed to check (since posting in the technical thread proves futile) about what you'd recommend as a "Good" router? If I want to buy a new router and I am going to since I need to re-wire my setup and unfortunately, the only way my PS3 can get online is wireless - I need to buy a router which would manage the fact that I'm on a wireless connection.

My connection is decent (30 down/3up) and I was hoping I do this right. Suggestions would help. Sorry for diverting the direction of this discussion a bit.

Cheers!~

-RyukDG

My YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/TheRyukDG || My Twitch: www.twitch.tv/TheRyukDG
Message 30 of 38 (281 Views)
0 Likes