Last Guardian
11295 posts

Re: Support for Ping Based Matchmaking

Sep 25, 2012

Duh, of course i support, but this is one of those things i doubt it'll ever happen, unfortunately.

Message 11 of 21 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2201 posts

Sep 25, 2012

Ping based matchmaking would be nice but this game has been online for 9 months now. I dont think ND can take the servers and change it around like that.

If you think something is impossible, you’ll make it impossible.
Message 12 of 21 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
495 posts

Sep 25, 2012

tln_SWE wrote:
They already take the latency into account during the matchmaking. It's just that the player pool isn't large enough to always get you matched up with players close to where you are.

And all the while people are asking for more game modes (e.g. Classic Mode) and map packs which further subdivide the player pool.

----------
All that said, fix matchmaking before anything else.
Message 13 of 21 (109 Views)
Splicer
49 posts

Sep 25, 2012

I also wanted to ask something about the laggers: 

My teammate started lagging before, but after I told him about it, he didn't know anything. He got this symbol in the middle of the screen, wich would sometimes tell you that you're lagging, but I also got this symbol before and then after I left, I checked my Internet and everything was perfect. So, here's my question, how do I know if I'm lagging or not? 

Message 14 of 21 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3959 posts

Sep 25, 2012
Assuming the player pool is small (beacause all we can do is assume) in most countries, and its already ping based matchmaking, so there is only one more step ND can take. Well, maybe 2.

First would be a hard region lock. But this might make alot of people mad. Not being able to find a match or connect with long distance friends.

Second is an optional region filter. This seems like the best option as it is OPTIONAL. Longer search times might make you switch the filter off occasionally, but I think this is a great way to attempt to combat the lag advantage.

Make it happen ND!
Message 15 of 21 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Sep 25, 2012

This would actually be a great idea. Even if it mean that only a max of 2 people can have a high ping while all other must have less.

Because in all honesty LAG is mainly caused by the fact that we play people with shoddy connections all the way around the world. A limit to this would improve performance.

I really hope 1.15 brings some sort of performance optimazations to game play latency.

I run a YouTube variety channel: The Puppet Hound Z Show. It features gaming, travel tours and tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/ZHX1138
Message 16 of 21 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 25, 2012

In all honesty I think it could be a Naughty Dog server issue because many of my friends have 25mb/s connections and they get  connection issues too.

I run a YouTube variety channel: The Puppet Hound Z Show. It features gaming, travel tours and tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/ZHX1138
Message 17 of 21 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
501 posts

Sep 25, 2012

Spaceass- wrote:

I also wanted to ask something about the laggers: 

My teammate started lagging before, but after I told him about it, he didn't know anything. He got this symbol in the middle of the screen, wich would sometimes tell you that you're lagging, but I also got this symbol before and then after I left, I checked my Internet and everything was perfect. So, here's my question, how do I know if I'm lagging or not? 

You can experience lag without seeing the disconnection icon pop up in the middle of your screen.  That icon is indicative that you haven't received timely game data packets over a period of time and may be an indicator of a dropped connection with the host.  A lot of variables go into online game play.  You or the host of the match may have an internet provider with a non-steady connection, or one side's internet connection might suddenly be bogged down as someone in the household decides to stream Netflix or a youtube video.  I used to have cable for internet and experienced a general slowdown of internet speed during 'prime time' hours.  Being hardwired to your router is much preferred vs WiFi connection, to cut down the odds of interference or dropped data packets locally.

Lag is visable when any object in the game seems to jump or studder, or when you feel like hitting buttons don't result in very responsive actions on screen.

Message 18 of 21 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
501 posts

Sep 25, 2012

ZHX1138 wrote:

In all honesty I think it could be a Naughty Dog server issue because many of my friends have 25mb/s connections and they get it too.

The 25mb/s connection just indicates that they have enough bandwidth to support the amount of data needed to be exchanged for the game.  Latency (the amount of time it takes for these data packets to reach their destination/the PS3 acting as the server/host of the game) is the more significant factor these days.

It can take 10-15ms for data to go from one place in the US to another and back, but just spot checking a server in the UK, I see that it takes on average 130ms for data to get there and back. 190ms to Japan and back.

That's why regional locks are a good approximation, though not a total substitute, for latency caps.

Message 19 of 21 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2178 posts

Sep 26, 2012
I find this relevant to SHUT_UP_FOOLS rap.

Message 20 of 21 (101 Views)
0 Likes